It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Glycolic acid peels fade red marks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User
    Thumbs up Glycolic acid peels fade red marks

I was at the dermatologists office today and asked him about glycolic acid peels to fade red marks. He said that a low strength peel would definetly be beneficial, but a high strength peel would probably do more damage than good. He referred me to another dermatologist to do a peel. However, we all probably know of the long wait times for dermatologist appointments. So I am considering going to one of those commericial facial cosmetic places instead. Does anyone know if the peels at the dermatologist are the same as the peels at these commericial facial cosmetic places? Anyone ever get these peels done either by derm or a commercially?

Last edited by Andrew29; 05-16-2005 at 11:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
    spotty99
    (female)

spotty99 HB User
    Re: Glycolic acid peels fade red marks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew29
    I was at the dermatologists office today and asked him about glycolic acid peels to fade red marks. He said that a low strength peel would definetly be beneficial, but a high strength peel would probably do more damage than good. He referred me to another dermatologist to do a peel. However, we all probably know of the long wait times for dermatologist appointments. So I am considering going to one of those commericial facial cosmetic places instead. Does anyone know if the peels at the dermatologist are the same as the peels at these commericial facial cosmetic places? Anyone ever get these peels done either by derm or a commercially?
    I have been getting gycolic peels every 2 weeks (20%) done by an aeth for the past 5 months and yes, it does help fade the red marks faster besides making your skin texture smoother and healthier looking.

IMO, the main diff between those peels done by derm and commercially prepared one is derm performs higher strength peels and commercially prepared ones has lower strength. Both yield the same results - just that commercially prepared ones shows results much slower. Mind you, you can still get higher strength peels via internet and lots of people administer the peel themselves. I personally won't do it 'cos like your derm says, higher strength peels has higher chance of damage especially if you are new to AHA.

I got 20% gycolic peels done by an aeth. But I got a prescription from derm for a AHA Home Mask which is 15% by Neo Strata which I can do every week.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
    nm80

nm80 HB User

what exactly are "peels"..how are they done, is it a cream or something or what..

Old 05-19-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

spotty -

How does your skin react to the peels? Does your skin actually peel off and look dry for a couple days before it reveals smooth skin underneath? Do you have to be clear of all acne before you get a peel done or are they good at clearing active acne and red marks?

I was interested in getting a peel, but have heard that they are very expensive. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay/week to get peels done by an aeth?

Sorry about all the questions, I am just curious! Thanks!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
    pink-pajamas
    (female)

pink-pajamas HB User

All peels are different. The medical grade peel that I perform on clients is an alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxy peel by Dr. Gross, the line is MD Skincare. It's a clear solution that we apply using a cotton wand which looks like a giant q-tip. It's a little painful, burns and itches for about two minutes. The skin feels tight and dry for about two days following the peel and then lightly flakes off for the next couple of days. There is no down time, you just have to wear extra moistuizer while you heal. The results are wonderful!

Old 05-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
    Ngfan4lyfe
    (male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

I do TCA peels, and it's best not to use moisturizer, because it makes the results turn out not as good as they would have if you just let the skin do it's normal process of shedding the older skin cells.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
    spotty99
    (female)

spotty99 HB User
    Smile Re: Glycolic acid peels fade red marks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LauraOSU05
    spotty -

How does your skin react to the peels? Does your skin actually peel off and look dry for a couple days before it reveals smooth skin underneath? Do you have to be clear of all acne before you get a peel done or are they good at clearing active acne and red marks?

I was interested in getting a peel, but have heard that they are very expensive. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay/week to get peels done by an aeth?

Sorry about all the questions, I am just curious! Thanks!
    Hi Laura,

I was having the worst acne breakout ever when I had the peels. For me, the peels actually helped eliminated the existing acne that I had at that time. After 5 months, the peels are basically helping me control my acne pretty good and it is now helping me more with my red marks and scars more than anything else.

Because I have been getting 20% gycolic peels, my skin does not actually peel off. I think you only get this with the higher strength peels - I can't say 'cos 20% is the highest I have gone. What did happen is that the area where I had acne, it would scab (after the aeth does extraction) and I had a few areas that I DIDN"T have acne where I had some scabs as well. It was pretty scary at first but after 4 days, the scab felt off leaving a brown mark. Also, for the first 4 days, the skin texture would feel a little rough - at least for me it did. My aeth said that it was basically the dead cells coming up. Not everyone experience this though - my sis didn't. By the 5th day, wow - your skin will feel really smooth and looks nice too even with all the red marks. Also, don't touch the scab - leave them alone. If you try to remove them, it will scar - I learnt this the hard way!

Peels, for me, were great at reducing red marks for sure. My acne only stopped in Feb 05. And in 3 months time, my red marks lighten up so much. My sis and mum were the one who gave this feedback to me 'cos when you look at your face everyday, you really can't see the improvement.

I am now combining micro derm with peels and am really looking foward to seeing my acne scars lighten up even more. I have indented scars.

I live in Asia and peels are expensive here too but I manage to find an aeth that charges really good. She charged me a total of US120.00 for 8 peels. She uses Neo-Strata's Exuviance products which are from US. Lucky for us here, labour is still cheap in Asia. So, I probably won't be the right person to find out about cost.

There are peels available via net which are reasonable but I would really recommend that you get professional peels done if it's a first for you. Maybe when you are more confident, you can do it yourself. I got Neo Strata 15% gycolic peel which I can do at home every week and that saves me from having to go to the aeth.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ngfan4lyfe
    I do TCA peels, and it's best not to use moisturizer, because it makes the results turn out not as good as they would have if you just let the skin do it's normal process of shedding the older skin cells.
    I use an 8% Glycolic Solution on a daily basis. I also use a moisturizer daily as well. Does that mean that the results of the glycolic acid won't be as effective because I am using a moisturizer?

Closed Thread