It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Poor little Dove Soap...why does everone hate me?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2003, 06:56 AM   #1
DeeDeeWith3
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Unhappy Poor little Dove Soap...why does everone hate me?

My derm says cleanse with Cetaphil or Dove soap. I really think the Cetaphil for oily skin is irritating me, the mild cetaphil does not remove my makeup so I'm looking at this poor bar of Dove soap. I know many feel it has tallow in it and it is pore clogging along with it's emollients.......then why would a doctor who went to school recommend this? My neighbor(one of the clear skin folks) swears by it. Retin A micro is really drying me out-I'm getting that sandpaper feel.....can this little Dove bar really hurt the situation? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Babies use it, why can't old me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
franann
(female)

franann HB User
I have been using dove soap for years. The only time I sometimes use cetifil is when my skin is very irratated, and then I will use it only in the morning because it doesn't remove makeup well. A few other times I tried more expensive skin programs and cleaners which may have worked just as well, but I always go back to dove.

Old 02-18-2003, 09:23 AM   #3
DeeDeeWith3
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif Yeah! One vote for Dove. Thanks, Franann. Anyone else not afraid of this little white bar?

Old 02-18-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
Girlie19
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
Thumbs down

it's really drying!

Old 02-18-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
SobeStar

SobeStar HB User
I haven't used it myself, but one of my best friends in high school had the most amazingly clear, smooth skin and her entire face routine consisted of washing with Dove Soap.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
amb1
(female)

amb1 HB User
My derm called Dove "nails on a chalkboard"-- he would never recommend it to anyone with acne prone skin. I would have to agree, after having used it early on in the acne fight! It was terrible. I am sure for people without problem skin it is just fine, but for me, no way!

amb

Old 02-18-2003, 01:44 PM   #7
DeeDeeWith3
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Unhappy

...aha!...I knew there were folks who thought that. I guess your derm and mine went to different schools! Hence, you understand my fear of using it! So amb1....what does this doctor want you to use? Poor little Dove soap.....anyone else fear this beauty bar?

Old 02-18-2003, 02:24 PM   #8
LookingForHealth
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
Amb, why did he say that? Do you mean it most likely will cause acne prone skin to become more clogged?

Remember not everyone on this board has sensitive skin.

I don't care if something makes my skin feel tight, I'd rather have that than zits.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #9
openseason
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
I read a study that compared all soaps regarless of price. Dove came out top rated. They consumer study did recommend sitting the Dove out on a counter for a week to let the smell leave it before using it.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:34 PM   #10
Sparkle0036

Sparkle0036 HB User
i used to use the liquid dove for sensitive skin...i don't think it did any harm.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:52 AM   #11
DeeDeeWith3
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Smile

Openseason:

Supposedly, Dove for sensitive is fragrance free...that is the difference..I think it has a smell(nice nonetheless), so therefore I don't feel the need to leave it out for days.

Sparkle0036.......I've looked for the liquid version. It was available here a while ago, then I only saw the shower formulation of it. I may have to ask the Dove people(Lever). They answered my questions, confirmed that it did not clog pores(yeah, ok, so does everything else supposedly), and sent me some coupons.

I'm still awaiting someone to tell me how awful this little bar is. I say hello to it every morning in the box, but have yet to use it. I remember a long time ago when there was only Dove soap and Oil of Olay for ladies and gosh, they looked good! Any additional thoughts?

Old 02-19-2003, 08:16 AM   #12
MistyDawn

MistyDawn HB User
i believe everyone's skin reacts different to products. one person's 'cure' may be another's nightmare. so, my advice is to try the dove soap. if you see an improvement or notice no additional problems, i think it would be fine to continue using it.

if you are having problems washing off your make up, try this. take a lukewarm, SOFT wet washcloth and gently wipe your face off with it. then, proceed to use your cleanser. this should assist in removing long lasting foundations.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:00 AM   #13
mariee

mariee HB User
according to paula begoun, any bar soap has an ingredient that can clog pores. personally, i think bar soaps are too drying. don't put all your faith in doctors, they just give you samples of what the drug reps and various companies have left for them.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:56 AM   #14
daddysgurl19

daddysgurl19 HB User
i use dial anti-bacterial the gold bar soap and it does wonders for my skin. i don't know if it clogs pores. my derm wanted me to use ivory or the transparent neutrogena acne prone skin bar soap but everybody said ivory would clog my pores so i didn't. they said it left a film or something. so i tried the neutrogena and it made my acne so much worse. omg! so i switched back to dial and it cleared my skin up instantly. i am allergic to dove so i couldn't tell ya.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #15
DeeDeeWith3
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Yes, mariee, I would have to agree that these doctors give out the samples they have been given, and I am aware of all of Ms. Begoun's warnings regarding bar soap. For daddysgurl19, Only recently have I heard of some of you using Dial gold bar.....this is a new one for me. Who recommended this? The only other bar soap I heard recommendations for was the Lever 2000 bar. And MistyDawn, the softwashcloth is a fine idea, as long as I could remember to wash it out or replace it daily, like the darn pillowcases! Thanks to you all!

Reply Reply