It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 2+ months and Retin-A Micro has done little to nothing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
    xghostsniperx
    (male)

xghostsniperx HB User
    2+ months and Retin-A Micro has done little to nothing

I have moderate acne on my forehead, moderate acne on both my cheeks, severe around my mouth, and mild around my chin. I also have very, very bad body acne. I have very, very bad red marks also. It's not cystic, mostly just whiteheads and red bumps that come to a head but never have any color but red to them.

I'm on Retin A Micro .04% along with two pills of Zithromax a week. It has done little to nothing. While it has prevented acne to an extent, it has done little to nothing to actually take away the current acne. I've tried tons of stuff--Differin, Tazorac, and now this is my THIRD time trying Retin-A Micro. I wash my face with a Neutrogena wash twice a day--I pretty much do everything right.

My mom says she will expend every possible option until we are out before I start accutane, and it pisses me off because I'll most likely have no acne by then. I'm really missing out on some social activities and stuff with friends and I have absolutely no confidence when it comes to girls--and to top it all off my school is shockingly one of those "acne free school" where you can't be comforted by looking at people with worse acne.

I'm really having a hard time with this, and I'm 16 with a very short high school life ahead of me. I want to get this over with. Have any of you gone through Retin-A and had it take more than two months to have it work? Or should I just give up and see if soap+water is better for me and see what else my derm has to sell me that won't work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User
    Re: 2+ months and Retin-A Micro has done little to nothing

i understand your frustration. it is fortunate tho that your are still young. i am 24 and been going through this long already. and also its good to be working with a derm. and also have a mom who suports you, when i was your age and i asked my mom what to do she was like oh it will go away. she never addressed it. so i was pretty much stuck. please don't lose hope, and when you feel down about it this is a good place to come and talk. it helps me just to know i am not alone. sorry i can't give you any good advice but i hope things work out for you soon and don't forget the most important thing is who you are inside, not how you look, i hope you can build some confidence, i bet there are plenty of girls who are attracted to your personality take care

Old 05-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

If you have stubborn acne, Accutane is pretty much the only way to go. My story sounds a lot like yours - in highschool, my skin was pretty bad, and my mom wanted me to "try everything" before going on Accutane. Well, I did try just about everything and looking back, it was all a waste of time and A TON of money. Even my mom agrees. After seeing how well Accutane cleared me up, my mom even said she felt bad that she didnt allow me to get on it sooner. However, going on Accutane is by no means a quick or easy fix - it takes a bit of time with varying side effects. But in the end - well worth it! Also, some people on the board are probably going to slap me on the hand for this one but have you tried getting a bit of sun? Before I started getting microdermabrasion treatments for scars, I would go "tan" a bit (NOT overdoing it) whenever I felt a flare up.. its a good temporary fix, but something you shouldnt overdo or depend on. If its a nice day, try sitting outside for 30 minutes. Not only that, but sun rays will boost your mood

Old 05-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
    latayy

latayy HB User

It sounds like your worst acne occurs around your mouth/chin. That's where mine was and my dermatologist put me on periostat. It's an antibiotic that is normally prescribed for a gum infection (mouth) but also helps clear up acne around the mouth and chin. I'm not on a high dose but I think it helps keep it under control.

Closed Thread