It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Women: Does this happen to your skin on Birth Control?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User
    Women: Does this happen to your skin on Birth Control?

I have been on Birth Control Pills to "help" my skin and regulate my cycle for over 1 year. I started with Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, and was switched to regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen in January because of horrible cystic acne and mood swings.

Before I started BCPs last year, my skin would always break out really bad along my chin and T-zone the week of my period. Now that I am on OTC, my skin is actually BEAUTIFUL during the week of my period! Then, as soon as I start a new pill pack, my face practically explodes with pimples! Is this because of the hormones in the pills?? Could it be an initial breakout??

I need to know if I should stick it out for the full 6 months to see results...anyone else have "fluctuating" skin on BCP??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
    Re: Women: Does this happen to your skin on Birth Control?

I was the exact same way when I was on OTC. I would dread the first 2 weeks of my new pack of pills because my face would look horrid. I assume it's the hormones in the pill but I've been off bc so I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Hi Bostongirl - I agree that it is probably the hormones in the pills too. The week on the placebo pills, there are no hormones going into the body, so once I start a new pack, everything goes crazy!

I am just upset b/c OTC is supposed to help with acne, not make things worse, then better, then worse, then better!! Are there any other pills on the market that don't cause this fluctuating effect?

Old 04-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Hi Laura,
    It took me a good 8-9 months before my skin started getting better on OTC and then I decided to try Ortho Evra (which was a horrible idea because the cysts came back and much worse than when I was on OTC). It took accutane to get my face back to normal. I would like to go back on bcp but I'm afraid what the hormones might do. I have a friend who used Yasmin and her skin is beautiful. She had moderate breakouts before bcp and she's never had any issues with Yasmin.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
    SunKissed
    Veteran
    (female)

SunKissed HB User

I have been on Ortho Tricyclen Lo also and it makes me break out so bad, especially when starting a new pack during that first week. The week off, when I get my period, my skin is also BEAUTIFUL. Not a pimple at all. lol-so it must be the hormones.

I am off ortho lo now and starting Lo Ovral..anyone have experiences with this pill?

Old 04-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Thanks for responding ladies! As much as I hate to say it, I guess I will just have to tough it out and actually look forward to the week of my period for a change! HeHe

Old 04-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #7
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Laura,
    Was your skin more broken out before bcp? Have you had any luck with any other bcps or tried antibiotics?

Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Hi again BostonGirl -

I guess I should be more specific and explain my whole story to you! It's kinda long, but maybe other people can relate!

Before I started BCP, my acne was relatively mild, but sometimes moderate around my period. It focused on my forehead, nose, and a little bit on the crease of my chin. I suffered mostly from whiteheads, blackheads, and a random pustule. I dealt with it on my own with tons of over-the-counter acne treatments all through middle school and most of HS. My dad even bought me Proactiv, which worked for awhile, but then just stopped and made things worse! Finally, I was referred to a dermatologist who put me on many rounds of antibiotics. I can't remember all of the names, but a few he tried on me were Tetracycline, Erythromycin (which made me sick), Keflex, Doxycycline, and Minocycline (which I was on for the longest amount of time). The antibiotics helped a lot for awhile along with Retin-A Micro, but the side-effects got to be a little bit annoying--I was getting yeast infections pretty much 2 times a month! So, for awhile, I just used the Retin-A Micro in hopes that my skin would still stay relatively clear. It didn't really work on it's own, so I finally made an appointment with a gyno (while I was at college) who put me on OTC Lo saying that it would help my bad PMS/cramps, regulate my cycle, and help me with acne.

About a month after I started OTC Lo BCP, my chin and jawline seemed to explode with pimples...lots of cysts too! I thought it was just the initial breakout and stuck it out for about 10 months! My skin did improve a little bit in months 5-7, but then got worse again! I have the scars to prove it! At the same time that I was on OTC Lo, I tried Duac Gel and then Differin Cream and Spiro hoping they would counteract the hormones in the pill. Unfortunately, I was still breaking out horribly! My skin was even a wreck when my family went on vacation with clusters of cysts on my chin! So, I made an appointment with my gyno again--in hopes of being switched to Yasmin, Desogen, or regular OTC. The gyno said that since I never had bad side effects with OTC Lo, that I should try the regular OTC. Basically, since March of this year, I have been taking regular OTC, waiting impatiently for my skin to clear.

Another side story is that I switched dermatologists in March due to insurance coverage and she put me on Clenia Foaming Wash 1x per day, Retin-A Micro (again at night), and Rosac cream (during the day). She told me that if I wasn't away at school, she would try me on accutane, but I am still a little bit scared to go that route.

On the new regime, my skin was a little bit red and peeling, but looked great (because it was the week of my period). Last week when I started the new pill pack, my face exploded and none of the topicals seem to be helping. I guess I will tough it out for awhile and see what happens....if only I could stop picking!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for reading my story...I am open for any words of encouragement/advice!

Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
    kittikat

kittikat HB User

The same thing happened to me. I stopped taking birth control and my skin is not breaking out like it did before. Now I only breakout around my period. I feel a lot better off birth control too. No more mood swings and headaches. Oh they were the worst. Anyway, my advice is to stopped taking birth control or switch to a different brand. I took Levulan for years with no negative side effects. I switched to OTC because I thought it was good for acne. Oh well. The birth control made my acne worse and with all the side effects it was not worth it.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
    SuzyB0731
    (female)

SuzyB0731 HB User

omg that is exactly how i was too!!! right now im on accutane and they put me on seasonale so im not sure if the seasonale is making me break out b/c the accutane is supposed to ya know....
    i hate it though cuz BC is supposed to clear up ur skin and it actually made mine worse!

Old 04-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
    SwallonFaCe
    (female)

SwallonFaCe HB User

I just started taking Yasmin 28 to regulate my periods and to help me with my ance. I don't have servre acne just mild acne with some pimples here and there.

I was just wondering if any of you here have tried Yasmin 28 and have soon any improvements in your skin.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #12
    SuzyB0731
    (female)

SuzyB0731 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwallonFaCe
    I just started taking Yasmin 28 to regulate my periods and to help me with my ance. I don't have servre acne just mild acne with some pimples here and there.

I was just wondering if any of you here have tried Yasmin 28 and have soon any improvements in your skin.
    yasmin was the only BC that made my skin clear up great however.... it eventually started causing severe 24/7 PMS so i had to stop taking it, but it's different for everyone. i've heard though a lot of success w/ yasmin and clearin up acne tho

Old 04-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

kittikat -

I'm glad that your acne is getting better now that you are off BCP. Unfortunately for me, going off OTC is not an option at the moment.

I forgot to mention in my long post, but at my last gyno appointment, he felt a lump in my left breast. They sent me for an ultrasound, and thankfully the pictures came back normal. I'm only 22, but my mom was diagnosed with fibrocystic disease when she was 21, so they are keeping me on BCP until they can be certain what the problem is.

Also, I am still in college (and do not want to risk getting pregnant. I guess I would rather be on the safe side...even though acne is a side effect of most BCPs. Did your skin get better at all when you were on OTC? Did you notice that your skin got better during the week of the placebo pills like I mentioned in my 1st post?

Suzy and Swallon -

I am also curious about Yasmin. I have heard both good and bad things about it, but mostly good when it comes to acne. Do a search in the Birth Control forum for some of the other effects people experienced. Good luck!

Last edited by LauraOSU05; 04-17-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:10 AM   #14
    yahgler

yahgler HB User

I was on OTC to see if it would help with my acne, and my face seemed to get worse (I've had mild-moderate acne since I was 18, and I'm 24 now). I switched to Desogen. It's a monophasic pill, which is great since if it's necessary to skip a period this stuff works really well for me, and it has anti-androgenic properties like OTC but uses different hormones. I think it's really helped me - my acne is definitely mild now, and I still get the occasional zit, but I'm not completely breaking out like I was when I was on OTC.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #15
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Hi -

Most of the BPCs I've used have improved my acne, but over the past 2 years it's been getting worse. I'm 37 years old - I should not be having this. My doctor just switched me to Lo Ovral, and so far no change, but it's been less than two weeks. (Going off the pills isn't an options because I have to take them for a hormone imbalance - which may be why I still have acne at my age.)

Does anyone know, generally speaking, how long you should try a pill before giving up and switching? I'm planning on giving it three months, but just wondering what other people have experienced.

I woud ask my doctor, but my last doctor retired and the guy I saw after that moved to another clinic that I can't go to, and then my clinic shut down, and I still have to find a new clinic and a new doctor.

Closed Thread