It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• If u want to help your skin- read this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User
    If u want to help your skin- read this

I suffer from mild- moderate acne. I've always felt too shy to discuss with others, but whilst at work last week one of my colleagues (whom I recall suffering from severe acne), informed me of an ingredient used in most cosmetics/skin products that can have a severe effect on skin. Since he discovered this, he started using natural products and his skin is completely clear. Read this:

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate
    This inexpensive detergent is commonly used in cosmetic cleansers, hair shampoos, bath and shower gels, bubble baths, etc. - It is probably the most dangerous ingredient used in skin and hair-care products. In the cleaning industry SLS is used in garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, car-wash soaps, etc. It is very corrosive and readily attacks greasy surfaces.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is used throughout the world for clinical testing as a primary skin irritant. Laboratories use it to irritate skin on test animals and humans so that they may then test healing agents to see how effective they are on the irritated skin.

A recent study at the University of Georgia Medical College, indicated that SLS penetrated Into the eyes as well as brain, heart, liver, etc., and showed long-term retention in the tissues. The study also indicated that SLS penetrated young children's eyes from developing properly and caused cataracts to develop In adults.

May cause hair loss by attacking the follicle. Classified as a drug in bubble baths because It eats away skin protection and causes rashes and infection to occur.

Is potentially harmful to skin and hair. Cleans by corrosion. Dries skin by stripping the protective lipids from the surface so it can't effectively regulate moisture.

Another extremely serious problem is the connection of SLS with nitrate contamination. SLS reacts with many types of ingredients used in skin products and forms nitrosomines (nitrates). Nitrates are potential cancer-causing carcinogenics.

Because of the alarming penetrating power of SLS, large amounts of these known carcinogens are absorbed through the skin into the body. A variation of SLS is SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE (Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate- SLES). It exhibits many of the same characteristics and is a higher-foaming variation of SLS.

I have since followed his advice and disposed of all products that contain this ingredient and now cleanse with water only. I also use, olive oil as a skin moisturiser which I can assure does not cause acne, in fact, it reduces the swelling/inflammation and encourages skin to heal faster. Only use a small amount (I have combination skin).

My skin is now 90% clear after only one week. I felt the need to pass on my new found wisdom to others.

Good luck
    Ricky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User
    Re: If u want to help your skin- read this

WOW! That sure is scary...everything has these ingredients in them

I will try to dispose of this, even though it will be very hard because all my products contain either one ingredient or the other.

I feel bad for those poor animals who have to suffer in those tests

Old 07-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
    AcneSufferer
    (male)

AcneSufferer HB User

can u guys give me some product names that doesnt have that?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
    davelacb
    Inactive
    (male)

davelacb HB User

I need to see if i use anything that has those chemicals

Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
    davelacb
    Inactive
    (male)

davelacb HB User

OMG I just checked and it seems like my toothpaste, shaving cream, shampoo, bodywash, and an apricot face scrub all have the chemical, Im gonna keep checking to see what else has it.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
    davelacb
    Inactive
    (male)

davelacb HB User

So far I see that dove soap the bar doesnt have it even though the bodywash does pantene pro v doesnt have it. Thanks Ric

Old 07-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
    health15
    (female)

health15 HB User

I just checked the ingredients in Cetaphil cleanser. SLS is in there! My derm told me to use the antibacterial cleansing bar, but I wanted to use my gentle cleanser up first. I checked the ingredience in the bar and SLS is not in there. It has a lot of other junk that i don't know what it is, but SLS is not one of them. So, I think the bar may be better. It is also very cheap. Under $4.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
    health15
    (female)

health15 HB User

I just read something on another board about SLS. Someone listed some cleansers that DO NOT have SLS. Here is a copy of it:

Some well-priced SLS-free ones are: Rose Hip cleanser from Diana Yvonne (I've been using this), St Ives Apricot Radiance Cream Cleanser, & Neutrogena Extra Gentle.

It is also not in any of my Mary Kay products that I checked.

Last edited by health15; 07-12-2005 at 08:35 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
    ihatethis
    (male)

ihatethis HB User

I found this interesting article! Check it out!

Saving Face

By Melissa B. Scott

HAVE YOU EVER READ THE BACK OF a bottle of body wash and wondered what the heck cocamide mea was? Or wondered what effects moisturizing your face with titanium dioxide may have? Learning the lingo of the personal care industry is a nearly impossible task since new inventions, additions, and "recipes," hit the shelves on a daily basis. Even though the task is huge and truly endless there are some "hot" ingredients that you should keep out of your house and away from your skin; as well as some great ingredients that you can welcome into your home with open arms.

The skincare industry is partly confusing because of the lack of regulation by the FDA. Dr. Stephen Antczak, in the book he co-authored with Gina Antczak, Cosmetics Unmasked (Thorsons, 2001) states:

"There are over 7,000 ingredients available to manufacturers for use in cosmetics and toiletries, of which more than a thousand are known to have harmful effects, and many of these are subject to some level of legal restriction. Another 900 ingredients may have been manufactured in such a way as to be potentially contaminated with cancer-causing chemicals. Recent tests carried out by the FDA have found that a large number of these contaminants have indeed found their way into finished products in substantial quantities. This means that more than one out of every four of the ingredients listed on the label of a bottle of shampoo, for instance, or a jar of face cream, is either on the restricted list, or may be harmful in some way."

To make the confusion worse, one product that says, "natural," may contain a natural fragrance whereas another may be completely organic. Trying to decipher between the two is confusing, difficult, and sometimes almost impossible.

However, learning to read the label is critically important when it comes to several key factors: watching out for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (read the chart below for explanations); choosing only cruelty-free, no-animal-testing, animal-free lines; and watching out for possible irritants and carcinogens.

Here is a handy guide to the skincare industry. The first chart explains several of the ingredients you should keep an eye out for, the second a list of products that are worthy of your shopping dollars. Unless noted all products are labeled, "natural" and are not necessarily organic.

WATCH OUT FOR:

INGREDIENT PURPOSE FOUND IN WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID IT

Benzoates preservatives most cosmetics Linked to asthma and eczema

BHT antioxidant body wash, shampoo Can cause allergies and dermatitis, and maybe linked to cancer.

Cocamide DEA, increase foaming shampoo, conditioner, Potential carcinogen

Oleamide DEA, body wash

Lauramide DEA

DEA reduce acidity DEA is not common Currently under investigation as a

alone but DEA-related cancer suspect.

ingredients are widely

used.

FD&C Green No. 3, coloring shampoo, conditioner, Contains coal tar, a suspected

D&C Yellow No. 10 makeup, body wash carcinogen.

Nonylphenol

surfactant cosmetics, Can cause dermatitis. It is a known endocrine
    toiletries disrupter chemical (EDC). Studies have shown that it will mimic estrogen which can cause
    feminization of males which may result in low sperm counts and malformed genitalia. It can also
    accumulate in the body tissues.

Isopropyl emollient lotions and moisturizers Can be comedogenic, promoting acne and

Myristate blackheads. Some claim it may be carcinogenic.

Lauramide DEA creates foam shampoo, conditioner, This ingredient may cause cancer.

and lather face wash, body wash

Sodium Lauryl

detergent shampoo, conditioner, Extremely irritating to the skin and mucous
    Sulfate, Sodium body wash membranes and known for causing Laureth Sulfate vaginal yeast infections. Could contain
    potential carcinogens. May mimic estrogen,
    and roughen skin.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 AM   #10
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Hi ppl, happy to hear that this info was useful to you all. I couldn't believe how many shampoos, cleansers, shower-gels, bath foam, conditioners etc used harmful ingredients in them. Even my 6yr old brothers baby products had sodium sulfate in them. I for one think it's disgusting. It's no wonder so many people have skin conditions such as acne, eczema etc.

Hopefully this will help all of you to cure acne.

Ric

Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #11
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Fyi- regualr tooth-paste contains sodium sulfate. Earlier this week I purchased Sensodine which doesn't contain this harmful ingredient.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
    ihatethis
    (male)

ihatethis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ric
    Even my 6yr old brothers baby products had sodium sulfate in them.

Your 6yr old brother has a baby?!

Last edited by ihatethis; 07-13-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #13
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

baby products smart guy!!

Old 07-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #14
    ihatethis
    (male)

ihatethis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ric
    baby products smart guy!!
    i'm too funny sometimes.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #15
    health15
    (female)

health15 HB User

I can't believe this. I looked at the label of my Dove body wash. ( I buy this because of my dry itchy skin and eczema). The second ingredient is SLS!!!!
    I am definately going to try and cut out all products with this stuff in it. Oops, I just used my cetaphil tonight. Well, I guess I will start tomorrow. OK, I'm going to Whole foods and Trader Joes this weekend and spend more money!

Closed Thread