It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• PAINFUL Cysts!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 AM   #1
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User
    Unhappy PAINFUL Cysts!!!

Hello, I have been getting tons of painful cysts all over my face for a couple months now (concentrated on the chin and forehead.) I am talking 3 or 4 new ones per day and currently there are 19. They are slightly red, and about the size of a pencil eraser. That I could even live with, but they hurt so bad it drives me crazy, if i accidentally touch one it's almost excrutiatingly painful. I have been to the derm. once and family doctor i would say close to 15 times. No one will give me accutane. I have another derm. appointment next month, and i am going to try again. My questions are, IS THERE ANY OTHER TREATMENT FOR CYSTS BESIDES ACCUTANE? and even temporarily till I get to the derm. in a month? I cannot get cortisone shots, it's too expensive for me and I have too many of these cysts....also, WHAT CAN I SAY TO THE DERM. TO POSSIBLY GET HIM TO GIVE ME ACCUTANE?? In the past I didn't have cysts but used everything besides accutane for acne. Thanks for your time, I am sorry for complaining- I just can't stand this pain!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User
    Re: PAINFUL Cysts!!!

anything at all???

Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
    tscorpio24
    (female)

tscorpio24 HB User

Have you told the derm exactly how the acne is affecting you?? I'm surprised you haven't been put on Accutane yet. What are the reasons the derm told you as to why you can't go on Accutane. How old are you?

Old 06-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

There was a thread written recently about the benefits of baking soda, and it was a good one. You should read it

Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
    jasmine1976

jasmine1976 HB User

I read a thread on another board talking about the medicated soap that they give you after a piercing to keep it from getting infected. I have been washing with it and also putting a layer of it on my face at nights before going to bed. It stinks a little but it seems to be taking my problem away. The first couple of days it was fine, then it would burn for a little while and then it was fine. I would just have to wash it off if it started burning and put something else on to sleep in. It is really cheap and in my opinion, much better that sa or bp or anything like that. It's called Provon. It's worth a try.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User

hello, thankyou for the replys i have used the baking soda cleasning methood, but only for a week now, so ofcourse hadn't noticed anything, but i do keep getting more cysts on a daily basis, i think that maybe a topical may not be able to fix this as i have used many prescription topicals and they just made my top layer of skin super dry and i still got the cysts i am trying to get into the derm. sooner with no luck at all. and been trying to get my fam. Dr. to give me accutane but they won't do it.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
    holst
    (female)

holst HB User

Are you female? You could try birth control pills such as Yasmine or Spiroaldacone. You might also ask your doc for an oral antibiotic. If you take it, get some probiotic supplements to counteract the antibiotic destroying the good bacteria you need.

Also in the form of supplements, try organic wheatgrass, MSM and cod liver oil (vitamin A). These are all good for the skin and imbalances of the skin resulting in cystic acne.

I know how hard it is to have cystic acne. To me it was so psychologically damaging. I ended up with a face full of scars that I've been trying to eradicate for the last 15 years.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
    scouselad1974
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

scouselad1974 HB User

Hi,
    Unfortunatley i haven't got a cure for you but i just wanted to reply to your post as you must be suffering terribly, as at the moment i just have a couple of painfull spot's and i couldn't imagine having 19 painfull cysts.
    I'm not qualified to offer you any real advice but when i get painfull spots i take ibuprofen which ease the pain and do eventually reduce inflamation, you say that you can't affor hydrocortisone shots so would it be worth applying hydrocortisone cream to see if that reduces the swelling overnight?
    My currentroutine for reducing nasty swellings is as follows
    Apply a cotton wool ball soaked in an alcohol based lotion containing witch hazel and tea tree oil to the area for as long as possible.
    Follow up with BP 10%
    Apply hydrocortisone cream
    Take 2 ibuprofen
    I hope this helps you

Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User

thank you again for repying i have good news. i got my derm. appointment moved a whole month eariler! which is monday i am going to ask for accutane. this is because i have tried everything- I used 4 different antibiotics -which i think is why it's so bad now, so many cysts, using antibiotics helped for a little while but when i started using them my skin was no where near this bad- eventually the acne kept getting worse when the antibiotic wasn't strong enough anymore (when i started having acne over 10 years ago, it was mild). i have used 3 different birth controls through the years, and every topical known to man, not to mention all the OTC products i wasted tons of money on. I also tried proactive with no luck. I will try the supplements, and ibuprofen, and stay with the baking soda wash. everyone has been very helpful. hopefully my frustration will come to an end and they will finally put me on accutane, and i am aware of the side effects but i am definately ready to go that route now. i will let you know how it goes at the derm. on Monday, thanks again

Old 06-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
    holst
    (female)

holst HB User

Hey Realsad,
    Glad you are getting your appt. sooner. Just wanted to say, if you do get to go on Accutane, don't take any additional Vitamin A supplements, like the cod liver oil, as both of those together would be way too toxic. Anyway, good luck!

Old 06-19-2005, 02:41 AM   #11
    markymark03
    (male)

markymark03 HB User

i had severe ACNE all over my face and neck for many years TILL I STOPPED EATING RED MEATS.NOW I ONLY EAT CHKN,TURK.I MUST SAY MY IMPROVEMENT WAS RATHER RAPID COMPARED TO MDICATIONS.WITHIN 4-5DAYS MY ACNE FLARE UPS STOPPED.I`VE RECCOMENDED THIS TO VARIOUS PEOPLE WITH SEVERE ACNE AND THEY HAV ALL SHARED THE SAME RESULTS.HOPE U GIVE IT A GO,ITS A SURE WINNER????????????

Old 06-19-2005, 02:43 AM   #12
    markymark03
    (male)

markymark03 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markymark03
    i had severe ACNE all over my face and neck for many years TILL I STOPPED EATING RED MEATS.NOW I ONLY EAT CHKN,TURK.I MUST SAY MY IMPROVEMENT WAS RATHER RAPID COMPARED TO MDICATIONS.WITHIN 4-5DAYS MY ACNE FLARE UPS STOPPED.I`VE RECCOMENDED THIS TO VARIOUS PEOPLE WITH SEVERE ACNE AND THEY HAV ALL SHARED THE SAME RESULTS.HOPE U GIVE IT A GO,ITS A SURE WINNER????????????

Old 06-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #13
    hmahappy
    (female)

hmahappy HB User

Man, i know how u feel, i've had painful cysts on and off forever. They stopped for a while on Antibiotics, then came back. Then i took Accutane twice! Both times i stayed like 6-9 months freee- then the same story again. Now i'm trying just natural stuff, the lemon juice thing is very good, (a cup of real lemon juice diluted with water in the morn and at night, i think there's a thread about it somewhere here) and baking soda i just started a few days ago, followed by a moisturizer- anyway we'll see how that goes! They are less in size and a few have actually disappeared! Good luck.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:38 AM   #14
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User

hey thanks for the info. so do you think that most people who had alot of cysts before accutane might have a harder time staying clear afterwards? it's just the worst they are so painful!! i was drinking water with a lemon slice but i guess getting the juce makes more sense anyway. and is probably less exspensive. i will post tomorrow about how it goes at the derm.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
    hmahappy
    (female)

hmahappy HB User

I know, lemons are expensive, like totally. Anyway, i think i read somewhere, that some people have an increased sensitivity to circulating androgens, and that's like just something we have to deal with- i don't think accutane or any of the derm stuff really does stop that, they just clear up symptoms for awhile. And then when you stop- it all comes back. Its depressing, but i don't know if especially cystic people have less response to accutane than others? Maybe. That would explain why mine came back! Well, i'm down to 6 cysts, smaller in size but still painful! we'll see how the baking soda goes by the end of the week. I refuse to put anything else on cuz i want to see if this will work.

Closed Thread