It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• ACNE: The New Theory

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #61
    finallyfreealmost!
    (female)

finallyfreealmost! HB User
    Re: ACNE: The New Theory

Hi All,
    I've been following this thread with increasing interest, especially the science part of the theory.
    I've controlled my acne for years with varying degrees of success with topicals (obagi), systemics (accutane twice, antibiotics almost constantly), also take 1 selenium/zinc/ vit c/ vit b combined tablet each day; but i know that underneath this sometimes smooth skin, i still have major acne.

Am thin, 114 pounds, 5 feet 7 inches, have too much energy, don't really sleep at night, have all the histadelic symptoms, allergic to horses, and sometimes allergic to aubergines and coconuts, but strangely, not all of the time. Also used to faint a lot... and feel cold a lot of the time.

Have PCOS, but don't look like it, in fact my doctor was shocked with my test results due to slimness and the fact that i have 4 children.. but here's why... i have never liked carbs, eat mostly proteins and vegetables anyway and have done so for years...do have a sugar and soda addiction, and drinking lots of water does nothing for my skin condition, and neither did giving up sugar for 6 months.

When I eat anything like bread or rice or pasta, I immediately feel tired, sluggish and sleepy, and I mean immediately, like within 15 minutes at the very most.

Also, I have NEVER had acne anywhere except on my face, in fact my bodyskin is very dry.
    Strangely enough, all my kids were born prematurely @29 weeks, and in fact so was I!

How does this fit into your theory. Am planning to start taking the Zantac, but pl tell me, does Zantac have any horrible side effects if you're not taking it for heart problems or whatever it was deisned to treat in the first place?
    thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 03:43 AM   #62
    kkpb7825

Quote:
    CONSTANT..The theory is histamines, with a cursory visit to insulin resistance. Puberty resolves but in many cases acne does not. Babies are born, pregestational diabetes resolved, and an adult woman many times has a life long suffering of acne. A GTT can be performed and show no insulin problems yet still a woman suffers endlessly. Peri-menopause, menopause, menses etc. can cause significant flareups.

As far as food allergies I'm a bit confused. Your above posts seems to contradict what was said earlier. That being said, what would be the definition to food intolerances be? Latose intolerance? Does this then lead to acne?

Puberty can bring on insulin resistance but it also brings on huge hormonal changes.

One cannot rule out hormones. At the very least both are culprits.

Now back to histamines, are you suggesting histamines create insulin resistance or insulin resistance creates abundance of histamines?

I feel like I'm running in circles here.

I think there is some confusion in what is going on here, i will do my best to clear it up, but my main summary is still in the pipeline...

The confusion has occured due to the way in which the thread has evolved...you see, the thread started with the observation that a significant proportion of acne sufferers had the signs and symptoms of histadelia. THIS is NOT a cause and effect relationship (ie histadelia doesnt cause acne)...however as the thread evolved it became known that histadelia PROMOTES a specific imbalance in the immune system, related to t-lymphocytes (see earlier pages)..

This imbalance is also promoted by MANY other factors (these factors have all in the past been widely considered to promote acne-genesis , such as stress, insulin resistance, candida,Histadelia and other imbalances in the thyroid etc, a highly processed carbohydrate diet etc etc..again see earlier pages for a more extensive list)..

NOW..it is also a known immunological fact that the specific imbalance that we are talking about here, predisposes people to have delayed type hypersensitivity reactions (DTH) (which can occur in the skin), these reactions can occur as a responce to any trigger, but the tendancy to have the reaction is promoted by the list above....

The reaction is not an allergic reaction, such as one that can occur to pollen or certain foods, this reaction is still mediated by histamine but at H1 receptors that occur in blood vessels amongst other places..hence the characteristic red flushing effect

However, people who are histadelic may get more orthodox allergic reactions or they may not, the immunological proceses are completely different, the key point (currently in this thread) is that acne may in fact be a DTH, which changes everything, the predisposing conditions that cause the immunological imbalance that increases the likelyhood of having DTH reactions is varied and depends on individuals...

Lastly during puberty as sweetjade has pointed out...we all become insulin resistant to allow for growth (there is higher circulating groth factors such as IGF1)..the point is that the skin becomes insulin resistant (hence the phrase 'skin diabetes'), this condition also promoters the immune imbalance that predisposes the person to having DTH.

All This is presently theory that is supported by a multitude of evidence, but could have important implications for treatment, because now we can target treatment at decreasing the tendancy to have DTH reactions...

(in the below notice how the new theory explains all the established 'causes of acne' in a new -more connected- light)....

By addressing all the factors on the list, whatever is more important for you individually...for example...redshoes believes (and it may well be the case) that histadelia is in fact promoted by being what is known as a 'low-methylator' now since 'methylation' is required to deactivate histamine, this could well be the case...hence one can try SAMe supplementation to increase methylation and deactivation of histamine...

Low-methylators also universally have a LOW ZINC STATUS and high copper status...hence the rational for zinc supplementation and copper restriction (ie restriction of tap water)..

Low-methylators have very low sulphur status, which can increase inflammation and decrease tissue repair..hence the rational for MSM

low methlyators have high histamine status (histadelia) which causes a fast metabolism..hence the person is thin, sweaty, and produces alot of toxins...hence the rational for detoxing

Histadelia promotes the immune imbalance that we have discussed so H2 antagonists can help to decrease this effect...see earlier pages for evidence.. (or perilla seed?)..

Other factors that promote the immune imbalance..insulin resistance..hence the rational for diet that is low in refined carbohydrate and/or alpha lipoic acid

Stress..(which has ahormonal component which may in fact be what is promoting the imbalance..cortisol anybody???!!!) hence the rational for relaxation techniques etc..yoga has been said to help?

candida..promotes the imbalance...always known to worsen acne, now we have a possible explanation..

TRANS-fatty acid, (promote the imbalance), again this has always been a known cause of acne

Lack of omega 3 fatty acids....

Poor digestion...(perhaps contibuted by too much mucous secretion by histadelics?..or just lack of fibre in general etcetc)...

ALL these things have long been known to contibute to acne...but in the past the reason why each thing caused acne was different...for example...
    low zinc (and nobody new why) was believed to cause lack of DHT inhibition
    while candida was supposed to allow too many toxins into the body...
    now we have a theory that ties all of these separate things into ONE causative theory..this is how science evolves..we can see the scientific connections that underly all of the previous observations..

TO finish, then the important point is the immune imbalance that give rise to an increased tendancy to having DTH reactions..this imbalance occurs due to a list of things that is pretty much identical to the list of things that cause acne, histadelia is JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS, as is insulin resistance etc, people can have some of these things with out others and not get DTH reactions, it depends on the individual and there time of life.

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-25-2005 at 03:54 AM.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:17 AM   #63
    antifaith

antifaith HB User

All this science is getting very confusing to me.. i'm a genius in economics and politics but when it comes to biology I'm pretty lost!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've been following the exact same regimen that kkpb is on for 2 weeks now. My skin has never looked this good in 10 years. The redness is fading, no new acne has formed(except a few minor whiteheads that actually healed in 2 days), I sleep SO MUCH better, have more energy, more motivation and my digestion has improved.

I don't know if all those things were expected or not, but I really do owe you a big thank you kkpb for creating this thread and sharing all your priceless research with us.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 AM   #64
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkpb7825
    SNIP:
    TO finish, then the important point is the immune imbalance that give rise to an increased tendancy to having DTH reactions..this imbalance occurs due to a list of things that is pretty much identical to the list of things that cause acne, histadelia is JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS, as is insulin resistance etc, people can have some of these things with out others and not get DTH reactions, it depends on the individual and there time of life.
    I understand a lot better now.

I would be interested in knowing what you feel would be appropriate treatment, supplement intake, diet changes etc.,as a whole. In other words, what would be a good across the board, for any age group or gender, treatment, maintenance and/or prevention plan. If there is not one plan then what would be a plan, for example, for a woman who has adult acne at the age of forty, two children and is peri menopausal. What would be the plan for a 15 year old boy with acute onset of acne which coincided with purberty?

Old 07-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #65
    toocool

toocool HB User

is ranitidine a prescription drug?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #66
    antifaith

antifaith HB User

Yes it is. Wish i knew how people get their hands on it.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #67
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

You can get ranitidine over the counter by buying Zantac, which is a heartburn medicine.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #68
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    The theory is histamines, with a cursory visit to insulin resistance. Puberty resolves but in many cases acne does not. Babies are born, pregestational diabetes resolved, and an adult woman many times has a life long suffering of acne. A GTT can be performed and show no insulin problems yet still a woman suffers endlessly. Peri-menopause, menopause, menses etc. can cause significant flareups.

As far as food allergies I'm a bit confused. Your above posts seems to contradict what was said earlier. That being said, what would be the definition to food intolerances be? Latose intolerance? Does this then lead to acne?

Puberty can bring on insulin resistance but it also brings on huge hormonal changes.

One cannot rule out hormones. At the very least both are culprits.

Now back to histamines, are you suggesting histamines create insulin resistance or insulin resistance creates abundance of histamines?

I feel like I'm running in circles here.
    Oh my, apologies for any part I may have played in you feeling like your running in circles, but Iím glad Kkpb helped things out ;-)

As was mentioned earlier, Insulin Resistance is what causes the temporary hormonal imbalance, and as such, it's a neccessary occurance during puberty in order to further grow and develop secondary sex characteritics. Well, at least that's what I've gotten of the journal articles and abstracts I've read.

Unfortunately as I pointed out, some members, such as myself, can be born premature, and develop precocious puberty, and experience (silently) increasingly worse insulin resistance/PCOS throughout their life until they finally get hit with a serious metabolic health problem.

A GTT can be performed and show no abnormalities, if you are experiencing Stage I Insulin Resistance. Insulin Resistance is defined as being Asymptomatic, meaning you won't show clincal signs of a problem until it gets worse (official exception being Acanthosis Nigricans in 99% of cases). Otherwise, GTT abnornalities are not present until Stage 2. Of course the later stages, Stage 4 & 5 are different severities of Type II Diabetes.

You are correct about this topic being created initially to discuss histamine hypersensitivity, BUT as Kkpb has already mentioned, it has evolved to included insulin resistance, among other diseases because at this point, it doesn't seem that one causes the other...but there may still be a connection...possibly inflammation.

What has been noted is that high histamine levels can be found in the blood of (certain) acne sufferers and in the blood of those that suffer from allergies, and probably intolerances and other hypersensitivities as well. However, it's not solely the histamine, but what the immune system does as a result of it's presence...create more inflammation.

When dealing with ANY hypersensitivity, inflammation is usually one of the symptoms, but it can show up through edema, tongue swelling, swelling of the bronchial tube, or some form of dermatitis for example. Therefore this is the biggest connection because acne sufferers have quite a few inflammatory products that contribute to the development of acne and sebum production. In fact, there's a few studies indicating that one such inflammatory product IL-1 alpha is responsible for initiating microcomedone (whiteheads & blackheads) formation!

Thus what this thread is doing is examining the role of the (skinís) immune system, and subsequently inflammation, in determining a possible root cause of acne. Of course, hormones still play a role here for certain cases of acne (that are linked to disorders currently not assoc. w/chronic inflammation), but because SILENT long term inflammation, can also lead to certain Hormonal, Metabolic and even a few Auto-Immune Disorders that have acne as a symptom, including: Histadelia, Insulin Resistance/PCOS-Hyperandrogenism, Hypothyroidism, Lupus, (Microbe infections), and Leaky Gut Syndrome, itís seems like a good idea to discuss this particular angle. Furthermore, taking into account that members of this board have found success in diet or found that they broke out as a result of toothpaste or some skin care ingredient, it appears that Delayed Type Hypersensitivity (DTH) reactions (results in delayed reactions as opposed to an immediate reaction seen in allergies) has the ability to connect all forms of acne. Upon looking at how many different types of acniforms there are and what are there various causes (some of us have more than one), this connection appears even more plausible :

ACNE:

Aestivalis
    Chloracne
    Comedonica
    Congloblata
    Cosmetica
    Cystica
    Detergicans
    Excoriee
    Fulminans
    Infantum
    Inversa
    Mechanica
    Neonatorum
    Papulopustulosa
    Pustulosa
    Rosacea
    (has subtypes)
    Venenata
    Vulgaris
    etc.

(Can you determine the cause by itís name?)

Therefore, if you, or any others, are curious as to whether you may be experiencing silent chronic inflammation, you should have a Complete Blood Count (CBC), Lipid Profile, and most importantly a C-Reactive Protein test (hsCRP) run. High levels of CRP is a marker of inflammation and is indicative for heart disease, but it is also used to check for other Inflammatory Diseases as well as Auto-Immune Diseases (also inflammatory) and as such, it may help determine if you are at risk for certain health problems (releated to acne) or may already be (subclincally) experiencing them.

If you are concerned that you may have thyroid abnormalities or glucose intolerance you should has also have your Thyroid Hormones, a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) and various measures of glucose tolerance run (GTT, etc).

For those that can afford it, getting your Sex Steriod hormones (Progesterone, Total T, Free T, DHEA, Androstenedione, Estrogen), LH, FSH, & associated enzymes would also be a VERY good idea.

Hope that helped some =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-25-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #69
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finallyfreealmost!
    Hi All,
    I've been following this thread with increasing interest, especially the science part of the theory.
    I've controlled my acne for years with varying degrees of success with topicals (obagi), systemics (accutane twice, antibiotics almost constantly), also take 1 selenium/zinc/ vit c/ vit b combined tablet each day; but i know that underneath this sometimes smooth skin, i still have major acne.

Am thin, 114 pounds, 5 feet 7 inches, have too much energy, don't really sleep at night, have all the histadelic symptoms, allergic to horses, and sometimes allergic to aubergines and coconuts, but strangely, not all of the time. Also used to faint a lot... and feel cold a lot of the time.

Have PCOS, but don't look like it, in fact my doctor was shocked with my test results due to slimness and the fact that i have 4 children.. but here's why... i have never liked carbs, eat mostly proteins and vegetables anyway and have done so for years...do have a sugar and soda addiction, and drinking lots of water does nothing for my skin condition, and neither did giving up sugar for 6 months.

When I eat anything like bread or rice or pasta, I immediately feel tired, sluggish and sleepy, and I mean immediately, like within 15 minutes at the very most.

Also, I have NEVER had acne anywhere except on my face, in fact my bodyskin is very dry.
    Strangely enough, all my kids were born prematurely @29 weeks, and in fact so was I!

How does this fit into your theory. Am planning to start taking the Zantac, but pl tell me, does Zantac have any horrible side effects if you're not taking it for heart problems or whatever it was deisned to treat in the first place?
    thanks.
    Well try it and less us know how it goes. As for the trouble sleeping/insomnia this can be a symptom of PCOS/IR and so can feeling sleeping after eating (high) carbohydrate meals. Some members find that they can handle it, remove the brain fog, and decrease breakouts when they take ALA or the right form of K-RALA 15 minutes before their highest carb meal.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #70
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

SweetJade,

I believe it is more me then you. I've been doing an inordinate amount of reading trying to understand this information and have been successful in mostly confusing myself more. Couple that with menopause and ehhhh, well

Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #71
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Has this been covered?

Quote:
    Scand J Immunol. 1996 Dec;44(6):578-84. Related Articles, Links

Vitamin A deficiency increases inflammatory responses.

Wiedermann U, Chen XJ, Enerback L, Hanson LA, Kahu H, Dahlgren UI.

Department of Clinical Immunology, University of Goteborg, Sweden.

The authors studied the influence of vitamin A deficiency on immediate and delayed type hypersensitivity as well as granulocyte-mediated inflammatory reactions in vitamin A depleted and control rats. The number of circulating leucocytes was 43% higher in the vitamin A deficient than in the control animals. The leucocytosis was a result of a general increase of white blood cells and was not due to an increase in one particular type. The ratio between CD4+ and CD8+ T cells was unchanged. The vitamin A deficient rats had a four times higher T-cell proliferative response and a two times higher interferon-gamma production in vitro than the control animals. In accordance, the DTH reaction was consistently higher in the vitamin A deficient rats. The granulocyte dependent inflammation, induced by olive oil injection, was also strongly enhanced in the vitamin A deficient rats compared with the controls. In addition, the spontaneous release of nitric oxide from the peritoneal phagocytes was five times higher in the vitamin A deficient animals. The number of peritoneal mast cells was about one and a half times higher in the vitamin A deficient than in the control animals. The density of IgE-receptors on the mast cells, the IgE receptor occupancy and the histamine release from the mast cells did not differ between the groups, however. The vitamin A deficient immunized rats displayed a consistently stronger immediate skin reaction after intracutaneous antigen injection than the immunized control rats, despite lower IgE antibody levels. The skin reaction after intracutaneous injection of histamine was also significantly greater in the deficient animals. Despite the stronger reaction to antigen and histamine, the passive cutaneous anaphylaxis reaction was lower in the vitamin A deficient rats. In conclusion the study shows that vitamin A deficiency aggravates the clinical manifestations of inflammatory reactions. Thus, vitamin A deficiency might lead to a higher risk of acquiring irreversible tissue damage and disabling destruction. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=8972739&query_hl=108

Furthermore, Substance P is not only associated with modulating the events in the development of acne as well as being present due to some sort of stress-induced adrenal stimulation (acne suffers can have high adrenal DHEA levels), but it can release histamine
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15989807&query_hl=140
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15885311&query_hl=140

Quote:
    Dermatology. 2003;206(1):17-23. Related Articles, Links

New aspects in acne inflammation.

Toyoda M, Morohashi M.

Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani, Toyama, Japan.

There is ample clinical evidence suggesting that the nervous system such as emotional stress can influence the course of acne. We examined possible participation of cutaneous neurogenic factors including neuropeptides, neuropeptide-degrading enzymes and neurotrophic factors, in association with inflammation in the pathogenesis of acne. Immunohistochemical studies revealed that substance P (SP)-immunoreactive nerve fibers were in close apposition to the sebaceous glands, and that neutral endopeptidase (NEP) was expressed in the germinative cells of the sebaceous glands in the skin from acne patients. Nerve growth factor showed immunoreactivity only within the germinative cells. In addition, an increase in the number of mast cells and a strong expression of endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 on the postcapillary venules were observed in adjacent areas to the sebaceous glands. In vitro, the levels and the expression of stem cell factor by fibroblasts were upregulated by SP. When organ-cultured normal skin specimens were exposed to SP, we observed significant increases in the sizes of the sebaceous glands and in the number of sebum vacuoles in sebaceous cells. Furthermore, supplementation of SP to organ-cultured skin induced expression of NEP, and we demonstrated the subcellular localization of NEP in the endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus within the sebaceous germinative cells using preembedding immunoelectron microscopy. These findings suggest that SP may stimulate lipogenesis of the sebaceous glands which may be followed by proliferation of Propionibacterium acnes, and may yield a potent influence on the sebaceous glands by provocation of inflammatory reactions via mast cells. Thus, cutaneous neurogenic factors should contribute to onset and/or exacerbation of acne inflammation. Copyright 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=12566801&query_hl=147
    Quote:
    The increased activity of sebaceous glands elicited by androgen causes proliferation of P. acnes, an anaerobe present within the retained sebum in the pilosebaceous ducts. The organism possesses a ribosome-rich cytoplasm and a relatively thick cell wall, and produces several biologically active mediators that may contribute to inflammation, for instance, by promoting leukocyte migration and follicular rupture. In inflamed lesions, numerous neutrophils and macrophages infiltrate around hair follicles and sometimes phagocytose P. acnes. To examine the participation of neurogenic factors in the pathogenesis of acne, we quantitatively assessed the effects of neuropeptides on the morphology of sebaceous glands in vitro using electron microscopy. Substance P, which can be elicited by stress, promoted the development of cytoplasmic organelles in sebaceous cells, stimulated sebaceous germinative cells, and induced significant increases in the area of sebaceous glands. It also increased the size of individual sebaceous cells and the number of sebum vacuoles for each differentiated sebaceous cell, all of which suggests that substance P promotes both the proliferation and the differentiation of sebaceous glands. In this review, we introduce the general concept of pathogenic factors involved in acne, including typical electron microscopic findings and recent evidence of stress-induced exacerbation of acne from a neurological point of view. An improved understanding of the pathogenesis of acne should lead to a rational therapy to successfully treat this skin disease. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=11479771&query_hl=147
    Quote:
    Increased sebum excretion is a major factor in the pathophysiology of acne vulgaris. Other sebaceous gland functions are also associated with the development of acne, including sebaceous proinflammatory lipids; different cytokines produced locally; periglandular peptides and neuropeptides, such as corticotrophin-releasing hormone, which is produced by sebocytes; and substance P, which is expressed in the nerve endings at the vicinity of healthy-looking glands of acne patients. Current data indicate that acne vulgaris may be a primary inflammatory disease. Future drugs developed to treat acne not only should reduce sebum production and Propionibacterium acnes populations, but also should be targeted to reduce proinflammatory lipids in sebum, down-regulate proinflammatory signals in the pilosebaceous unit, and inhibit leukotriene B(4)-induced accumulation of inflammatory cells. They should also influence peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor regulation. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15556719&query_hl=147
    Honestly, I don't believe that excess sebum alone is the culprit, nor do I believe that bacteria is the sole culprit. I think that when it comes to sebum, it's more so the composition of the sebum that matters (inflammatory products, etc - see above), as both people with or without acne can have dry or oily skin. Although there may be a ton of additive or cumulative effects going on that may further exacerbate and thus dictate the type/size of acne we develop.

So, for example, Substance P, aside from releasing histamine, it can intiate IL-1alpha production and therefore people that are stressed may be more prone to just receiving blackheads and whiteheads. When I reflect back, I don't see people that have always been clear suddenly develop cystic acne due to stress, but usually the smaller types along with some redness. Can anyone else recall what stress-induced acne looks like?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-25-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #72
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    SweetJade,

I believe it is more me then you. I've been doing an inordinate amount of reading trying to understand this information and have been successful in mostly confusing myself more. Couple that with menopause and ehhhh, well
    You know, you mentioned something earlier about your son. Are you only here because he has acne or are you also experiencing acne? If so, have you always had it, or is this something new as a result of menopause? Among the various disorders that have been mentioned does any of them sound like something you or your husband's side of the family have?

Thanks

P.S. Try not to read too much into those absracts then....they can give one a headache.

P.P.S. This line of thought is a lot for me to absorb too ;-)

Old 07-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #73
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    You know, you mentioned something earlier about your son. Are you only here because he has acne or are you also experiencing acne? If so, have you always had it, or is this something new as a result of menopause? Among the various disorders that have been mentioned does any of them sound like something you or your husband's side of the family have?

Thanks

P.S. Try not to read too much into those absracts then....they can give one a headache.

P.P.S. This line of thought is a lot for me to absorb too ;-)
    Actually my son has very mild acne. I however have had a horrendous battle with it since becoming pregnant with him 20 years ago.

Now that I am (peri?) menopausal it seems to have gotten even worse.

More interesting is I have been battling a disease for many years now that they cannot seem to put an accurate label on. It all started after I had a staphacoccyl (sp?) infection that invaded my right lung, literally splitting and collapsing it. After emergency thoracotomy surgery and SIX antibiotics it finally cleared but I never bounced back.

I became increasingly weak, brain fog, tremors, falling, horrendous headaches and muscle aches. I eventually became unable to work. Doctors at Duke were and still are befuddled. It very much mimics multiple sclerosis however I test negative for this disease. They have tested me for everything under the sun and although MRI's show significant spots in the white and grey matter of my brain they are unable to say why.

I eventually had to apply for disability and received it immediately (which is unheard of here in the states).

I could go on and on. This is almost surreal...

ps: Sometimes my brain is a terrible thing to use.

Last edited by Constant; 07-25-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #74
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Actually my son has very mild acne. I however have had a horrendous battle with it since becoming pregnant with him 20 years ago.

Now that I am (peri?) menopausal it seems to have gotten even worse.

More interesting is I have been battling a disease for many years now that they cannot seem to put an accurate label on. It all started after I had a staphacoccyl (sp?) infection that invaded my right lung, literally splitting and collapsing it. After emergency thoracotomy surgery and SIX antibiotics it finally cleared but I never bounced back.

I became increasingly weak, brain fog, tremors, falling, horrendous headaches and muscle aches. I eventually became unable to work. Doctors at Duke were and still are befuddled. It very much mimics multiple sclerosis however I test negative for this disease. They have tested me for everything under the sun and although MRI's show significant spots in the white and grey matter of my brain they are unable to say why.

I eventually had to apply for disability and received it immediately (which is unheard of here in the states).

I could go on and on. This is almost surreal...

ps: Sometimes my brain is a terrible thing to use.

Yeah you sound like the perfect candidate for alternative heatlhcare. So considering you were on 6 antibiotics (for weeks or months?) for a severe Staphylococcus Infection, did they test you to rule out other bacteria or microorganism (lyme disease?) dominant infections as a result of those antibiotics?

Did they test you for possible Candida/Systemic Yeast Infection?

For the development of various auto-immune disorders such as, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), or Lupus as a side effect of the antibiotics?

For Leaky Gut, otherwise known as Intestinal Hyperpemiablity (can affect blood-brain barrier)?

Or for any thyroid abnormalities such as Hypothyroidism or Thyroiditis?

I don't know what antibiotics you were on, but unfortunately they do have the ability to cause problems like above and in fact, most of the above conditions can have acne as symptom. Then again, these are doctors at Duke so I'm sure they considered all possibilities. ;-)

Hmm...is it even possible that you may just have a subclincal form any of these, including MS?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-25-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #75
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    Yeah you sound like the perfect candidate for alternative heatlhcare. So considering you were on 6 antibiotics (for weeks or months?) for a severe Staphylococcus Infection, did they test you to rule out other bacteria or microorganism (lyme disease?) dominant infections as a result of those antibiotics?

Did they test you for possible Candida/Systemic Yeast Infection?

For the development of various auto-immune disorders such as, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), or Lupus as a side effect of the antibiotics?

For Leaky Gut, otherwise known as Intestinal Hyperpemiablity (can affect blood-brain barrier)?

I don't know what antibiotics you were on, but unfortunately they do have the ability to cause problems like above and in fact, most of the above conditions can have acne as symptom. Then again, these are doctors at Duke so I'm sure they considered all possibilities. ;-)

Hmm...is it even possible that you may just have a subclincal form any of these, including MS?
    They tested me for every possible thing imaginable.

I was on direct heartline antibiotic therapy for many weeks. They had to keep switching antibiotics in order to "fool" the infection. Each antibiotic would work for about 6 to 8 hours and then my white blood cell count would start to increase again.

Lupus was negative as was Lyme disease. I was working in veterinary medicine and the time so they also visited the possibility of a zoonotic bacteria (dealing with many exotic animals) but were unable to isolate anything.

My eosinophilia count remains elevated. It was significantly elevated about a year prior to becoming acutely ill (I also carried a fever of about 100) with the empyema/pleural effusion however they blamed it on allergies. The actual empyema/pleural effusion presented over a 72 hour period at which time I coded in the hospital lobby.

Not familiar with Leaky gut.

Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia have been diagnosed (adjunct to this CNS disorder) however I believe CFS and Fibro are actually results of other disease/s within the body that remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated. It is because of that belief that I refuse to acknowledge them as anything more then symptoms.

I am really very interested in your opinion on Dr. Natura colon cleansing "supplements". If you google it you can find the website.

Would you give me your two cents on it?

Edited to add: FYI: I am a recovering alcoholic of eleven years. (Not sure where that may come into play).

Last edited by Constant; 07-25-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Closed Thread