It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 PM   #76
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Deltoro,

Those comments from those pinheads really ticked me off! I remember I went into a convenience store to buy windshield fluid (during my initial break out) and the guy at the cash register begins telling me that I have really bad acne (no ***** sherlock!) and that he has this soap that I can purchase from him that will clear me up. Thanks, but MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! Honestly, no one understands the effects of acne other than those that go through it. No, this is not a serious disease that will kill you. But, the emotional effects can cause an unhealthy, isolated lifestyle. I know, on several occasions, I have been pointed out and asked "what do you think it is? what do you think is causing your acne?" And the most frustrating part is that I eat better than the average american... so, it ISNT something I or any of us are doing. Countless times, I have heard "You would be so gorgeous if your face cleared up." and it was worse overseas. But, it is actually funny, as my face clears up... I still notice my gestures and reactions (as an insecure girl hiding her face) are still there. I guess that something I ll have to work on...

On another note, a friend of mine recommended getting a hair analysis to detect heavy metals. In addition, she recommended checking certain vitamins deficiencies and/or abundancies which may be causing acne. I will try and keep you updated on what I discover and if it contributes to the acne. I, also, do think that it is a possibility that the strep is linked to the accutane. Not directly, but accutane does weaken your immune system... therefore making you more susceptibe to sicknesses. If you can, I would recommend a really good vitamin C and the vitamin called quercertin. It will boost your immune system which you need right now. Also, check if you can get some liver homeopathy to make sure your liver is properly functioning and flushing out. Honestly, I am in my 14 week. My side effects are so minimal. My ND says that I responded really well to the drug bc my body is functioning properly and my liver is being supported.and my derm is so impressed with my progress with my dose. He says the standard is 120mg per kg of body weight. It doesnt matter how long (atleast 20 weeks). But, that is the standard derms are coming up with. I started clearing my 5 th week... so , you should begin to see results soon. But, again, everyone is different.

Keep popping the pill... the results will follow! Did your derm up your dose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #77
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Eternal Bliss,

Thank You for your post. I misspoke when I said it wasn't due to the accutane, sorry I forget you guys can't read my mind!!!! I meant it wasn't due to the accutane irritating my throat, I had already assumed the sore throat was from my weaking immune system. So here is my question,1. can you outline what you are doing to help support your liver it sounds like you are really making this work for you and 2. I don't take vitamins very well. They make me very sick, literally I will just throw them right back up, so they have to be very gentle, this is why I try to have a balanced diet, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it I need a little more. I would love to be able to take Zinc as well, I wonder if I could take a childrens form of these and it would help or would that just be worthless? Lay it on me whatever you got on these two topics, I can see I better get on top of this ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #78
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Deltoro,

Because vitamins are not regulated by the FDA (which they should be), many vitamin formulas contain sugar, yeast, etc. (foods that people tend to be sensitive to). In addition, they may contain artificial additives. I think it s great that you try and get your vitamins from food sources. Those, in general, are the best forms! But, while on accutane, it is best to support your immune system, in order to function as best as it can. I am a middle school teacher on accutane... I am around germs all day. My school has no windows (haha... kinda weird). So, I know that all my precautions are helping me. Knock on wood for the last haul.

I take the following vitamins (name brands in parenthesis):
    1. AM vitamin (Advanced Vitamin Research) one in the AM
    2. PM vitamin(AVR) one in the PM
    3. Omega 3 fatty acids (Nordic Naturals- Artic Omega- 1000 mg)(1 with each meal - 3 per day) **
    4. Vitamin E 400 IU(AVR) 1 in AM **
    5. Borage oil (BioTech) 1 in AM; 1 in PM
    6. Calcium (AVR) 1 in AM; 1 in PM
    7. Vitamin C (AVR) one in AM; 1 in PM **
    8. Quercertin (not sure... I dont have the container... probably AVR or BIO TECH)
    9. acidofilus (sp?) (HMF-powder form, mix and drink) this helps make sure you bowel movement is functioning properly...again...body flushing itself of toxins.

The oils are highly recommended while on accutane. Think about it... you are drying your body out...anything that can "lubricate" you while pose positive benefits. In addition, the omega 3 assists in counteraffecting depression caused by accutane. My vitamins do have vit A in it. I double checked with my Dr. and he said it wasnt enough to affect me. The ones that I starred are the ones that I have found most effective. Check online to see if you can get them. Not sure if health food stores sell them.

I , also, take homeopathic drops. I take UNDA. You can research it online. I take numbers 20, 243, and 1. My blood work has not even budged! I take 7 drops of each under my tongue in the AM and PM. No food 15 min. prior or after. Stay away from mint (toothpaste, gum, etc.) for atleast 1-2 hours before and after.

If I do feel myself getting sick, I do WET SOCKS. This sounds crazy, but it works. First, I put a pair of cotton socks in ice cold water. Then, I take a hot shower. When I get out, I put the cold socks on.... and a pair of wool socks. Jump into bed... (kinda annoying sleeping with socks) When I wake in the morning, the socks are dry. I do it for about 3 days and I feel better. It is hydrotherapy. Your body releases your fever through your feet in order to dry the socks. there fore you let the fever pass... quite interesting! worth a shot, if interested.

My philosophy about accutane is that you NEED to be good to your body while on it. You need to take extra care of it and take all the precautions. It is a serious drug...if it wasnt... we would nt need to get monthly blood tests and it would not be as controversial as it is... Deltoro, keep me updated about how you feel. If you have ANY questions, ask. I was right where you were 10 weeks ago... so, any help I could give.... I would love to give!

Old 05-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #79
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Eternal Bliss

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge in your post! I will get on this ASAP. I can weed through most things, but vitamins have always been a difficult thing for me so I really appreciate your help. I went to my one month check up today. I am down from 25 active cyst to just 10! Which is a drastic improvement for me. My test where all fine, and guess what? I am not preggers..no big suprise there! My dosage was upped to 60mg every other day, 40 on the others, he did the whole math formula on my dosage after I agreed to the new dosage, so I was impressed he spent the time to show me where we where headed with the treatment. I have had 3 people today tell me they can see a big difference that my face is starting to dry out, so I am fired up about that! All in all a good day! Eternal Bliss, again much thanks for helping me sort this out.. one month down!

Old 05-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #80
    EricaNicole27
    (female)

EricaNicole27 HB User

Okay i'm sorry, but birth control (with no missing any pills) is fine. I mean come on, having a bf for so long and then your going to start wearing a condom every time, is to me, unrealistic. Maybe some people can do it, but damn thats hard...don't let it scare you...just be careful..

Old 05-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #81
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hey Guys doing well, started my new dosage today. Just have a quick question for you. When you went over 40mg a day (one pill) what was your dosage schedule like? Did you take it all at once one in the morning one at night? I have forgotten what my doc told me and can't call the office to confirm its saturday, I believe he said once in the morning and once at night. I wish I could take it all at night but don't want to do anything that might be harmful. Any help would be great..Thanks

Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #82
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

I've heard of alot of people taking it split dosage. Meaning, they take one pill with breakfast and one with dinner. This way, it keeps the medicine consistantly through your system..instead of all at once to process.

I'm glad you are doing well. Have you had an initial breakout?? If so, what was it like?

I am so broken out right now, and it looks awful under make up.. I really hate this. O well, I don't know what to do. And, I'm scared that my acne could be hormonal... and if so, accutane probably wouldn't even help..but I don't really know...

Old 05-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #83
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Juici-

I am doing very well, thanks for your post. I am not sure wether or not I had an intial breakout. I had days that where worse than others, but my skin was very bad so it would have been hard for it to get much worse and if it was I probably didn't notice because it was so bad to begin with. I imagine if yours is milder acne you may be able to track an intial breakout. My derm told me that the first month of accutane is to get rid of the acne you have and the next five months of the treatment is to prevent it from ever coming back. You have to consider that when I started I had 25 active cyst on my face and that has been cut to 10 in one month that is 75% improvement for me. I hope this helps it is a big decision, have you made up your mind on what you are going to do when you go back to the derm this week?

Old 05-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #84
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Juici-

Even if your acne is hormonal, the accutane should help. My Dr. said the hormonal acne is, usually, the hardest to "tame," but with patience it will pass. Good Luck. I hope you clear up!

Old 05-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #85
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Deltoro- I'm sorry, I totally made you repeat yourself by asking you about the initial. I completely forgot that I asked you that a few days ago and you already answered me! I apologize, but thank you for responding!
    I see what you mean, yeah. I have only 1 cyst right now- which is completely abnormal for me, but it is a giant one. (Literally about the size of a thumb nail...thank god its mostly under the skin and you cant really see it) But, I just recovered from about 4 active cysts, then I got this new one..and I have a BUNCH of smaller, regular type acne on my cheeks- which is weird because I do not get it there normally. So, something weird is going on. I think, if Accutane is offered, I might try it on a low dose..or something. I don't know honestly, because I'm so scared that I will be that small percentage that it doesn't work for, or i'll get some horrible side effect.

Eternal- Thanks for your post, as well. I've heard that before, actually- It should help because it closes the sebaceous glands by alot, and in turn your skin doesn't produce the cysts anymore. I can deal with regular zits here and there, but I CANNOT deal with these humungous cysts that are so painful and leave awful red marks and scars. So yea- I'm probably going to end up on Accutane at any rate.. I might as well do it as soon as possible.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #86
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hey anytime, no big deal. When I finally decided to go on accutane, I thought about it this way. I made a promise to myself that if I started seeing horrible side effects, such as loosing my hair or unbearable aches and whatnot that I would just stop the treatment. Believe me I am just about the unluckiest person you will ever meet in your life. For instance I have never meet anyone else that was hit with the game football at a football game three weeks in a row!!! I was just in the end field walking with some friends headed to the bathroom, consession stand, and out to the parking lot and got hit three times in a row with the game ball. SO believe me I understand you thinking you might be the one that has the bad side effects or it won't work for, I have bad luck and so far, so good. Like I said you can always stop your treatment.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #87
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

I started 3 days ago! So far with 3 doses I haven't noticed any difference at all - my skin/lips are not yet any dryer. I'm taking 20mg for 10 days to make sure I don't have a reaction before going up to 40mg.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 AM   #88
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

on 20 mg a day you might not have any side effects at all, on 40 I have had no real drying on my face just chapped lips about a week or so into the treatment, good luck to you!

Old 05-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #89
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Thanks! I have woken up with a headache on the fourth day. Did you get headaches?

Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #90
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

I did the first few days, and felt generally awfull. I made sure there after that I was eating enough, and enough of all the right things. After making sure my diet was balanced I have not had any headaches since. Be sure you are eating a balanced diet, this has helped me. If you continue to have headaches that are peresistent you'll need to call your derm and let him know what it going on.

Closed Thread