It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Is it fact or fiction,do you have better results with accutane as an adult?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Question Is it fact or fiction,do you have better results with accutane as an adult?

I was wondering if this is true..or how false it really might be. Someone posted this awhile back and I meant to ask them where this theory comes from and if it is statistically proven or not. The statement was that adults that take accutane have less of a chance of relapse and having to take another course if they have not previously taken a course of accutane as a teenager. Does anyone else remember reading this or have any information or an opinion/personal experience they would share on this topic? It really has me curious! Thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
    Ionah
    (female)

Ionah HB User
    Re: Is it fact or fiction,do you have better results with accutane as an adult?

I have heard that this is because you gradually "grow out" of acne as you age, so a younger person is more likely to have a greater number of years of acne "still in them" whereas an adult is probably nearing the end of their acne lifetime anyway.

So, in some cases, a teen actually might have a less likely chance of relapsing because most teenage acne does resolve itself naturally by the mid 20s. So, if you have a 17 year-old with acne who would have naturally stopped breaking out at 20, well, Accutane will probably "cure" their acne because by the time their sebaceous glands return to normal (let's say 3 years), they would no longer have been breaking out anyway.

Let's say you have an adult, on the other hand, who has persistent acne that she isn't going to "grow out" of until she's in her late 30s, maybe because of hormones. Accutane might put her in remission for a few years, and then make her acne less severe for another few, but if she's destined to break out until she's in her late 30s, then her acne will return when her sebaceous glands finally recover. In cases like this, Accutane might be worth it for a while, but one would be better off getting to the root cause of persistent acne, which for women is often hormones, and treat that, with an anti-androgen medication like Spironolactone for instance.

This is just my opinion; perhaps there are people who would have continued to break out who HAVE been "cured" by Accutane. But from what I know, Accutane's success rate depends largely on how long you would have naturally continued to have an acne problem.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: Is it fact or fiction,do you have better results with accutane as an adult?

Thanks for the post and the information!

Closed Thread