It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane the only way?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2005, 02:33 AM   #1
    painball4life
    (male)

painball4life HB User
    Accutane the only way?

I have tried so many different things, proactiv, antibiotics, different types of tropicals, and none have worked. Is accutane the only way? and does accutane always work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
    determinedtowin
    (male)

determinedtowin HB User
    Re: Accutane the only way?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by painball4life
    I have tried so many different things, proactiv, antibiotics, different types of tropicals, and none have worked. Is accutane the only way? and does accutane always work?
    I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING to get rid of my acne from when I was 17 until now (21). I had the chance of Accutane when I was 19 but declined becuse of the side effects and to be honest I have never let acne rule my life. I am now 21 and I am on the 4th month of Accutane (2 months of 40 m/g and 2 months of 80 m/g. I am 95% clear. My back was covered in red marks which alot have turned white and look 1000 times better! I wish I'd never let the side effects worry me as I've had none apart from dryness! I have my 3rd appointment on Tuesday and I hope he doesn't take me off Accutane just yet as I think I will be 100% clear with a couple of more months!

Last edited by determinedtowin; 07-20-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

according to my derm's experience accutane always works, it just takes some people more time than others. i've heard from folks on this board, however that it hasn't worked for. it did work for me. i am 100% clear, although i still have a lot of the red marks from the initial breakout, which, for me, was quite severe. 15 days left to go! here's hoping it sticks!

good luck pb4l! ali

Last edited by arock; 07-20-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
    rpav
    (male)

rpav HB User

This stuff is good news to me. I am 23 years old and have tried over 5 years of 3 or 4 different antibiotics and many prescription topicals and several store bought stuff and nothing has really took down my acne, which has been controlled some by vitamins and minerals for me. But my back is still somewhat bad and my face breaks out in cycles constantly.
    Anyways, I have been looking at accutane for 2 years now and have the go ahead starting September (when I can get back on insurance) to start. I've kept getting scared of the side effects off and on and can't really decide if I want to use accutane (or possibly the generic amnesteem).
    I was reading on some online journal where many people posted (googles it) and a lot of people were complaining of their acne getting worse (not just from initial breakout), but from after the course was done. This scared me some, but when I come on here, most people say it was well worth it.
    I still have a month to decide though, but we'll see how my acne does till then.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
    determinedtowin
    (male)

determinedtowin HB User

rpav, don't wait and see what happens because I did that and it drags on and on. Get the Roaccutane, the side effects are not life threatning even if you do get them which I haven't

Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
    mamy1
    (female)

mamy1 HB User

what is the difference and do you have to request a different prescription if say your doctor has said that he would give you accutane? I looked up roaccutane and it is isotretion or however you spell that which I thought was the same as accutane? help= thanks!

Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User

Accutane is the same as Isotretinoin. One is a medical name and the other is some other type of other name. I'm not sure what Roaccutane is. Accutane doesn't work for everyone...at least in the long-run. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not having short-run success. Long-run success is a different story. I forget the actual % of people who have relapse of acne. I've used it 5 times. My acne cleared up 100% each time. However, my acne has come back 100% of the time. So, I would tell anyone to consider Accutane. Because when your face is 100% clear, you feel amazing.

Last edited by Andrew29; 07-21-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
    latoya88
    (female)

latoya88 HB User
    Smile Re: Accutane the only way?

I'm 24 and I've had acne since I was 12. I get a little of everything (cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, the scars) and I hate it. I never tried accutane because the side effects scare me. For a while I was on the topical medication called benzyclin to kill the bacteria in my face during the day and then I would use the differin at night. When I first use the combo it cleared my face completely up 100%. But then like most acne medication it reaches a plateau and doesn't work like it used to. It did keep my face presentable for years. I decided to stop using it about 3 months ago because the benzyclin started causing me health problems. It's an antibiotic and unfortunately when you stop using an antibiotic your problem gets ten times worse. My acne exploded. So I decided to try Proactive. I used it for 2.5 months. No results. My acne got worse. That stuff is truly overrated!!!Anyway my cousin suffers from ance too and when i visited her a couple months ago her acne was all cleared up i mean 200%. She told me she ordered this stuff off hsn.com call Continously Clear. Has anyone heard of it??? It's a 3-step system as well, like Proactive. I ordered it last week. I've been using it for 3 days now and my skin has already started to clear up. What Proactiv couldn't do in 2 months this stuff has done in 3 days. There's no toner, just the wash, the repairing solution that's not lotion but something else, and also moturizing lotion. The repairing solution is a really strong medication. I will keep you posted....Let's just hang in there guys. Hopefully there will be a cure soon

Old 07-22-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latoya88
    Hopefully there will be a cure soon
    There is never going to be a cure... no money there. Money is on the comeback (i.e. constant rebuying of products). Anyways, a topic of discussion for another time.

Closed Thread