It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Official Acne Success Story Thread.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
    froe
    Inactive
    (male)

froe HB User
    Talking Official Acne Success Story Thread.

There are many who have been to this forum and have actually cured their acne. If you consider yourself a success story reply here. Please, IF HAVE BEATEN ACNE, please reply here. DON'T BE LAZY. It would greatly benefit everyone and would be greatly appreciated. I know that most people who have beaten acne would have probably stop going to this board, but there are those who still linger around to help people.

Describe your state of acne (mild, severe..), and what you exactly did to stop acne. Liver cleanse? Diet? Topical Medication ? (how many times you apply) Oral medication? (include dosage). Whatever. How long did it take before you started seeing results? Describe and include any info or advice you think it is worth mentioning.

To ensure the quality of this thread with just success stories, if you have questions towards a specific success story, start another thread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
    veggigoddess
    Veteran
    (female)

veggigoddess HB User
    Re: Official Acne Success Story Thread.

Well my hubby has medium acne as an adolescent-teenager and one day this customer at a store he worked at asked him if is drank milk regularly and he said yes (he drank milk each day actually 2%) she told him that could be the main cause for his acne. He stopped drinking it just to see and it turned out she was right! He was able to consume other dairy products w/ no issues effecting his skin, but cutting out drinking his 2% milk all together dramatically decreased if not eliminated his acne w/ in a month or less. He did and does have oily skin so I'm sure that fact along w/ the milk counteracted somehow, but I just wonder how many of those w/ acne drink milk and how many would be so much better off if they just cut that out.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
    Tammara1117
    (female)

Tammara1117 HB User

Hi I am new to signing up on this board but have always looked here trying to find a way to cure my acne. I am a licensed esthetitian and have always been embarrassed to work in skincare because my acne was so bad. I had a boyfriend (who I dumped) that was very embarrassed of my face. He never had acne so he didn't understand. After I got a little older my acne varied. It cleared up sometimes but always came back. Then I got on here one day and someone mentioned milk thistle worked well for acne. I had always taken a lot of vitamins for my acne and they always helped, but I got tired of taking 20 pills a day. I started taking milk thistle, only 3 a day and my acne cleared. I am taking the GNC brand. They actually make 2 kinds. The bottles look the same but they are not. They make a small bottle and a bigger bottle. I have bought both and the smaller bottle always works better. I think because it has olive oil in it, which is very good for your skin. The bigger bottle doesn't. The smaller bottle has 30 capsules in it and the pills are green, the bigger bottle has 90 capsules and the pills are brown. When I was using the bigger bottle with the brown pills they didn't clear my skin half as good as the green pills. Then when I started with the green pills again, my skin cleared up. Even during my period my skin stays clear, which is a miracle for me. Back in November my skin was so bad. My jawline was literally covered in big zits and someone even asked it I was contagious. It was so embarrassing. Now I hardly wear makeup anymore. I hope this helps someone. And I hope my post was understandable. If you have any questions please let me know. I have been studying the skin for many years now and I know a lot about it. But no matter what I could never clear my skin. Now I am definitely going to try to find a job as a esthetitian.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
    InTheDarkness

InTheDarkness HB User

I had pretty bad acne, but not cystic, since I was in the 7th grade. But now, I'm 99% clear and what I did was, after trying every freaking topical in the world, I quit washing with harsh products and shower once a day at night. I had body acne so I quit using soap on it and just use water, and now that has cleared up and i just get my hands lathered up and put the soap on my face and I'm 100% happy in my skin.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #5
    zara1
    (female)

zara1 HB User

My acne was managable and i would only breakout during the time of the month but in january i had the biggest breakout ever, my face was swollen, i had a bunch of cysts.
    Anyway, like always i went for the otc stuff and nothing seemed to help and i didnt want antibiotics because of past experience so i went to a chinese herbalist and he gave me gave me a bunch of herbal pills to help release toxins and told me to eliminate certain foods such as red meat, diary, spicy food etc. So i stuck to everything he told me to do.
    Also my workmate gave me this medicated african soap with sa in it and told me to give it a shot, i was very sceptical but gave it a go. It didnt dry my skin out at all and it really helped my skin.
    Now 3 month later i have no pimple i can feel a couple under the skin but those dont bother me.
    recently i took liporexin but i dont think i took it long enough to give it credit.
    After all this i think it worked for me coz my acne was diet related and i dont think the chinese doc did any miracles but educated me about how foods can affect your overall health and i know if someone told me to do this i would not of stuck to it, i did in this case coz a doc told me to.
    Now i just wash my face twice a day with this soap called Tura medicated soap (its only 1), use acv toner to help with the scars and moisturise when i need to, drink upto 3 litres of water and avoid hte foods that i think affect my skin. I just need to see at during my peroid how it comes out.
    I'm very happy with my skin now.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
    spotty99
    (female)

spotty99 HB User

35 and had acne for 20 years now. It comes and go over the years. But had the worst kind of breakout 5 months ago - never ever had I experienced such a horrific breakout. Taking a liver detox pill for 3 months (with milk thistle/dandelion/burdock) made my acne even worst - opposite the reaction what the earlier post. So, I stopped and immediately saw a derm who put me on DOXYCYLINE and DALACIN. Within 1 month, my acne was cleared 100% and I have remain clear (I get some zits during that time of the month but they go away pretty fast). I stopped taking Doxy for a month now and touch wood, have remain clear still. I use Dalacin from time to time when I have zits. I continued to drink about 3 lts of water at least, loads of fruits and vege, exercise at least 20 mins 3 to 4 times a day. I also have chemical peels and micro derm for my scars now. All in all, I think it has help speed up the recovery process. I AM happy with how my skin has recovered. I am now working on getting rid of my red marks and smoothing out my rolling scars faster.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
    froe
    Inactive
    (male)

froe HB User

anybody else with success stories?

Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
    DaOutlaw
    (male)

DaOutlaw HB User

I'm currently 19 years old, but I feel like I had acne forever. My face is clear now and the red marks are only visible up close, but nobody's face is perfectly clear of blemishes. I had acne from the age of 14 to 17, and it was terrible. It was not like I went from a mild case of acne to severe; I pretty much went to severe overnight. Acne hit my face hard, but mostly my self-esteem. I went from being the popular jock, ladies man, to a depressed kid with acne. I'm just now starting to recover.In my days of acne , I was very depressed and deprived myself of everything. I would try all the tips and methods offered on this site but to no avail. I tried all the acne diets, but they're all bs and a waste of time. Unless you're truly allergic to a specific type food, it won't irritate your skin. I used to think that my diet was the culprit, but when I was on Accutane, I was able to eat anything and not breakout. That experience alone showed me there was no correlation between acne and diet, or at least in my case. I even avoided the sun and became very pale, and I would advise you all not to do it. I've been tanning gradually for the past month, and I must say, the sun has an incredible effect on the skin. My skin looks so good now, and the red marks are blended in with the rest of my skin. We all know that when a whitehead is exposed to air or the sun it becomes oxidized and turns into a blackhead, so a little sun is necessary. If you have very oily skin, carrying blotting sheets or tissue is a must.

Now down to the important stuff. I've tried many doctor prescribed medications and OTC drugs, but a lot of it was worthless. I was on Tetracycline, and it's a powerful, effective drug, but does nothing for your everyday pimples, only effective against cysts and deep infected bumps. I've tried Retin-A micro twice. The first time I tried was before I went onto Accutane and it did nothing but further irritate my skin. My second time on it was effective, I guess. I had already taken Accutane, and I was prescribed Retin-A micro to help fade the red marks. I went through a myriad of OTC soaps, creams, sun lotions, but they all sucked. When you go shopping for soap and things of that nature, don't buy anything that says it combats acne, because those are the worse, and does anything but help your acne. Accutane was the only drug that truly worked. I experienced dry skin, dry lips, joint pain, but it was worth it. The side-effects subsided a couple weeks after I got off Accutane. My skin is now normal --- not too dry nor is it too oily. Accutane isn't dangerous at all if you're being supervised by a good doctor and keep up with your lab tests.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
    utlonhghorn
    (male)

utlonhghorn HB User

I had struggled with acne since i was 15 (am 20 now). Finally in January after trying every OTC from Murad's complex, proactiv, neutrogena, clean and clear stuff,........ I went to my physician for a derm's referral. he said he could treat it and gave me differin gel and a minocycline prescription. In the next 8 weeks my acne got MUCH WORSE. Disturbed by this, I went to a derm who said that the differin wasn't strong enough for me and prescribed Retin A micro (lower concentration(. Within 6 weeks of using Retin A my acne was totally gone. Now for the last 2 months, I have not had a single pimple which is obviously a huge difference from having 2-3 on my face at any moment.
    Now I am also using a glycolic cleanser which has really softened my skin and helped with texture. Although everyone has told me there is no way that I need anythign else done, I am getting microderm done (first session with my aesthetician at the derm's office) this Monday! I am excited.
    I had tried every single type of product and now I wish I had just gone to a derm much sooner especially since i Have insurance, my retin a costs me only my copay which is SOOOO much cheaper than some of the OTC products I bought (murad - 50, proactiv - 35,...) that didn't even work. The advice I would give is to go to a derm. They have the proven, strong stuff. Also secondly I must say that acne is not really caused by foods. Certain foods can cause hormone levels to increase which can cause acne but it doesn't have a very stong effect. I used to think that caffeine (in cokes, chocolate, etc) caused my acne so I stopped consuming it for a yr. For the last few months, I have been having as much of it as I want w/o a single pimple.
    Good luck to everyone

Last edited by utlonhghorn; 05-21-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
    jellybean321
    Inactive
    (female)

jellybean321 HB User

Well just like everyone else, I had acne for a really really long time and i was devestated. I started wearing makeup right away and my face got worse but I wore more makeup to hide it. What helped clear me up is when I stopped wearing makeup all together. It was humiliating and I didn't do anything besides go to class and go home for about 1 month but it really worked.

Also, sunscreen seemed to help my face alot. I wore sunscreen instead of makeup and it took out all of the red from my face which made it look alot better. I am almost clear now, I only have a couple of pimples but I no longer have acne.

I guess it seems obvious that makeup will make your skin worse, but it was hard to tell for me. It took many weeks for me to clear but I know that's what did it because this is the clearest I've been in 4 years.

As for cleansing, I use Murad cleanser and nothing else in the morning and night.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
    bunnysnuggle
    (female)

bunnysnuggle HB User

I had mild acne during my teens but it really flared up after I returned from a 9 month trip in south east asia.

It was bad. I remember looking in the mirror looking at all these hideous spots coming up and thinking that it was just a phase. Wrong! Ten years later and at 28 I still had painfull lumps, spots, blackheads all over my face and back - my skin was a mess. I tried soooo many different products. Numerous types of antibiotics, 2 courses of Accutane, topicals like Retin A and any cure all product I saw advertised.

In the end nothing really worked. Accutane cleared my skin amazingly for a year or two, but then it all came back. Twice. In the end I got incredibly resentful of doctors who I felt were peddling these quack treatments which didn't even work and were doing who knows what kind of damage to my body.

Last December I was remembering my trip to east Asia before I came back home and the massive outbreaks started. It occured to me that my diet at that time consisted almost entirely of local/traditional foods.

For example in Japan I lived on fish, meat, rice, seafood, a few veges and fruits. I had sweets fairly often and would sometimes crumble and visit a local McD's. However my diet contained practically no dairy.

Fast forward to my return home and I returned to old eating habits. Cheese, milk, butter - all things I adore - were again in my everyday diet, which happened to coincide with my skin breaking out.

Last December I decided to experiment and cut all dairy from my diet. Difficult - but I thought if I was going to do it do it properly. The results were not immediate. But slowly and consistently my skin has began to clear up and heal itself in the past 6 months.

Today I have 1 spot on my face which is excellent!. I still get occasional spots but nothing like before and no longer cystic. My blackheads have all disappeared (with some help I admit) AND are not coming back. I think my scarring, which was very bad, has been helped greatly by the Aloe Vera gel (99.9% pure) I put on before moisturiser, morning and evening.

Not everyone is the same and I am not claiming that everyone will have the same results as me from cutting out dairy. From what I read on these message boards though it does appear to me that different people have different acne triggers in their diets whether it be sugars, carbs or, as in my case, dairy. Changing and experimenting with your diet may provide you with an unexpected solution.

ps. I ate a lot of green leaf vegetables and took a supplement to to make up for calcium deficits.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 AM   #12
    froe
    Inactive
    (male)

froe HB User

thanks for the replies... any other success stories to share?

Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
    froe
    Inactive
    (male)

froe HB User

i'm just bumping this thread up.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

First off, I'm female, 25, and my face is now almost completely clear.

My acne first started when I was about 16, and it was mild. Mostly pustules on my jawline and chin, but not really any cysts. I tried proactive, and just about every acne facial cleanser, salicyclic acid, benzoyl peroxide, icing my face, glycolic acid...the list goes on and on. I also tried numerous prescriptions for different oral antibiotics (minocycline, tetracycline), topical antibiotics (erythromycin), retin-a cream and differin gel (however, I do not think I gave these topicals a fair chance and quit too soon), and a ton of different birth control pills (orthotricyclen, yasmin, levlen).

I went away to college, and since my acne wasn't terrible, I kind of just let things go and accepted the fact that I'd always have zits.

Once I graduated, I moved back home. I (for some strange reason) thought that maybe it was the birth control pills that were causing my acne. Soo, I took myself off of them and decided to wait and see what happened. My acne started getting horrible, and I started getting zits in places I never had before (my cheeks got really bad-- I used to joke that I looked like I had a "zit beard"). Soo, after about 6 months of that, I was fed up and went back to the derm.

The derm thought that I'd do well on doxycycline (100 mg 2 times a day), retin-a 0.025% cream (actually it's generic "Avita"), and generic ortho-tricyclen bc pills. I went home thinking, geez, this is not going to work!!! But, I read all the instructions very thoroughly, and gave it a shot.

At first my acne got worse. I started out using the retin-a every night (even though the doc suggested weening myself onto it. I wanted to get through the initial breakout phase ASAP). I even got all crazy and kept a log of how bad my acne was (on a scale of 1-10) and what foods I was eating (just to see if I could correlate any sort of diet issues with the acne).

At about weeks 6-8, my acne was at it's worst. however, after about weeks 10-12, it started subsiding very very very gradually. It's now been 11 months, and I barely ever get zits. Right now I have one teeny tiny one. I still have some redness (probably from the retin-a), and I'm not really sure if it will ever go away. But, for me, i'd take redness over painful zits anyday.

Sooo, I'm still taking the 3 meds (and I'm wondering what sort of damage I'm doing to my intestines with the long-term antibiotic use, but my Doc tryed reassuring me that it's not a problem). I wash my face in the AM and PM with Cetaphil. In the daytime I use Neutrogena's Healthy Defense SPF 30 moisturizer.

I never really determined any correlation with my diet, so I haven't changed anything (although, I'm sure if I cut out all the refined sugars and dairy I would probably see an improvement).

Well, if you're still reading this you must be bored! Sorry it was so long. If I had one piece of advice to give it would be to allow time for your acne to improve. SO many people on this board will say bad things about a med, but they wouldn't give it enough time to see results. Things are almost always going to get worse before they get better. So just follow the instructions carefully and give it time. Oh, also (i'm sure this is obvious). Don't touch your face!!! I used to be a big picker, and I would make my zits SO much worse than they could have been had I left them alone.

Good luck to everyone...I hope this helps someone!

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 06-17-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #15
    EricaNicole27
    (female)

EricaNicole27 HB User

( - removed - do not post pictures or links to pictures - )

I hope those pics worked. ok it didn't..what a strange messege board. Well where the stars are it should say photo bucket <--one word though (no space), try the link like that...

I have 2 weeks left on Accutane and it worked absolute miracles for me. I have tried antibiotics, EVERYTHING and nothing worked but Accutane. I was on and am on 40mg a day and was put on the medication for 5 monthes. Time went by fast.

I use the 3 step skin system by Clinique and I have always loved it. For the face wash I use the foaming cleanser, for the second step I use the clarifying lotion which is like a astringent (but totally different), and for the moisterizer I use the Dramatically different Gel.

I don't even have to wear any face makeup anymore, which saves a lot of time in the morning.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-17-2005 at 04:26 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Closed Thread