It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Help terrible breakout on Ortho tri-cyclen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
    aversar03
    (female)

aversar03 HB User
    Help terrible breakout on Ortho tri-cyclen

Hey I have posted on here a few times, I have been on ortho tri-cyclen for a month and a half and my skin is breaking out so bad and so much more oily. I am so mad that I went on the pill because my skin was fine before hand. Why would this be happeing when it is supposed to improve acne???? I am tempted to quit in the middle of the month. What should I do?????? thanks Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User
    Re: Help terrible breakout on Ortho tri-cyclen

aversar~ hey, I was on Ortho tricyclen Lo for about 10 days and my skin looked like complete crap..Thats why I got off it right away The pill is messing with your hormones so acne is sure to pop up, but some say they got worse before they got better. I could understand if you had bad acne in the first place, then I'd say just stay on it to see if it will clear you. But like you, I didnt have bad acne to begin with either so thats why I got off of it.

It's your choice to keep with it or to get off it, you just have to decide if its worth it or not....

Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
    aversar03
    (female)

aversar03 HB User

Thanks for the feedback...when you stopped taking your pills did your breakouts subside??? I hope it goes away when I stop taking them!!! Thanks

Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

One of my friends has been on ortho tri cyclen for years and it hasn't helped her acne at all. But her's may be bacterial instead of hormonal. I would try Yasmin if I were you.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

hey aversar03, when I got off of the pill, it took a couple days for my skin to go back to the way it was. I still get pimples but im too afraid to go onto another pill. I wanted to try Yasmin so I looked up the reviews and alot of women stated that it made them worse before they got better (they did say it cleared their skin so well though)..I just dont want to risk the initial breakout. I cant handle the worse before better part. It scares me

Old 06-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
    aversar03
    (female)

aversar03 HB User

I have also been on Yasmin for about five months the first 2 months my skin was perfect....then it took a turn for the worse and I was completely broken out in cystic acne!!!!! Never happened to me before and I also had major anxiety and depression from Yasmin maybe birth control just isnt for me!!! I think alot of people like Yasmin though it didn't work for me though. I went off Yasmin after about 5 months when I finally realized it was the pill that was doing this to me!! After that my breakouts went away...now on ortho and there back arghhh!!!! Should have never gone back on. I never experienced an initial breakout on Yasmin for me it got better before it got worse. When you stopped ortho low did you finish your pack or stop in middle of month? is that bad?

Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

I stopped in the middle of the pack...Its not bad, you just might experience some breakthrough bleeding. I talked to my GYN before I got off of it and she didnt say it was bad to get off it before finishing a pack. I told her I would call her when I decided which Birth control pill I wanted to go on...but I never called..lol

I dont want to go on another one...im tooooo scared

Old 06-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

You need to wait at least 3 months before stopping. It takes about that long for your hormones to normalize. It's impossible to expect such fast results from birth control pills. I'd stick it out for another couple months before giving up.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    You need to wait at least 3 months before stopping. It takes about that long for your hormones to normalize. It's impossible to expect such fast results from birth control pills. I'd stick it out for another couple months before giving up.

Hey peachy~ you really dont need to wait 3 months before stopping. Talk to your doctor about it aversar03 and get a professional opinion.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey sarah, i'm on yasmin now, but was on ortho novum 7-7-7 for about six years before that and had a great result with it. i'm actually having a good result with the yasmin too, but i suspect that the only reason my gyno prescribed it is b/c it's new. i tried the ortho evra patch before it and talk about bad! terrible reaction, i'd stay away. but ask yer gyn about the ortho novum 7-7-7, it's really good.

also, i've heard people say really good things about the diane 35 pill. it may only be in the uk, but there should be some equivalent in the u.s. good luck! ali

ps- if you have good skin w/out the pill and are only taking it for the control of the birth, i'd recommend taking a look at the barrier methods. there's one called VCF that's very good, and effective too, esp if you use another method as well, like a diaphram.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xismybaby
    Hey peachy~ you really dont need to wait 3 months before stopping. Talk to your doctor about it aversar03 and get a professional opinion.
    well, yes, obviously you CAN stop if you choose to, but if you're really serious about helping your acne, you'd wait 3 months before stopping (otherwise it would be pointless to even try bc pills to help acne in the first place). Your acne is going to get worse before it gets better-- this is pretty much inevitable. Just give it some time-- you're never going to get an overnight fix with hormone therapy.

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 06-14-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
    portrgirl
    (female)

portrgirl HB User

I was on Ortho tricyclin for about a year and half to two years. For the last half of that time I had bad mood swings and worse acne from it (I was also on amoxicillin for acne and even that didn't help it - which now that I think about it, could be because my body had become immune to it...). I talked to my doctor and she suggested I try Desogen because it was cheaper (I was going to my university's campus health center) from their pharmacy than Yasmin, but was similar.

I love it. I have no complaints. Like with most medications, your skin can get worse before it gets better. Like others have said, give it 2-3 months before you say it isn't working. Your body needs time to adjust.

Birth control pills are funny because they are different with each body. Just because Ortho has the stamp of approval w/ helping acne doesn't mean that it will for everyone. It could do the opposite like it did for me. (I think the monophasic pills work better with my body than triphasic...) However, Yasmin may not do it for you either. You're on the right track w/ researching different choices, but really the only way to know if it'll be the pill for you is by trial and error. Unfortunetly. Good luck!

Last edited by portrgirl; 06-14-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #13
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

My daughter took ortho-tri-cyclen specifically for her acne when antibiotics stopped working. It made her break out quite badly and gain 7 lbs. She quit the pill going into her 5th month. I think she gave it a good try. My poor baby. Anyway, when she gets married I hope she finds one that works well or she'll have to use a barrier method.

Closed Thread