It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • Hibiclens - it works!!!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
    ecartman
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    ecartman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 13
    ecartman HB User
    Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Wanted to share something with the people on this board that has greatly improved my acne over the past couple of weeks.... it's a cleanser called hibiclens. The active ingredient in hibiclens is chlorhexidine gluconate. Chlorhexidine gluconate is a very effective antiseptic which is used as a general skin cleanser, and in lower concentrations as a mouthwash to kill plaque and bacteria in the mouth. Reducing the P. acne bacteria population of acne-prone skin is proven to help treat and prevent blemishes. Chlorhexidine gluconate is very effective at eliminating the P. acne bacteria, which makes it as good if not better than benzoyl peroxide at clearing up acne-prone skin. Since chlorhexidine gluconate is in the form of a cleanser (as opposed to benzoyl peroxide which is a topical cream gel) it only has to be on the skin for a short period of time while washing. Chlorhexidine gluconate is also effective at eliminating oil on the skin, and can be used to unclog pores and eliminate blackheads.

    You can buy hibiclens at walgreens, rite aid or CVS near the rubbing alcohol and band-aids. It's most likely in a turquoise bottle. Give it a shot! You'll be glad you did!


     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 07-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
    seamus o
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    seamus o's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 24
    seamus o HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecartman
    Wanted to share something with the people on this board that has greatly improved my acne over the past couple of weeks.... it's a cleanser called hibiclens. The active ingredient in hibiclens is chlorhexidine gluconate. Chlorhexidine gluconate is a very effective antiseptic which is used as a general skin cleanser, and in lower concentrations as a mouthwash to kill plaque and bacteria in the mouth. Reducing the P. acne bacteria population of acne-prone skin is proven to help treat and prevent blemishes. Chlorhexidine gluconate is very effective at eliminating the P. acne bacteria, which makes it as good if not better than benzoyl peroxide at clearing up acne-prone skin. Since chlorhexidine gluconate is in the form of a cleanser (as opposed to benzoyl peroxide which is a topical cream gel) it only has to be on the skin for a short period of time while washing. Chlorhexidine gluconate is also effective at eliminating oil on the skin, and can be used to unclog pores and eliminate blackheads.

    You can buy hibiclens at walgreens, rite aid or CVS near the rubbing alcohol and band-aids. It's most likely in a turquoise bottle. Give it a shot! You'll be glad you did!


    this man speakas da truf. i'm on hibiclens now too. it has worked wonders. i don't want to jinx it. i've been on it about 3 weeks. i have had zero breakouts since. i'm 27 and have had acne and tried EVERY product under the sun since i was 14.

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
    replay57
    Member
     
    replay57's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 74
    replay57 HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    how much is it?

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
    ecartman
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    ecartman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 13
    ecartman HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replay57
    how much is it?
    It's about $10 for 8oz bottle if you buy at the store. You can get a 16oz bottle online if you search for right around $11.

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
    jade112
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    jade112's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Posts: 259
    jade112 HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Does it break you out at all at first and what do you put on after you rinse with it? Just lotion?
    Thanks

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
    ecartman
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    ecartman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 13
    ecartman HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jade112
    Does it break you out at all at first and what do you put on after you rinse with it? Just lotion?
    Thanks
    I never use lotion mostly because I have oily skin and don't need it. Plus, I don't find it very drying. You could put lotion on as usual if you normally do. The key is to wash your face for at least 1 minute to give the cleanser time to kill the bacteria. I have been using differin after cleansing with hibiclens in the evenings... essentially, I'm covering both of the main causes of acne.... the hibiclens for the bacteria and the differin to slough off the dead skin cells and exfoliate.

    As far as an initial breakout... I never had one. I have been reading other boards and it seems that it doesn't normally cause an initial breakout, but begins improving the condition after the first or second day.

    Last edited by ecartman; 07-13-2005 at 12:45 PM.

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
    jade112
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    jade112's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Posts: 259
    jade112 HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Thanks ecartman-

    Maybe I will give it a try. What kind of acne did you have?

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    xismybaby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: connecticut
    Posts: 409
    xismybaby HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    where do you buy this stuff? At any store (like Walgreens, CVS, Apex)?????

    I'm very interested in this

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
    JanetinHouston
    Senior Member
     
    JanetinHouston's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 136
    JanetinHouston HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    If you can't find it on the shelf, any pharmacy can order it for you. No prescription necessary. They can get it in a day or two.

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    xismybaby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: connecticut
    Posts: 409
    xismybaby HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xismybaby
    where do you buy this stuff? At any store (like Walgreens, CVS, Apex)?????

    I'm very interested in this

    opps I should read more..lol....you stated where you can buy it...so just read over my post..

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
    Christine88
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Christine88's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: CA
    Posts: 13
    Christine88 HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    I've never heard of these before- is this product new? I might try it out, unfortunaley, I bought more facewash today...Thanks for your help though!

     
    Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #12
    soupyhead
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    soupyhead's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Posts: 141
    soupyhead HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Hibiclens should not be used for repeated general skin cleansing of large body areas...

    looked it up on ebay

     
    Old 07-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #13
    ihatethis
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    ihatethis's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 161
    ihatethis HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    also, can you buy it in the UK? i can't find it on the internet...

     
    Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #14
    JanetinHouston
    Senior Member
     
    JanetinHouston's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 136
    JanetinHouston HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Actually, Soupy is right. Anyone that wants to use this as part of their daily facial regimine should at least consult their derm or physician.

    I started using hibiclens about 15 years ago when I had folliculitus on my arms, so I am familiar with the product. It is a great fighter against bacteria and I keep it on hand for when I see a bump on my arm, so I could see how it would also fight the bacteria that causes acne.

     
    Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 AM   #15
    ecartman
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    ecartman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 13
    ecartman HB User
    Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

    Okay, I just called my pharmacist and asked him if it's okay to wash my face with hibiclens 2 times per day for acne and he said it's completely fine. If any of you have a concern about using it as a facial cleanser, call your pharmacist and ask.

    Last edited by ecartman; 07-15-2005 at 09:31 AM.

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!