It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• ACNE: The New Theory

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #31
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User
    Re: ACNE: The New Theory

Hi KKbp.
    Thanks for all of the interesting info. I'll be interested to know how the cimetidine works for you, but keep in mind that the abstracts that I found claim that the action of the cimetidine is as an antiandrogen unrelated to histamine. So this might help, as any antiandrogen would, but if you truly feel that the cause of your acne is histamine this would be more of an indirect fix than one that gets to the root of the cause. If you don't care and just want to clear your acne that's fine. Personally, I'm trying to find a way to permanently fix my acne or at least fix it through natural supplements. I currently take spironolactone (antiandrogen) which works fabulously, but I don't want to have to take it forever.
    Please keep updating any new info or progress on this because I'm definately intrigued. May try to do some more research of my own and will update with anything interesting that I find.
    ~Erica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #32
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

I've been looking into methionine and found that SAM-e is supposed to do the same thing but much faster. It's also much more expensive, but thought KKbp and anyone else following this post might be interested. I might try it.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #33
    Freerider

Freerider HB User

Definitely an interesting theory with some supporting evidence, and neatly combining many of the theories floating around. Explains why detoxing, and fasting which is essentially detoxing, can clear acne, but usually only for a short time.

So, you believe there to be a toxin "threshold", above which acne will result? And that acne-sufferers are above this threshold during times of break-outs? Do other forms of toxins, other than those produced by the speedy metabolism, have any affect on this? Such as toxins from pollution, skin and hair products, pesticides in our food, etc.

Also, you said "The key part is that we burn our foods rapidly, and thus more toxins are produced in our mitochondria, and over a long term period acne results." By "over a long term period" you mean what? Myself and many others believe (through much trial and error) that our acne forms 2-4 days after eating the food that spikes our blood glucose level. How does this fit into the theory.
    Thanks.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #34
    soupyhead
    (male)

soupyhead HB User

whenever i have to sneeze i always look at a light because it helps the sneeze come out... lol i thought that was normal??
    anyways... i have mild acne.. 23 years old.. 150 pounds pretty skinny, fast metabolism and i have some allergies.. i dont know to what.. and lots of headaches.. i guess i could have this 'thing' but i havent really read up enough on it to know what is..

Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #35
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freerider
    Definitely an interesting theory with some supporting evidence, and neatly combining many of the theories floating around. Explains why detoxing, and fasting which is essentially detoxing, can clear acne, but usually only for a short time.

So, you believe there to be a toxin "threshold", above which acne will result? And that acne-sufferers are above this threshold during times of break-outs? Do other forms of toxins, other than those produced by the speedy metabolism, have any affect on this? Such as toxins from pollution, skin and hair products, pesticides in our food, etc.

Also, you said "The key part is that we burn our foods rapidly, and thus more toxins are produced in our mitochondria, and over a long term period acne results." By "over a long term period" you mean what? Myself and many others believe (through much trial and error) that our acne forms 2-4 days after eating the food that spikes our blood glucose level. How does this fit into the theory.
    Thanks.

Delayed-Type Hypersensitivity...results in a allergic or sensitivity response within 24 - 72 hours. Acne is thought to be apart of this according to this article

Quote:
    Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2004 Apr-Jun;108(2):319-24. Related Articles, Links

[Immunohistochemical evidence of chronic inflammation in acne vulgaris]

[Article in Romanian]

Branisteanu D, Cianga C, Cianga P, Petrescu Z, Carasevici E.

Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Gr.T. Popa Iasi, Facultatea de Medicina, Clinica Dermatologica.

The etiology and pathogenesis of acne vulgaris are not yet completely understood. Therefore we have investigated 5 patients with different clinical forms of disease, including the rare form of acne fulminans. Taking into consideration the four factors that are currently incriminated in the development of acne, sebaceous hypersecretion, hyperkeratosis of the pilosebaceous infundibulum, bacterial colonisation and perifollicular inflammation, we have focused our study on a set of cells involved in the chronic inflammatory process. We have evidenced by immunohistochemistry methods, using appropriate monoclonal antibodies, the presence of T lymphocytes and macrophages, while the B cells could be evidenced only in the severe forms. We were also interested to investigate the occurrence of new capillary formation, as an accompanying phenomenon of the inflammatory process. The presence and histological distribution of these cells highly supports the hypothesis that the mechanisms underlying the development of acne vulgaris belong to the Delayed Type Hypersensitivity. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15688807&query_hl=2
    and if so....that totally blows the whole "it takes 6 weeks, 8 weeks or 3 months for acne to form" although...perhaps the BIGGER the cyst or nodule, the longer it does take. Cystic / Nodular acne for me takes 5 - 7 days, the smaller stuff appears within 2 - 3. So perhaps they are talking about Acne Fulminans or Congloblata =(

Furthermore if we consider that 90% of acne sufferers aren't hyperandrogenic, like myself, but merely have some sort of androgen receptor defect that makes them sensitive or should I say, Hypersensitive, to regular amounts of androgen hormones....no wonder they're experiencing an inflammatory response. Thats what happens when one is sensitive, allergic, or intolerant to something...the body overreacts and launches an immune response against the allergen or irritant and inflammation is apart this process.

Thus, when I hear "Over a long period of time" in regards to dealing with Hypersensitivities or Intolerances, this means that these allergens or irritants are working their damage over years (chronic silent inflammation) and then one day our body (skin, organs, etc) finally has enough and that's when the acne, fatigue, or health problems surface.

Furthermore, I've found quite a few articles regarding histadelia and well....histamine is one of several inflammatory products that is found to be increased in acne patients or in acne lesions, but what's interesting is that most of the foods that are listed (more than what was mentioned in this thread) STILL fall into the Top Food Allergen or Intolerant list....hmm.

My oh my do I have more stuff say about this thread, but I just haven't had the energy to put all together. However those curious may want to investigate "A New Dawn" (more for women) and the "Insulin Time-Bomb" by Ian Stokes...quite controversial but based on my own experiences with food elimination and improvement of quite a few of my symptoms, I absolutely believe that inflammation (there are plenty of inflammatory products associated w/ acne that are also assoc. with other "preventable" diseases), is at play here....after all why is acne called an Inflammatory Skin Disease if it wasn't?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-12-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #36
    Freerider

Freerider HB User

Sweetjade, thanks for your comments and the info on delayed type hypersensitivity. I'm going to look into that book you mentioned (even though I am not a female). There are thousands of pieces to this acne puzzle. I think we have a corner or two in place and have connected some random pieces in the middle. But so much left to put together. You said you'd love to expound on this thread and histadelia. Please do, we'd love to hear what's cooking in your mind.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 AM   #37
    kkpb7825

I have some important new infomation that i need to relay to you all regarding this theory.

Firstly, it seems that h1 receptors (the ones that dilate blood vessels) are perhaps not involved. Rather that h2 receptors are the important receptors in acne-genesis.

Before i present my research, i have a couple of thoughts i have been considering over the last few days. I don't believe that acne is just due to histadelic affects on metabolism, but rather an important part of the effect of chronically high histamine levels. This explains why many who eat very health diets still get acne. The role of H2 receptors fully needs to be eludicated, and the effects of cimetidine on acne isnt simply due to a possible anti-androgen effect:as the following study suggests:

H2-antagonists and possibilities for their therapeutic use in dermatology]

[Article in German]

Diller G, Orfanos CE.

H2-antagonists differ from the commonly applied antihistamines (H1-antagonists) by blocking a different spectrum of histamine-mediated pharmacologic reactions. Their effects on the skin as the target organ may be stronger, weaker, or even reverse. The main representative of this group of drugs is cimetidine. Other compounds are still in experimental stages. Some controversial effects were reported in urticaria, pruritus, atopic dermatitis, mastocytosis of the skin, and also in acne and psoriasis. With polyetiologic symptoms, as are manifested in cases of urticaria and pruritus, the efficacy of the drug may depend on the underlying disease. In acne and psoriasis, the clinical type and stage of the disease may also play a major role in the outcome of such studies. Experimental and clinical findings suggest that cimetidine has some immunomodulating effect in terms of influencing the delayed type skin hypersensitivity. The intake of cimetidine should be registered in patch testing. Application of H2-antagonists may be beneficial in diseases with reduced immune resistance (generalized mycotic infections). Serious group-specific side-effects of H2-antagonists are not yet known. Several side-effects have been reported following oral intake of cimetidine; however, their frequency seems rather low.

This study suggests that h2 receptor blockade reduce the delayed type hypersenstivity of the the skin to antigens (toxins, foods etc). So acne sufferers in addition to them producing more toxins (possibly through an effect of histamine-via h2 recpetors- on cellular metabolic rate), also catabolising carbohydrates more rapidly (leading to hyperglyceamia and insulin resistance) ALSO have increased inflammatory sensitivity to antigens, which manifests as acne.

NOW i have some interesting supportive research....This could be very important.

1. Histamine potently suppresses human IL-12 and stimulates IL-10 production via H2 receptors.
    J Immunol 1998 Sep 1;161(5):2586-93 (ISSN: 0022-1767)
    Elenkov IJ; Webster E; Papanicolaou DA; Fleisher TA; Chrousos GP; Wilder RL
    Arthritis and Rheumatism Branch, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA. [email protected]
    IL-12 and IL-10, respectively, stimulate Th1 and Th2 immune responses. The development of some allergic reactions, infections, and tumors are associated with excessive histamine production and a shift toward Th2 responses. Here we address the possibility that this association is causally linked, at least in part, to modulation of IL-12 and IL-10 production by histamine. We report that histamine dose-dependently inhibited the secretion of human IL-12 (p70) and increased the production of IL-10 in LPS-stimulated whole blood cultures. These effects of histamine were antagonized by cimetidine, an H2 receptor antagonist, but not by selective H1 and H3 receptor blockers, and were mimicked by an H2 receptor agonist.

The effects of histamine on IL-12 and IL-10 secretion were independent of endogenous secretion of IL-10 or exogenous addition of IL-12, while Ro 20-1724, a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, potentiated the effects of histamine on IL-12 and IL-10 production, implicating cAMP in its actions. Similar modulatory effects of histamine on IL-12 and IL-10 production, which were reversed by the H2 antagonist cimetidine, were observed in PBMC and isolated monocytes stimulated by Staphylococcus aureus Cowan strain 1 and LPS, respectively. Thus, histamine, via stimulation of H2 receptors on peripheral monocytes and subsequent elevation of cAMP, suppresses IL-12 and stimulates IL-10 secretion, changes that may result in a shift of Th1/Th2 balance toward Th2-dominance. This may represent a novel mechanism by which excessive secretion of histamine potentiates Th2-mediated allergic reactions and contributes to the development of certain infections and tumors normally eliminated by Th1-dependent immune mechanisms.

To summerize..chronically raised histamine levels (histadelia), cause increased release of IL-10 by white blood cells (called monocytes) which is a chemical messenger in the immune system. This IL-10 then activates T-Helper cells (Th2 cells) and suppresses Th1 cells.

The whole immune system function depends on the relative balance in activity of Th1 and Th2 cells. If there is an overactivity in Th2 then the person is more prone to certain conditions, and allergies etc.
    The following artical explains the relevance of this much better...:

The important message is that there are 2 types of Helper T-cells in the immune system called Th1 and Th2. The Th1 cells deal with acute infection - like colds and flu's, infected cuts etc. The Th2 cells are responsible for antibody production so that the body can overcome a repeat infection much faster. In simple terms - Th1 are the soldiers fighting in hand to hand combat and the Th2 cells are those on guard duty to sound the alarm and repel invaders.

Problems occur when the Th2 cells become dominant unbalancing the Th1 cells. When this occurs we tend to develop chronic allergies, depressive psychological disturbances, auto-immune diseases, leaky gut and constant infections that are difficult to resolve.

The pattern can be set in childhood as vaccination stimulates Th2 production (can be further stimulated by fluvac etc) and lowers Th1 cells. So a pattern is set up with frequent colds, flu's and ear infections etc that are hard to throw off. We may then end up on antibiotics which kill off the good gut flora, leading to overgrowth of candida and causing damage to the gut lining. This results in decreased nutrient absorption, indigestion, gut ulceration, leaky gut, food intolerances allergic reactions, chronic illness like asthma etc, build-up of toxic metals, chronic ill health and auto immune disease such as Chronic Fatigue, diabetes, Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and autism in susceptible individuals as the Th2 climbs higher. So at any point in our lives we can be thrown into this vicious cycle of ill-health that is self perpetuating.

T Helper 2 Cells are raised by infection, vaccines, stress, faulty digestion, leaky gut, candida, eating processed sugars & flours, trans-fats like margarine, omega 6 fatty acids like canola oil - all of which can lead to adrenal exhaustion, a further complication.

NOTICE that this above list is also the list of acne triggers....
    So all the bits of the puzzel are slowly making sence..All the things that are widely supposed to cause acne are in the above list..stress, faulty digestion, leaky gut, candida, processed foods, sugars, trans-fats' AND what isnt mentioned in the list but also causes activation of Th2 cells: High levels of Histamine...!!!!!! I WANT YOU TO REALISE THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS...FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ALL THE THINGS THAT WE HAVE ALL LINKED TO OUR ACNE ERUPTIONS, IN A CAUSE-EFFECT MANOR..ARE IN THE ABOVE LIST...NOW WE CAN SEE HOW THE CAUSAL FACTORS ARE CONNECTED WITH EACH OTHER!! They ALL increase the Th2:Th1 imbalance..

So to summarize chronic acne, is due to an imbalance in Th2:Th1 activity which promotes a delayed type hypersensitivity of the skin (to toxins, foods, and bacterial products) which is due to many things (see above list), including high histamine, thus all of these things must be addressed to normalise the balance.

Lastly, this thoery would be further proven if it was found that there is an association between vaccination (which is one of the factors that increase the th2:th1 ration) and acne, in suseptible individuals, i.e. ones that worsen the imbalance through other means as well such as histadelics...I found this:

[I]The national smallpox vaccine program proved last year to be a bumpy road; it was also especially spotty for about 10 percent of Vanderbilt’s vaccinated volunteers who broke out in a curious acne-like rash.

“Several of the volunteers said their acne worsened, and we weren’t sure it was the vaccine,” said Dr. Tom Talbot, an Infectious Diseases fellow and co-investigator in Vanderbilt’s smallpox vaccine clinical trials. (The national trials also were coordinated here.)
    “Then in late October (2002, during the clinical trial), we saw two volunteers with generalized rashes on their backs and legs and we became more attuned to a possible association with the vaccine,” Talbot said. “The second light bulb to go off was in a news story in which one volunteer noted new ‘acne’ on his back after vaccination. He said he ‘felt like a teen-ager again"

All that this proves is that vaccination, which worsens the Th2:Th1 imbalnce is associated with an acne like rash in some individuals...still this is an interesting development.

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-13-2005 at 06:11 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #38
    Freerider

Freerider HB User

Excellent work kkpb. I've heard that Th2 dominance can lead to certain health conditions, but acne was never mentioned. Your research definitely offers compelling evidence and seems to bridge a gap. I don't know a whole lot about the immune response. But what causes a Th2:Th1 imbalance in one person to become, for example, asthma and the imbalance in another person causes acne?
    I definitely believe there are environmental reasons for the state of acne today. Supposedly the number of adult acne cases today is unprecedented. Where 20 years ago, one could expect to gain relief from acne as they entered adulthood. Not anymore. Is it possible that overmedicated history of the typical acne sufferer (accutane, antibiotics, spiro, the list is endless) has further disrupted the Th2:Th1 balance, leading to acne in the late 20's, 30's and on?
    I remember my grandmother saying that in the early 1900's she would have been hard-pressed to find someone with acne. Is that because the society then wasn't overmedicated or exposed to as many toxins and processed foods? Or maybe because vaccines were not yet shoved down our throats (the vaccine link).
    Perilla Seed Extract has been used for immune system balancing. Maybe it will have a positive effect on acne. Here's a list I found of what perilla seed extract supposedly does:
    • Suppress T helper Th2-type cytokine production, particularly interleukins 4, 5, 6, and 10 reducing inflammation
    • Encourage Th1-type cytokines reducing the allergic response
    • Suppress IgE production reducing the immediate allergic response
    • Inhibit the overproduction of TNF-alpha reducing inflammation and allergies
    • Inhibit histamine release from mast cells responsible for allergic symptoms – a natural anti-histamine effect.
    • Inhibit the breakdown of arachidonic acid into inflammatory leukotrienes

Old 07-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #39
    theREDshoes

theREDshoes HB User

Interesting that you associated acne with high histamine levels. I use orthomoelcular medicine to treat my multiple deficiencies. Ortho basically discovered this imbalance of histamine levels that some people can have. In ortho there are high histamine types and low histamine types. Your histamine levels, if low, can easily be raised by taking naicin in the nicotinic acid form. that form produces the flushing. that flushing is basically when your mast and basophil cells fill with histamine. Histamine is important for many, many things but not acne. Histamine in the brain is a neurotransmitter, but in the muscles it has to do with immune response and inflamation, mucous production, sex drive and orgasm, and still some other things.

High histamine types would naturally have to avoid taking niacin in the nicotinic acid form because it would only raise their naturally high histamine levels, which they don't want. And yes, typically, but not always, the high histamine type has a thin build, fast metabolism and can be hyperactive. (And this type is ususally more common in males but is found in females, but less frequently.) But not all are actually that way. marilyn monroe is believed to be a high histaimne type because of her comment to photographers once when she said they never take pictures of her best asset - her teeth. High histamine types can have absolutely no cavities because they have a lot of saliva which prevents the bacteria from causing decay. But not all may have no cavities because they also are deficient in zinc. (This type actually has a number of deficiencies besides zinc, like magnesium which is the reason for the hyperactivity.) Zinc deficiencies are known, according to orthomocular, to cause acne too. And that is why I think you are partially right about why high histamine types may be prone to acne problems.

But a search for this including the word "orthomolecular" may help pinpoint this info better.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #40
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

theRedshoes,
    Does orthomolecular therapy work for your acne? What does it involve?
    Thanks!

Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #41
    theREDshoes

theREDshoes HB User

Well, when I don't take enough zinc I do break out.

There are only three main types in ortho: high histamine, low histamine and pyroluria. I have pyroluria which is a zinc and vitamin b6 deficiency. (I literally **** away zinc and b6 in my urine because my body produces this substance that binds up both nutrients.) So, I can have a problem with breaking out sometimes, when my zinc levels go too low, the main cause of that is usually stress.

What does using ortho involve for me? I also have low histamine levels beside pyroluria. As a result I take 5 grams of nicotinic acid, in 1000 mg. dose 5 times a day. (That keeps my histamine levels up throughtout the day.) I take about 90 mg. of zinc three times a day. I take a total of 3 grams of vitamin b6 each day. I also must take magnesium with all that b6 to avoid the tingling sensation. I also take a number of other b vitamins like folic acid, thiamin, b12, and some essential fatty acids.

Ortho is not something I can recommend someone try on their own because of the high doses. I started with lower doses than what I take now because your body has to get used to those higher amounts. You really have to know what you are doing with this really high doses. So, it is a process of ramping up the doses, in the loading phase, and then adjusting them lower after the loading phase. It requires that you know what you are doing.

But I highly recommend a product called Zinc Status. This sells for about $15 in a health food store and tells you right away if you are deficient in zinc. This is what I used to discover my zinc deficiency, and then led me to discover my multiple deficiencies. The Zinc Status works because zinc plays a role in taste and smell sensation. The product has a metallic taste that you won't experience if you are zinc deficient.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:50 AM   #42
    bahamagirl
    (female)

bahamagirl HB User

I have to agree....i am thin and cant seem to put on weight and have acne.
    U say that urs is starting to clear up..what are u doing?
    Please post it! Im very interested to hear coz its obvious that my acne is coming from the inside rather than the outside and i would love to know something natural that could help.
    Thanks

Old 07-18-2005, 06:20 AM   #43
    kkpb7825

redshoes...thanks for the infomation, but reallywe are in fact agreeing with one another. If you recall, i mentioned in 2 or 3 earlier posts that clearly histamine itself wasn't DIRECTLY causing acne, this is where i disagreed with the guy that originally mentioned it.

This has to be the case, for three reasons firstly because ALOT of people get atopy (diseases linked to histamine, such as hayfever, asthma, eczema etc) and never get acne, also niacin (which increases histamine production) doesnt cause acne, and some people think actually helps to clear up acne. Thirdly Anti-histamines (that you buy for hayfever), such as loratidine DONT help acne AT ALL, and i have tried them countless times, and read various studies.

However clearly chronically high histamine has alot of effects on the body, and it is these effects that can lead tyo acne.

For example: Histadelics produce more bodily secretions (saliva as you mentioned) and also mucous, and a large mucus production tends to prevent nutrient absorbtion which may lead to acne.

Histadelics are also zinc deficient (as you said), again this is linked to acne

Histadelics have a fast metabolism, which produces more toxins from normal food, which again is linked to acne.

Chronically raised histamine levels is one of the main things that contributes to an in-balance in Th2: Th1 lymphocytes in the immune system (Please see my previous post for all the evidence that i have collected regarding this matter), such an in-balance promotes a delayed type hypersensitivity reaction in the skin to various things, such as toxins, food proteins and bacterial metabolic products....inflammation....acne.

Very interestingly, i didnt realise that histadelics also have no cavities, because this is another thing to add to my list...i have never had a cavity in my life! this theory is becoming more and more interesting as the evidence accumulates, please continue to contribute.

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-18-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #44
    kkpb7825

It suddenly occured to me that i havent explained what i am taking for my acne based on this new research..

H2-ANTAGONISTS.... this is the most important thing,based on my research it helps to normalise the in-balance in the immune system that is promoted by modern-wester living (and high histamine levels)...PLEASE SEE MY LAST TWO POSTS.

BRIEF EXPLANATION:

Histamine acts mainly on two receptor sites: H1 (blood vessels, lungs etc) H1 receptors are the ones that cause the symptoms of hayfever and the blushing effect of niacin, as the blood vessels dilate.

H2 receptors act in many other places, including the stomach (where they increase acid secretion and this is what H2 antagonists are sold for (to prevent heart burn). They also act in the skin and on immune cells.

One important immune cell they act on is called the monocyte... they stimulate the monocyte to release a chemical messenger to signal Th2 cells to activate. the chemical also deactivates Th1 cells, this in-balance becomes long term and is also influences by modern lifestyles.

The in-balance causes the delayed type hypersenstivity reaction that is now chronic and is acne-like, or acne.

My next line of research (if anyone wants to join me) is the influence of hormones on the in-balance to the immune system.

Also i am requesting that if anyone tries this treatment that they mention it on this message board, there are other things they should be taking as well. Also i would like to know if this works for anyone else...

But importantly look at the list i mentioned on my post (2 posts ago..with all the evidence) because there are many things that contribute to the in-balance (not just histamine).. they all must be addressed, but once you do i frimly believe that you will see an amazing improvment.

My skin is now clearer (after i week of the H2 antagonist) than it has been since isotretinoin. But finally there are other important points like, dose, timing and other supplements, dietary etc (all based on this theory) that are important, so if anyone wants to know all this then let me know, because i have to ge now..thanks

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-18-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #45
    theREDshoes

theREDshoes HB User

In orthomolecular the histadelic is considered deficient in several nutrients because of their fast metabolism burning through nutrients quickly. The histadelics deficiencies are simply a result of their unusually fast metabolism.

Another thing to consider with high histamine levels is methylation. This is a hot area in biochemistry right now. Histadelics are also consider under-methylators. Some new supplements that are known for increasing methylation are SAM-e and betaine or TMG, to name just two. It seems that people who are under-methylators are deficient in sulfur. There is really no supplement, or pure form of sulfur, but one post in this thread mentioned methionine. Methionine is a sulfur containing amino acid that is used for histadelics in ortho but it must be cycled. Taking methionine EVERY day is not recommended and may cause problems. (It should be taken with the other needed nutrients as well.) I beleive the same is true for SAM-e since that contains methionine too. Usually people who benefit from SAM-e are likely to be histadelics. This supplement will help methylation and therefore help prevent histamine from getting high.

So, if you think you are a high histamine type you might want to do some more research on methylation, since that is how the body gets rid of histamine, through methylation. And the right supplements will increase your body's methylation rates. This, I think, would be a better solution than using some type of anti-histamines, since you are treating the cause of the problem instead of the end result. (You can lower your histamine levels AFTER they get too high or you can prevent them from getting too high in the first place.)

Methylation is a hot topic for biochemists right now because if your methylation does not work properly then it directly impacts on your DNA methylation. Your DNA methylation is how your gene expression is turned off and on. So this DNA methlation is critical to your health. For further reseach on methylation I suggest reading Craig Cooney's book Methyl Magic or Kilmer McCulley's book The Homocysteine Revolution. Your methylation going awry is what actually causes high homocysteine levels. Knowing your homocysteine levels is probably the best medical test available today for knowing your overall health and your risk of serious heart disease. So histamine is only one thing imfluenced by methylation. But, methylation is an important area to understand because it is possible to learn how nutrition can help keep your methylation working proper and therefore your DNA methylation working properly to reduce your risk of most serious diseases.

But as far as acne is concerned there have been studies showing the link between a zinc deficiency (or high copper levels) and acne. Sometimes people can have a problem with foods that contain copper, causing them to break out. Foods that contain copper are chocolate, alcohol, and vegetarian protein sources like soy, beans, nuts and seeds. I think some people can experience an acne problem from eating a vegetarian diet because the high copper levels can prevent the zinc from being absorbed. Copper and zinc will fight for absorption in the GI tract.

Closed Thread