It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #406
    tata77
    Member
    (male)
     
    tata77's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 73
    tata77 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    EV is a girl haha. or I should say lady.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-11-2006, 06:15 AM   #407
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hi guys,

    First, let's set the record straight: I'm a (22 year-old) guy! Maybe you were deceived by my choice of colour scheme, tata77! How's it going, by the way?

    Hello, Abbath Primadophilus doesn't contain the same culture of probiotics as Yakult, but the general concensus on this thread has so far been that any probiotic will aid the cleansing process and promote a healthier digestive system. I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics!

    Hi there, acnefreedom7 Thanks for your advice. The temptation for me has been to inform people of the potential benefits to this regimen and to turn a blind eye to any potential negative aspects. I haven't fully researched the nature of Activated Charcoal in terms of what it absorbs, but I suppose it is equally likely to absorb nutrients as it is to absorb toxins. In light of this, my advice to people would be to consume a regular high quantity of nutrient-rich foods, principally vegetables. I am lucky that I actually like vegetables, but even if you don't, I recommend that everyone gets their five portions of fruit or vegetables a day. Your skin will thank you for it!

    Hello again, vintagedream! Don't worry, I will check these boards regularly to see what's going on Okay, if you're constipated then you should probably feel optimistic with respect to your skin about the prospect of a cleanse. The theory goes that if there's a build up of waste in your system then it is manifesting its effects on your skin. It sounds unlikely that your acne is primarily hormonal since it has only really affected you in the last couple of years into your twenties. So take heart and have some confidence. I do fully appreciate your plight, believe me. Us blokes get hung up about our appearance, too, you know!

    You're absolutely correct about topical solutions: they are only short-term. Acne is partly caused by bacteria, yes, and when you attack that bacteria with anti-biotics (in the form of creams or pills), it will cease to cause acne for a while. But eventually it develops an immunity to the anti-biotic and returns with a vengeance I wish doctors would recognise this instead of handing out anti-biotics to acne sufferers like sweets, because they cause more harm than good in the long run. That's not to say that regular use of a gentle cleanser, toner and moisturiser should be forgone (thankfully girls seem to realise this already!). Keeping the pores clean on the outside is definitely part of the battle.

    Regarding the initial breakout, I really wouldn't worry too much. You'll only be eliminating toxins that would have to be removed at some point anyway. What the clease achieves is to level the playing field for your digestive system, aiding its function of removing toxins. So there will most likely be some new acne as a result of the cleanse but it's worth it in the long term and it won't be horrendous. Some people on here didn't experience it at all. I make any promises, basically. But good luck

    Many thanks for the update, Anonym0us! I'm so glad it's still going well for you. I don't expect plaudits for accidentally coming across a regimen that has helped me, but it makes me feel great to know that I have helped others. It makes me feel that the seven years I battled with acne weren't suffered in vain.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

    Last edited by ErimusValidus; 01-11-2006 at 06:15 AM.

     
    Old 01-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #408
    vintagedream
    Member
    (female)
     
    vintagedream's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 78
    vintagedream HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErimusValidus
    That's not to say that regular use of a gentle cleanser, toner and moisturiser should be forgone (thankfully girls seem to realise this already!). Keeping the pores clean on the outside is definitely part of the battle.
    i do know this, and i'm currently in search for a gentle cleanser, and toner. i don't really like the sound of a moisturiser since my skin is so oily already... putting moisturizer feels like i'm just adding more oil.

    i haven't read the rules of posting here... but if it's allowed, can i just ask for suggestions or what do you use on your face externally EV? if it's not allowed to ask questions like that here, just don't answer.

    ...anyway, just clarifications...

    i start the whole process by a 3-day fast, right? and then on the fourth day, can i eat again?

    exactly how long (days, weeks) do i have to take the psyllium husks and activated charcoal? i hear you could develop dependencies on this stuff. when do i stop taking them?

    yakult poses no problems, since i love the product and have been using it ever since i was a kid.

    also... a doctor once told me, that when you don't eat anything, chances are, you won't have anything to eliminate too... meaning you won't have bowel movements at all when you fast... and i was hoping cleansing my system would promote regularity in my bowel movements. just clarify this a little for me pls. thanks!

    i'll look forward to your reply EV. take care!

     
    Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #409
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hiya, vintagedream. I see from your other post that you are quite concerned about cleansers. Firstly, can you tell me where you're from? I'm from the UK and I use the Simple range of cleanser, toner and moisturiser which I have always found to be very mild and gentle. Regarding the oiliness of your skin, hopefully it will become less oily on this regimen. And you should apply moisturiser even though your skin is oily. If you use a toner as an astringant and pat your skin dry, it should be ready to have moisturiser applied. You may find that the oiliness is your skin's reaction to not receiving enough moisture from the outside.

    Regarding the rest of my skincare routine, in the morning I exfoliate with Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash which is a gentle exfoliant to give that feeling of removing any grease and dirt from the pores. Every four days or so I apply a mud-based face mask (with tea tree extract) for about forty minutes to an hour to tighten the skin and remove any deep-buried impurities. The one I use leaves my skin feeling lovely and it's Superdrug's own brand. There's not much more to it than that. I've stopped applying harsh products to my face because they cause more harm than good!

    Concerning the fast, I only suggest 24 hours, accompanied by taking double the dosage of supplements, as outlined on the first post of this thread. That should allow your system to purge itself of the initial backlog of waste that's causing problems. Then you can carry on taking the normal dosage for as long as you feel necessary. I've cut back to half nowadays but I suspect that I might as well cease taking them at all because I have no active acne. To be honest, I had got to that stage by the six month mark easily (and it took a lot less to get to 80% better), but I am paranoid that if I suddenly stop the regimen, it will all come crashing down. I don't think that would really be the case, though.

    Some people have suggested that you can become dependent on this extra fibre to promote regular bowel movements. But I don't think, with the quantities used in this regimen, that it is particularly likely. These supplements aren't intended to make your bowel movements more regular, per se, but rather they should promote a cleaner bowel function.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 01-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #410
    vintagedream
    Member
    (female)
     
    vintagedream's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 78
    vintagedream HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    hi EV! i'm from the Philippines. it's a very hot country.

    anyway... thanks for replying so soon...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErimusValidus
    Regarding the rest of my skincare routine, in the morning I exfoliate with Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash which is a gentle exfoliant to give that feeling of removing any grease and dirt from the pores.
    I've researched on Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash, and i found it has the following ingredients:

    Aqua, propylene Glycol, Sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, polyethylene, disodium lauroamphodiacetate, hamamelis virginiana, lauryl methyl gluceth - 10 hydroxypropyl-dimonium chloride, farnesol, glycol distearate, glycerin, laureth-4, sodium carbomer, tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-120 methyl glucose dioleate, parfum, lactic acid....

    Studies have shown that propylene glycol and sodium laureth sulfate, are toxic... and these are poisons that can get into your body. but hey, if it works for you... you're lucky.

    As for me, i really want to find a natural mild cleanser, that would clean my face and not cause me to breakout. i'm currently using Aubrey Organic's Natural Herbal Facial Cleanser and Astringent, but i've only been using it for 5 days, so i can't say for sure yet how it's going to help me.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErimusValidus
    Concerning the fast, I only suggest 24 hours, accompanied by taking double the dosage of supplements, as outlined on the first post of this thread. That should allow your system to purge itself of the initial backlog of waste that's causing problems.
    can i eat apples on the first day? on the 2nd day, i can go back to eating normally again?

    uhm, EV... can you personally assure me that if i take on this regimen, it won't actually make my acne worse and beyond control? that's just what i'm really afraid of right now... sorry, am i too apprehensive?

    take care...

    P.S.
    how did you get rid of the existing red marks from acne that healed?

    Last edited by vintagedream; 01-12-2006 at 11:11 PM.

     
    Old 01-15-2006, 03:58 AM   #411
    vintagedream
    Member
    (female)
     
    vintagedream's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 78
    vintagedream HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    looks like EV's been too busy nowadays...

     
    Old 01-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #412
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vintagedream
    looks like EV's been too busy nowadays...
    Hiya, vintagedream, sorry to take a while to reply! Personal problems

    If you want my opinion on certain products that are said to be toxic, don't pay too much attention. Sure, some of the ingredients might be toxic in high quantities but consider how little you apply to you face. And then consider how little of that will actually penetrate your dermis. Trace to nothing, that's how little! I use an exfoliant to slough off the top layer of dead skin. We produce dead skin cells all the time so it is important to remove them on a daily basis. Using man-made ingredients is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

    Regarding the fast, if you want to eat a couple of apples to prevent stomach cramps then go ahead. Just don't fill yourself with stodgy carbohydrate like bread! I'm afraid I can't make any personal assurances. You've got to take a leap of faith. If you are truly affected by your acne you will be brave and take that step

    Now, concerning red marks... I am apprehensive to tell you how I've dealt with them because you still have active acne. I have been applying Glycolic Acid (30% concentration) twice a week for four months now and it has helped to fade red marks, reduce lines and wrinkles and decrease pore size. Honestly, I think it's a miracle. But if you apply such a drying solution to your face it is extremely important to temper its effects with a quality moisturiser. Don't be afraid to moisturise. As I said before, if we don't use enough moisturiser, the pores react by producing excessive amounts of sebum which is one cause of acne.

    I recommend that you get on top of your active acne before worrying too much about how to deal with red marks. But have faith - anything is possible!
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

    Last edited by ErimusValidus; 01-15-2006 at 11:35 AM.

     
    Old 01-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #413
    vintagedream
    Member
    (female)
     
    vintagedream's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 78
    vintagedream HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    hi EV! just a few questions...
    how was your acne like before you took on this regimen?
    do you like, breakout almost every day or so?
    and do you still breakout now?
    would a marine mud mask be okay, even if you have active acne? they do
    absorb oils and impurities, ryt?

    a couple more questions about the fast...
    after the initial 24-hours fast, on the second day, can i eat normally again?
    and how terrible exactly is the intial breakout phase?
    also , i hear psyllium husks are insoluble fiber... doesn't it irritate the stomach lining or something? i thought we should be ingesting soluble fiber more than insoluble fiber?
    just want your opinion...

    thanks! and hope your personal problems are going fine.

    Last edited by vintagedream; 01-15-2006 at 03:42 PM.

     
    Old 01-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #414
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hello vintagedream, I hope you're doing okay

    My acne used to consist of painful cysts mostly on my forehead, chin, jawline and neck, but sometimes my cheeks and nose, too. I also used to have blackheads on my nose and forehead. I used to get a new cyst every two-three days on average. Sometimes they weren't so bad but sometimes they were incredibly stubborn. I still have the evidence of some of those (But, like I told you, the Glycolic Acid is working miracles!)

    I do still get spots occasionally but I wouldn't consider myself to have acne. I just get them when I get lazy about my skincare routine, have too many late nights, or drink too much alcohol/eat an excessive amount of junk food - basically the kind of things that cause everyone to get spots. My boss who's in his late thirties has this problem right now because he's worked way to hard. He was fresh-faced before he joined the company.

    I'm sure a mud mask will be fine for your skin. You are correct that it will absorb oil and impurities. Just don't leave it on for too long (an hour at the most). Concerning the fast, yes you can eat normally afterwards. Pysllium Husk is a form of soluble or dietary fibre, hence it absorbs toxins. Your stomach will thank you for it! As you say, you should consume a good amount of dietary fibre to remain "regular"

    Hmm, personal problems... as me again on Saturday morning!
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 01-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #415
    vintagedream
    Member
    (female)
     
    vintagedream's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 78
    vintagedream HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    hi EV!
    just a quick question about activated charcoal...
    a lot of people are concerned about it absorbing essential nutrients along with the toxins in the body... so in other words, taking this will rob my body of the nutrients that i need?

    also, i did some fasting last month (i only ate bananas and small amounts of fish throughout the day), and i drank lots of water. but it didn't help my acne at all. i thought fasting would do the trick. but i guess i lacked the toxin-absorbing medium to flush everything out, huh? just wanna know what you think.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErimusValidus

    Hmm, personal problems... as me again on Saturday morning!
    so, it's saturday morning? how did your personal problems turn out?
    hope it turned out good. take care!

     
    Old 01-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #416
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hey vintagedream It's still Friday evening for me for ten more minutes! And it doesn't look like my personal, i.e. girl, problems are going to be solved by morning

    Anyway... yeah, there is concern that you will be depleting your body of nutrients whilst attempting to absorb toxins. The truth is, I can't quantify to what extent this occurs and I can only suggest that you ensure that you consume sufficient sources of nutrients to compensate for this.

    Concerning your fast - when I first made the link between diet and acne I tried fasting. I went without food for three days and I was elated with the positive results evident on my face. All active acne cleared up by the third day as though it had simply been switched it off. Great! Except that I had to eat by day four.

    Next I realised that carbohydrate was the biggest cause of new acne and tried cutting back on all sources. But it was too difficult with the active lifestyle that I lead. I was depressed that I knew how to control my acne but that I didn't have the willpower to succeed down that avenue.

    It was only when I purged my system of the junk that had accumulated down the years that I realised my goal: I could eat what I liked (within reason) and there were no longer any immediate side-effects on my skin. The point is, until you get that backlog of rubbish out of your system, it is fighting an uphill battle to burn off the fuel that you feed it in a clean manner.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 01-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #417
    han23
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    han23's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 1
    han23 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    hi there,

    i stumbled upon this site by accident, but i have been keenly following it ever since. I have read all 84 pages......

    i am a 23 year old male with acne (mainly around the lower portion of my cheeks) and I have a high (or rather very high) metabolism rate.

    I have been suffering from acne since 15 ratherly mildly at first. it improved considerably around 19-21 with tetracycline and the usual topical creams from my dermatologist. however it has recently worsened, leaving me in much anguish and desperation to find a cure for it!

    I am keen to try this regime, cos i too feel that any natural remedy is definitely better than popping antibiotics. however i have a few questions to ask to EV or to whoever is kind enough to reply:

    1. the PH i found is in capsule form from Holland & Barrett. The instructions say that it must be taken with a full glass of water for it might choke the osephagus. Has this posed any problems to any of you that have taken this pill?

    2. during my recent trip to my dermatologist i was given another different batch of antibiotics (not accutane), and i have been taking them for the last 3 weeks. Can i take this together with this regime, or should i only try this after i have finished my course of antibiotics?

    I am really quite excited to try this natural remedy for i think it all makes sense! I feel inspired to try this new treatment after reading the good outcome from some of you, and i do wanna give this a go.

    Nonetheless, EV i think you are doing a tremendous job in forming a support group for fellow acne sufferers, and for being so generous in your advice.

    I hope to hear from some of you soon!

     
    Old 01-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #418
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hey, han23 I'm glad you've stumbled across something to give you fresh hope. Sometimes I worry that I am giving people false hope because the success rate is not as high as I would have hoped. But if I only help a handful of people then it's still got to be worth it! And with your high metabolic rate, sex, and age (making it unlikely that you are suffering from predominantly hormonal acne), it does sound like you might respond to this treatment. I wish you the very best of luck as I do with everyone!

    The Psyllium Husks I take is also the Holland & Barrett brand. I've never noticed the warnings, but now you mention it I do see them. Personally, I've never experienced any discomfort in my throat from ingesting this extra fibre. However, I am a big water drinker. I think the warning is a precautionary measure taken by the company, more than anything. Psyllium expands up to fifty times its dry volume upon contact with fluid. Hence, if you didn't swallow it properly I suppose it could swell up on contact with your saliva and block your throat. But it sounds very unlikely.

    Regarding the anti-biotics, you might as well continue to take them. As they are your third course you might notice that they are less effective than the previous two (since the bacteria will have grown more immune to the antibodies) but they should still help. Beating acne is all about breaking the cycle. So anything that alleviates the relentless march of new acne will be beneficial to you and give things a kick-start. However, I would recommend that you take the anti-biotics separately (by several hours) from the supplements in this regimen in case they are absorbed by the Activated Charcoal.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 01-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #419
    vintagedream
    Member
    (female)
     
    vintagedream's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 78
    vintagedream HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    EV, do you have any experience with enemas? they're supposed to be really useful and will aid in digestive cleansing.

    also, is activated charcoal safe? and will it not absorb the fibers that you're taking (since you're taking the psyllium husks together with it)?

    at least it's easier to tackle girl problems (in my case, guy problems ) when you're not worried about acne at the same time. LOL. am i correct?

     
    Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #420
    stasia12
    Veteran
     
    stasia12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: Mass, NY USA
    Posts: 308
    stasia12 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    3) Yes, I chose Activated Charcoal simply because I couldn't find and Bentonite Clay in my health store. In fact, the latter is considered preferable for this process. However, I know that the former works, so I'd stick to that



    I recently purchased the "whole body cleanse" by enzymatic therapy and it says on the back of the box that bentotite clay is NOT preferable as it can drain your body of important minerals and sometimes contains lead.
    __________________
    toodles-beth

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!