HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   Has anyone tried this with success? Spironolactone (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/276368-has-anyone-tried-success-spironolactone.html)

TKK3 04-20-2005 10:28 PM

Has anyone tried this with success? Spironolactone

I just read a thread about Spironolactone and was wondering if anyone has tried it. Apparently it is a diuretic (sp) and it blocks androgens that cause acne. It seems to have a lot of side effects but is effective and safe long term (if you can stand the side effects). I would so love to be able to just take a pill that would work instead of doing all the weird things we do....sometimes I feel like my derm expects me to stand on my head, jump on one foot three times at noon, eat elephant essence and sleep while hanging from a bar to deal with my acne! And the price of all those prescriptions that don't work sucks as well!!!

JanetinHouston 04-21-2005 05:18 AM

Re: Has anyone tried this with success? Spironolactone

Spiro does work. However, especially if you are female and the spiro does end up working, you do need to go to an endocrinologist.

I am assuming your derm didn't do any blood work on you. The zillion derms that I went to never bothered to test me either. Even though Spiro works, it goes back to the way you were when you stop taking it, and you can't be on that stuff for life.

You need to have tests run to see if its your pituitary or adrenal gland that is not functioning properly. Among several tests, the two I can remember he tested me on were DHEA Sulfate and Testosterone. Both were through the roof.

I was on a drug called Deltasone for about a 1 1/2 years and that was 15 years ago. It is nice to have people compliment you on your skin and not have to dread looking in the mirror each morning wondering just how many new pimples you are going to have!

Mic1980 04-21-2005 06:29 AM

I took Spiro and had the blood work and everything. But I had an allergic reaction about 2 weeks into it and had to stop it :(

wesodl 04-25-2005 07:58 AM

My derm prescribed spiro and did not do any blood work. Should I question her? As far as it working? I was on Yasmin for two months, my acne cleared slightly but I gained 10 lbs which is unacceptable to me. I just stopped taking yasmin and am on 50mg of sipro. So not sure if it's working yet. I have had slight headaches and a few palpitations.

Mic1980 04-25-2005 08:43 AM

Yes, you should be having your potassium levels checked while on spiro. On Yasmin, too. I am on Yasmin and had my potassium checked 3 times over the first few months to make sure I was handling it okay. I am surprised your derm wouldnt schedule any blood work. I would ask about it.

HarajukuGurl2005 10-22-2005 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Mic1980]I took Spiro and had the blood work and everything. But I had an allergic reaction about 2 weeks into it and had to stop it :([/QUOTE]

I been taking 100mgs for 2 weeks, and all of a sudden my neck started itching very badly. What side effects di du expereince?