It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #91
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Today is my 2nd day of 2 pills a day I am taking 40mg on the even days and 80mg on the odd days. I can already tell my skin is much more sensitive. I had to drain a cyst this morning and usually I do it is over and the cyst goes away. Well the cyst did die off, but I can still feel the pain from where I did it and is has left a very red mark. I haven't had to do this since I started my treatment so hopefully I won't have to do it again. The left side of my face is 99% clear, my right side is about 50% clear. Which is weird I think, because I favor my left side and even sleep on that side of my face, I can't quite figure out why my right side is being so stubborn. I thought it might be my hair, but I wash it every day, and after I Chi it, usually tuck it behind my ears at work, so it wouldn't be on the right side of my face more than my left. Oh well,at least one side is clear! My big movie debut just happened, The Dukes Of Hazzard trailer just came out and you can see the back of my head in the bar scene.. I guess that makes me a supasta!!

Last edited by deltoro; 05-09-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #92
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Well I am about six weeks in to my treatment. My face has exploded, I am guessing from my dosage being upped from 40 to 60mg, no diet slips or anything like that so that is all I can really link it to. I am having the dreaded neck breakout as well, and I have never had acne on my neck before. No big deal just a little disappointing since I was doing really well, but I kind of expected this to happen. On a side note, I missed not being able to be in the sun and get a nice glow. I don't really tan or anything like that but just from being outdoors I generally have a nice tan glow by this time of the year.I am not a fan of self tanners, even the best ones make me orange, I have a very fair complexion so I had given up on the whole idea of a self tanner. I read some rave reviews of the Jergens Narural glow daily moisturizer. So I picked up a tube at Wally world a week or so ago, and I have to tell you, its a miracle! I love it. Its a daily moisturizer with just a hint of tanner in it. I use it in the mornings, doesn't smell bad or leave you streaky. Give it a whirl if you are in the same situation. Hope everyone is well..till next time

Old 05-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #93
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Sorry to hear about the flare up, but it'll get better! My skin hasn't really changed at all yet, but its only been a week on 20mg. I'm surprised though, cause I stopped using all my topicals when I started the medication and I still don't have new break outs. Crazy. Does that mean my topicals weren't at all effective?

Old 05-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #94
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Deltoro-
    Hey there! Well, when you say neck break-out... what do you mean? Do you have just a few breakouts there, or is it covered?? I'm afraid of this as well, so that's why I'm asking. I hope it all gets better! Hang in there, you'll be so happy you did.

Ive got the biggest cyst ever on my cheek next to my nose right now and it is just SO embarassing. I've got a few medium cysts scattered around as well, so I'm not happy. I keep thinking about accutane, and whether or not to take it. A girl on another forum got a pseudotumor from Accutane, and is built similar to me. So, that gets me pretty worried, ya know?

Anyway.. It'll be over soon and clear skin is on it's way!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 AM   #95
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Oh please. I thought links weren't allowed here?

Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #96
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

What a suprise loislucambe your selling something.

Juicy,
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, its true you never know when you will be the one that has a horrible side effect from the accutane, but the same could be said about your implants right? Try to reason that way, and like I said you can take care of yourself and always stop the treatment..have you been back to the derm yet? My neck breakout is about 3 pmples on my neck they aren't cyst.
    Mic1908- Doesn't neccesarily mean your topicals weren't working consider that it takes two weeks for acne to form, so you are just in a window period, and the accutane is now in your system!
    God Luck to all!!

Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #97
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Deltoro- That's a really good point. I didn't think of it like that. Hmmm.. See that, you made me think. Well, all i know is it is a huge challenge to have to go out today and face people, because of the huuuge cyst on my cheek- and the drying up cysts that make my makeup look AWFUL.. so yeah, today is definately a bad day.

The neck breakout doesn't sound too bad. I'm hoping it all stops soon for you.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #98
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

howdy all! just thought i'd check in w/ fellow sufferers here. all is going pretty well, but i did get a coupla pimples over the weekend. apparently it's not that great of an idea to crash in yer makeup two nights in a row. and, i confess, i did drink beer. i couldn't seem to help myself. actually, i showed quite a bit of restraint and only had three over three days, not too bad. i wished i could have had more, much more, as i was out w/ girlfriends at a concert, away from the man&child for the entire weekend. oh well. only a coupla months left to go!

i'm interested in the jergins lotion. del, you say that stuff really works? no bad smell? or streaks? since i turned 30 last year (and 31 is right around the corner- aah!!), no more tanning for me, but i hafta do SOMETHING!! i can't just run around all greenish white all the time, with my bruises showing and whatnot. pants are not an option, it is HOT here.

have you tried that sally hansen leg makeup? that works pretty well too, but it's a spray, kinda messy. and not moisturizing.

juici, what are you currently using for your acne? scripts, or otc? i'm so sorry you're having a bad skin day. i go up and down. i'll have a good day, then later that afternoon i'll start peeling and it's all downhill from there. so the cysts are gone, still working on the pimples, but the flaking has got to go. if it's not one thing it's another!

now i'm on a search to find something to lighten the marks that are left behind. i've read that shiseido has some good stuff. i'm shopping this weekend, i'll post in if i find anything good.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #99
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Arock- Hey sweetness, thanks for the post! I know what you mean- If it isn't one problem, it's another.. and honestly, it's always like that for me.

I've used the jergens lotion and I love it- It's so neat. Give it a try- It hasn't streaked on me at all. I'm definately having a bad skin day, though... It's awful, seriously. I am currently still taking 200 mgs of Doxycycline, and I use BP during the day, and Retin A Micro at night.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #100
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hey guys! Glad you stopped by. Ali you are having too much fun!! If there is such a thing. Glad you had a good time, sometimes things have to slide, skin is huge but so if FUN. I am totally loving the lotion. It slowly deposits a self tanner everyday, and in about a week you have a nice glow. If it works for me it will work for anyone, I am way to afraid to try anything that comes out of a can! It is called jergens natural glow daily moisturizer, pick some up and you will love it, a great body moisturizer and a self tanner in one, its fool proof and you kill two birds with one stone, I love it! It cost about four bucks, and apparently it is getting very hard to find so I ran back to walmart and bought six more tubes! I can't take a chance not having any!! No my neck isn't too bad, just a shock after being pretty clear for a few weeks. It will pass! Juci, keep your head up, I know it sucks when you can't even hide things with makeup, I have gone whole days not looking directly at people because of my face!!!!Talk to you girls lata!

Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #101
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User

i really really really wanna go on accutane.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #102
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hello all,

6 weeks into treatment and I have had some ups and downs this week. My skin freaked out a bit this week. Intinally as you all know I thought it was the uppage in my dose but when I looked at the calendar I realized that it was the week before my period, so that doesn't help either! Things have really calmed down and almost everything is drying up except for a few spots. Both sides of my face are looking much better I can actually see white skin on my checks not just one huge red inflamed area. This is very exciting to me. I had been lax about taking my prohibotics, but have gotten back on the wagon with that one. I am not having any real change from my new dosage which I am very pleased about, thought it might be hard times. I know most people have hair issues, and I did have dry scalp the first week and a half or so that made me miserable, but I take biotin and use nioxin and let me tell you I have always had good hair and fairly thick, I get it thinned out when I get my hair cut. But with the nioxin and the biotin and good diet, my hair has busted out like never before, it looks unbelievable. I had a long conversation with my hairstylist(my best friend) about what might happen to my hair so we where very carefull. She was freakin out when she saw my hair last week and how she was having to trim so much and thin more usual out. Weird but not bad! So my hair is fab, I have a nice glowy tan from the jergens and my skin is fairly clear! Life is good! I hope everyone is doing well!

Realsad, not sure of your situation, but I do believe it should be a very last resort for treatment. If this is the case you should speak to your derm regarding treatment and go from there!

Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #103
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey del, you sound great! what an attitude you have girl, i'm so jealous. but i'm so happy for you, sounds like you're treating yourself well. i gotta get some of that jergens!! i couldn't find it at the grocery, they had every other kind of jergens tho. and some coppertone thing that claimed to be the same, but i'm not taking any chances. i'll have to try target today. when i go shopping for new shoes for vegas-w/out-my-husband-- eeeee!!!

have you been washing your hair every day, or more every other? i've been going every other or so and rinsing and conditioning in between, but it's still getting pretty dry. and it seems to be totally falling out, it's all over everywhere, but i still seem to have plenty left, as i too have always had really thick hair. i don't know what the heck is going on. i'll tellya tho', i am so ready to be done with this medication! i catch every cold, and of course it's spring now so there are allergies to deal with too. not to mention the sun. the sun! used to be my friend, now it just burns me. that never, ever used to happen. ever! whaaaa? argh!

hey supasta, i have a ?? for you, (congratulation, btw! now i guess i'll have to go to the movies!) i'm thinking about auditioning for a film that's going to be shot here, but am pretty nervous about the "freckles" that are still all over my cheeks and jaw. i'd be interested in your opinion. due to the acne, i've been on about three auditions over the last five years, and i'm pretty sure my nervousness has prevented me from booking a single job. all the other girls seem tohave such nice creamy skin, ya know? what do you think? you don't seem to be slowed down too much by this. i try, but keep chickening out. just a teeeeensy bit of confidence i lack utterly. i have just enough to go to the grocery store, know what i'm saying here? okay, enough of that!

hey juici! still thinking about the tane? i don't know that i would recommend it, necessarily, if you can find something else that works, i would totally go for that. how long have you been taking the doxy? i took that for years and it really worked, but taking antibiotics for long periods of time, imo, not good for the health. i read somewhere online that there is a type of acne that results, primarily in women, from long term antibiotic use. Gram-Negative Folliculitis. might be what i have, but i don't really know. my derm just calls it acne, then we talk about vacations (one of my fave subjects!) and home improvements and stuff like that. i can be kinda scatterbrained sometimes. imo, the tane, truly a last resort, but it has been really working for me. not pleasant, i'm itchy a lot now, weird, hair kinda dry, sick all the time (but i have a kindergartener at home so some of that is to be expected), and am getting sunburns for the first time in my life, but my skin is looking so much better. everytime i see someone i haven't in awhile they comment on it. slightly obnoxious, but so much better than when i was looking bad and they wouldn't say anything, just stare or look away, you know how it goes. they either can't not look or can't look at all, but they can't seem to just look ya in the eyes. i hated that.

anyhoo, enough of my blather, i know i go on and on. realsad, you really should see a derm asap. best of luck to you! ali

Old 05-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #104
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Oh Ali! I promise you are the only one thinking so much about your face!! It sucked that my face wasn't any clearer when I was an extra for Dukes, but I would have kicked myself had I not taken the opportunity! I had so much fun we worked for about two weeks on Louisana, my best friend loves Burt Reynolds, so we took vacation time and went down and did it. Try not to even think of it as an issue, its just your nerves thinking everyone else it disecting you to pieces. Have fun in Vegas! Don't be suprised if you have a hard time finding the Jergens Natural glow lotion, like I said from what I have heard there has been a huge run on the stuff, and there was a huge article in the NY times about it, so that never helps.So when you find some be sure to buy all you can! Be sure to check the kind you get, there is one for fair, medium and dark skin. I am soo jealous you are going to Vegas!!! I have tried not to let me skin hold me back, I spent alot of time letting things hold me back, and one day I realized, why the hell did I do that? Time is something you can never get back, so seize the day and don't live with regret of what you should have or could have done!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #105
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

you rock the house del. you know how hard it can be just getting up there and doing your thing, but when it feels like you have all these neon signs all over your face... aah! thankyouthankyouthankyouthankYOU.

sounds like you had such a great time working on that project. i'm going to go for it, skin be damned. you are so right, the only thing i have ever regretted are the things that i haven't done. you are so wise! *lol* seriously.

vegas is going to be great! we're even staying at paris, i've only gambled there (nickel slots- won $150, that's a lotta nickels!) in the past, so i'm really excited. and memorial weekend too, should be off the chain. i can't wait! i'll put a buck in a thunder from down under's pants for you! hahahahaaaa

Closed Thread