It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• People That Have Acne & Others that have cured acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
    Influence
    (male)

Influence HB User
    People That Have Acne & Others that have cured acne

Doesn't it seem like this forum has more people WITH acne than WITHOUT acne..I wish Acne didn't exist at ALL.
    Sometimes I read threads of 18+ that have had acne since they have been 14...
    I'm 14 Myself & Reading threads like that make me feel like I should just give up on trying to cure my acne.
    I see so many threads of people COMPLAINING about acne instead of people WITHOUT acne telling others what they used to cure it..
    Cut out with all the b/s and just say what actually WORKED.
    not would COULD possibly work..but what WILL.
    I'm sorry if this seems like i'm angry...I'm really not..I'm just really depressed about acne...it runins tons of people's lifes socially.
    So what i'm trying to say..is that if you DO know something that DID
    work please...reply with just the names of what worked so others and myself could give it a shot..

I was thinking if I do fine the right cure i'd do my best to maintain my face clear & i'm sure others would also.
    I hate acne because i always get teased of having it..
    I'm currently in highschool & i hate viewing people face to face...
    I try certain things but then it just seems to make my face worse
    my older brother said a lot of the medicines DO make the face WORSE before it gets better because it brings up all the zits/acne up and then starts to kick in for the better.
    but i don't want that to happen because that process is TOO long.
    but it's better to get rid of acne now than keeping it for years.
    but i also don't want acne to come up and just stay on my face & not going away for the better.

so for the last time..can someone PLEASE provide tips on how to clear acne..if you DO have a clear face now

sorry for the long post...just had to get this off my mind.
    & to all those that DO have acne don't feel bad.
    you're not the only one with it.

Last edited by Influence; 04-28-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
    sydsmama
    (female)

sydsmama HB User
    Re: People That Have Acne & Others that have cured acne

Influence...

There are several threads on this board with many people that are willing to share their stories...all kinds of stories: successful, unsuccessful and all that falls in between.
    You might try reading past posts. Maybe use the search engine and inquire about your particular situation...age, skin type, meds used (both past and present) diet, etc.
    From where I sit...reading the past posts have been helpful.
    I understand and sympathize with your frustration...YOU are only 14 years old. I know that kids can be cruel and critical of others. There is nothing that justifies you being teased...I can't tell you that I know what it's like to have adolescent acne...mine decided to reveal itself in my late 20's.
    There are several methods and treatments that you can try. However, no one can really tell you what worked for them may work for you. We are all different. In a little over a week I can tell you that Doxycycline 100 mg 2x a day, Brevoxyl wash 4% 2x a day and Differin cream 1% at night has done wonders for my face in a short time. AGAIN...this has been (knock on wood) my experience. It might not work for you...your brother is right. Alot of meds (topical specifically) may give most an initial breakout. I know it sucks in the beginning...all the new pimples that weren't there before are now laughing at you in the mirror! But he is right...what is happening is the most of the topicals (prescription) are slowly striping your skin...looking for new skin and promoting cell renewal. Unfortunately, in the process of cleaning out your pores, pimples that have been lying in waiting for a trigger (whether that be stress induced, diet, weather, hormones, etc.) to come out.
    If you try a med prescribed by your Derm...give it at least one month. You won't be sorry. If you stop in mid-treatment you will be sorry in the long run. If you stop you will be left with a bigger mess than you started with.
    Most importantly...see a Derm. Only he/she can tell you a true recommendation...It is their business. They are professionals who get paid a nice, fat salary for a reason.
    We are all here for the same reason, sweetheart. We are all looking for support and encouragement from other's who have suffered along with us.
    Best advice to you is to be patient. I hope that you can find solice in the fact that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer

Old 04-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
    charmon
    (female)

charmon HB User

School is about out and this would be a good time to see the derm and start something so that you have all summer to get it cleared up. If you can't see one try ProActiv? My daughter is also 14. We have tried all the OTC stuff with no luck but ProActiv is working for her. It didn't work for me because it made my skin way to dry, so I am taking accutane and I am happy to report that after almost 3 months I am clearing up.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I would urge you to use Proactive also. My nephew (age 14) had acne pretty bad. My sister bought that for him, and it has done wonders for his face. I had it when I was a teenager and was very self conscious about it, and went to a derm about it. He gave me antiobotics and a cream to use on my face that helped. I don't remember what it was. After I got on birth control pills, I didn't have any problems with it at all. Mine evidently was hormone related.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
    Influence
    (male)

Influence HB User

I've tried proactiv it doesn't really work if you have bad acne. Only minor acne.
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm still searching on what cream I should use that WILL possibly work. But If I cannot find one I will vist my derm.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
    wizzii

wizzii HB User

Hi
    About a year ago I would be on this board almost everyday lookin for ideas to get rid of acne and truthfully this board didn't help one bit (i think), I fully dont get pimples as bad n e more.....it just stopped....and i didnt do much....I just stayed away from junk food (easy for me not to eat junk) and cleansed my face with natural products or just a plain face wash, not an acne wash...but I have a feeling my diet didnt have much to do with it...I didnt use n e acne products, pills or n e thing.....It just went...guess as i got older it faded...most of the time my face is clear and every now n then I'll get a pimple...but yeah...its so much better...maybe u just have to live with it and sooner or later it will fade...ask ur parents wen their acne faded....maybe thats how long u'll have to wait...must sound really bad aye? Mine only lasted for about a year and then it started to fade...so yeah....tata

Old 04-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
    finallyfreealmost!
    (female)

finallyfreealmost! HB User

Firstly, other than "growing out" of acne or taking accutane, I don't really think there is a cure for acne, accutane comes close but women especially often relapse after pregnancy etc...
    My face is clear of acne, not cured, but controlled. To look at me though, you wouldnt know that i am an acne sufferer, even though I am.

Basically for me the key is,

AM:
    mild wash in the morning nothing aggressive
    an AHA product, mild again, mix with moisturiser if you want to.
    sunscreen
    mineral make up, not heavy stuff.

PM:
    mild wash
    a retinoid like retin a or differin
    moisturiser.

initially you will peel, and in fact may break out more, to minmise the initial breakout, get antibiotics from derm, and take a zinc tablet daily, you can slowly stop using these later.
    I have used this method for years, sometimes trying other stuff with ill effects and always go back to this. Personally, I use Obagi, because I have mask of pregnancy issues and used to pick at my skin a lot.. but if your pigmentation is pretty even, you don't need the hydroquinone so can use any other products available that fit above description.

DON'T TOUCH BP whatever you do. Despite years of controlling my acne, I never had a single enlarged pore or indented scar or pit on my face till I tried BP on two spots a couple of months ago. It worked like a dream to get rid of the spots, BUT left 2 small but noticeable holes on my face where the spots had been. I am now convinced that everyone with pits and indents must have used BP!

Old 04-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
    Michelle2175
    (female)

Michelle2175 HB User

Accutane, Healthy Eating and 1 litre of water a day.

Closed Thread