It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• holistic suggestions while on accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User
    holistic suggestions while on accutane

I think it is important to be pro-activ while on accutane. It is a serious drug with many side effects if the right pre cautions are not taken. In fact, I do many naturopathic approaches to avoid serious side effects. I am a true believer of "holistic" medicine, acupuncture, nutrition, and homeopathy. I have tried everything to clear my acne, but to no avail...nothing worked. Before I went on accutane, I tried it all to discover the culprit of my acne. I eliminated sugar from my diet because I discovered I am sensitive to it, I did every "natural" remedy (homeopathy, acupuncture, fasting to eliminate all toxins) , I had 3 sessions of the smoothbeamlaser, but my acne was persistent. It was actually worsened after the smoothbeam. I am on my 10th week of accutane. And I am happy to say that I am seeing wonderful results with tolerable side effects. My lower back bothers me from time to time, but that's all at the moment. My lips are not dry at all. Maybe once per week... they get really dry and exfoliate themselves. I was very nervous about accutane because my body is very sensitive. But, (knock on wood) I have been doing really well. I think it is, also, because my regimen is very strict.

1. I take Omega-3 fatty acid capsules (supposedly countereffects depression)
    2. little sugar bc your teeth get dry and many people develope cavaties after accutane
    3. Vit E capsules
    4. I wash my face with all Dr. Hauschka products. My lips LOVE the lip care stick. I think this is why my lips have not been as chapped. Other chapsticks can be addictive. This line is a little pricey, but to me it is well worth it. It is all natural.
    5. Humidifier in my room.
    6. LOTS of water everyday
    7. acidofolis (sp?) for the good bacteria in your stomach. You can eat yogurt for the good bacteria. but make sure it is organic (hormones can affect your acne) and make sure it is plain (others have too much sugar)
    8. nioxin for hair
    9. I have a kick *** insurance plan through my job that covers acupuncture. so, i get it every few weeks.
    10. I am on liver detoxes (homeopathy) to make sure everthing is being flushed.
    11. Borage oil capsules
    12. I am not drinking alcohol at all
    13. I am a contact wearer. I wear my contacts to work (Complete Moisture Plus has been my solution). I ll put some refresh tears in my eyes before bed. DO NOT USE VISINE! Make sure you use natural tears.
    14. Make up: Jane Iredale has a wonderful line of make up (again, a little pricey...but, well worth it.) It is the Purepressed Base with spf 17. It works really well esp on the red marks left over from your acne when your face begins to clear.
    15. really good AM/PM vitamins.

So, continue to be vigilant about your health (on and off accutane). You ll notice you re body will appreciate it!

Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: holistic suggestions while on accutane

I could not agree more, any and all precautions should be taken before during and after treatment! I really believe an approach of this kind will give optimal results from the drug, reduce side effects and cleanse the body after the drug has done its work greatly reducing any chance of long term damage to your system. It is very important to be educated about your body.

Closed Thread