It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• On Accutane, scar questions.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User
    On Accutane, scar questions.

Hi Everyone,

I am on my 11th week of accutane (Day 81, to be exact). I have had ongoing acne since I was 17, but kept it under control with antibiotics. I went off the antibiotics in Sept. 03 and my face was clear. THEN, in April 04, my chin began to break out. THEN, in July, my face exploded. I went back on Antiobiotics for late Aug, Sept, and Oct and found out about Smoothbeam. So, I was on the Antibiotics, again (sigh) for 2 months. Took a month off and tried the smoothbeam. The smoothbeam didnt help. It made it worse (everyone is different). So, I leaped on to the Accutane journey in January. My point is I didnt realize how bad I was going to scar. Overall, my face was not broken out horrible for too long.

I am on accutane, and as my face is clearing, the textureis not smooth at all. I do not have deep scarring, but it is very uneven. I am not worried about the discoloration. My derm told me it would fade. He also said I would have minimal if any scarring. But, we won't know that until I am completely clear. I find it hard to believe because like I said the texture is indented. Has anyone, that has been on accutane, had scar tx for similiar skin texture after their tx of accutane. And , has it improved? Which tx would you recommend and are the results worth the money? Many say your scars will never go away... they can be improved, but never go away. Is it worth the tx? Just looking for some anwers. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
    member86
    (female)

member86 HB User
    Re: On Accutane, scar questions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EternalBliss17
    Hi Everyone,

I am on my 11th week of accutane (Day 81, to be exact). I have had ongoing acne since I was 17, but kept it under control with antibiotics. I went off the antibiotics in Sept. 03 and my face was clear. THEN, in April 04, my chin began to break out. THEN, in July, my face exploded. I went back on Antiobiotics for late Aug, Sept, and Oct and found out about Smoothbeam. So, I was on the Antibiotics, again (sigh) for 2 months. Took a month off and tried the smoothbeam. The smoothbeam didnt help. It made it worse (everyone is different). So, I leaped on to the Accutane journey in January. My point is I didnt realize how bad I was going to scar. Overall, my face was not broken out horrible for too long.

I am on accutane, and as my face is clearing, the textureis not smooth at all. I do not have deep scarring, but it is very uneven. I am not worried about the discoloration. My derm told me it would fade. He also said I would have minimal if any scarring. But, we won't know that until I am completely clear. I find it hard to believe because like I said the texture is indented. Has anyone, that has been on accutane, had scar tx for similiar skin texture after their tx of accutane. And , has it improved? Which tx would you recommend and are the results worth the money? Many say your scars will never go away... they can be improved, but never go away. Is it worth the tx? Just looking for some anwers. Thanks.
    Your story sounds very similar to mine. I have had acne since 17 and now I am 24 on accutane for the first time. I also tried smoothbeam back in January and it made me worse, hence me going on accutane.

I too have indents on my cheeks that makes my skin look uneven. After smoothbeam I acquired little nicks in my cheeks too that are shaped weird. I don't know if it was the smoothbeam or what. I also have like 2 pocs/pits(?), one on each cheekbone, rollers and some boxcars. Each scar isn't that bad at all, it's just that I have so many of them which makes my skin look like a rough terrain in certain lighting.

Right now, I am looking into scar treatments for when I finish accutane. I wnant to start now, but i was told to be patient. I am currently looking into using epidermx (it's a microdermabrasion cream) to even out the texture of my skin. I have heard mixed reviews about this product, but I ordered it anyway. What the heck. I have also been looking into TCA CROSS method which looks promising for my indents. There is a lot of information about it on another acne board that ends in "org". But it also looks kind of scary because if you don't know what your doing, you could further damage your skin!

Old 04-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Thanks for the info. I am 23 and our situations do sound very similiar. Hopefully, with patience, our scars will rejuvenate themselves.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hey guys I have good news for both of you!!! I saw my friend amy while I was getting me hair done the other day, she admitted she had been on acutanne 4 times! She has cherry blond hair and is as pale complected as anyone you will ever meet. I asked her the same question she said that when she completed her treatment she had a few red marks left, but not that many and she took care of those with microdermabrasin. She told me that 95% of her red marks left on their own. So that is good news to me and I hope it is to you as well, she has the most beautiful skin and doesn't wear any makeup at all, just a little mascara and some lip gloss.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Deltoro,

Did she have any indentations? If so, how long did it take for hers to leave? I am not concerned about the red marks bc everyone says that they will fade. Thanks for the info. It is very uplifting! Ah, I hate acne!

Old 04-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

How long does it take to not need to wear make-up after your tx of accutane?

Closed Thread