It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• will derm prescribe me accutane?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
    TessaBoo
    (female)

TessaBoo HB User
    Unhappy will derm prescribe me accutane?

Hello everybody. I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist but they cant fit me in until the beginning of May. I've suffered from acne since I was about 11 years old, and the severity of my condition ranges from moderate to severe. My family practioner has prescribed me many topicals, antiobiotics, and I am currently on the pill. She has recommended I see a dermatologist about going on accutane when i was younger, but after reading about all the side affects I backed out. 3 years later, I am fed up and a little braver. Currently, I am only using proactiv and its keeping my acne at bay, leaving me with mild to moderate acne. If my derm sees my face on a "good day," do you think she will still prescribe me accutane? My concern is if I should stop using all acne products before seeing the derm so she can see the severity of my real condition. I would hate to hear no because I was having a good week due to BP. I definitely don't want to play trial and error with creams and antibiotics again...

thanx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
    member86
    (female)

member86 HB User
    Re: will derm prescribe me accutane?

Not until the beginning of May? That almost happened to me but I called and told them the severity of the situation and that I needed to see a doctor right away because each cyst was leaving an indented scar on my face and I was freaking out and my face was hurting a lot. After I told them that, they gave me an appointment right away. I don't know if your acne is as severe as mine or if you're willing to wait until May, but you might want to consider calling them back and seeing if they could get you in sooner. If it really is that severe, they need to know.

Also when you go into the doctors, if your skin does look better, tell him how it was before and let him know your frustration.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

I personally started acne at age 11 and have been on everything to try to clear it up but for some reason I had this derm that just wouldn't give me accutane. So I decided that's it, I know I want to be on accutane and I am not going to give up. I made three appointments with three different dermatologist that way if one said no I would have two more tries. I took pictures of my face everyday for three weeks so if my skin cleared up before these appointments I could show my derm how bad it was. I also brought a list of everything I had been on for my acne (even non-perscription) and the name and numbers of the dermatologist I had seen and family physicians as well. I also about two months before this went and got an IUD put in because I know how crazy they are about not wanting you to get pregnant. So I go to the first Derm appointment and that derm said his practice doesn't perscribe accutane (I was mad) but I didn't give up. Next derm I saw I presented my pictures, my list of medications and my acne history and no questions asked she put me on accutane right away (after two pregnancy tests and some blood work) I am on day 4...so far so good. so anyway if that's what you want, you have to fight for it sometimes. It's your body, take charge lol good luck

Old 03-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
    FranktheTank
    (male)

FranktheTank HB User

Well, I think if nothing else has worked for you, then you should go on accutane. I told my derm that nothing else has worked and he immediately put me on it. I'm on my third month. Not too much of a difference yet, but I'm prayin.

Closed Thread