It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Probiotics with Antibiotics...Is Yogurt Enough??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    Probiotics with Antibiotics...Is Yogurt Enough??

I've heard a lot of talk about probiotics in cunjunction with antibiotic use. Will eating a cup of yogurt daily provide enough "good bacteria", or should I be taking a supplement too? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
    health15
    (female)

health15 HB User
    Re: Probiotics with Antibiotics...Is Yogurt Enough??

I think it depends on your body and how long you have been taking antibiotics. I think yogurt is fine when prescribed antibiotics for 2 weeks, but the course of treatment for acne is usually really long. So, I bet probiotics would be helpful. I sure sign that your body doesn't have enough of the "good bacteria" is if you get a yeast infection (if you are a woman).

I would take them if I were you. I took a lot of antibiotics for acne when I was in my 20ies (for years!) and wish I knew about probiotics then. Not having enough good bacteria can have an effect on the colon and liver. I often wonder if my fatigue, headaches, eczema, acne, frequent yeast infections, and allergies have anything to do with my liver needing a good detox. I haven't taken antibiotics for acne in over 10 years. I just recently started taking probiotics. Oh, If you are looking to buy probiotics and live in the US, I got mine at Trader Joes. Also, check out the thread on colon cleanse. They discuss probiotics a lot there.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by health15
    I think it depends on your body and how long you have been taking antibiotics. I think yogurt is fine when prescribed antibiotics for 2 weeks, but the course of treatment for acne is usually really long. So, I bet probiotics would be helpful. I sure sign that your body doesn't have enough of the "good bacteria" is if you get a yeast infection (if you are a woman).

I would take them if I were you. I took a lot of antibiotics for acne when I was in my 20ies (for years!) and wish I knew about probiotics then. Not having enough good bacteria can have an effect on the colon and liver. I often wonder if my fatigue, headaches, eczema, acne, frequent yeast infections, and allergies have anything to do with my liver needing a good detox. I haven't taken antibiotics for acne in over 10 years. I just recently started taking probiotics. Oh, If you are looking to buy probiotics and live in the US, I got mine at Trader Joes. Also, check out the thread on colon cleanse. They discuss probiotics a lot there.
    thanks for the reply I've been taking doxy for a little over a year. I just halved my dosage, and will go off it completely if my acne doesn't get a lot worse. What are the probiotics called at Trader Joes? Just "probiotics"? thanks!

Old 08-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
    health15
    (female)

health15 HB User

They are in a white bottle with a blue label and it just says Probiotic dietary supplement. It has lactobacillus acidophilus 2 billion cfu and bifidobacterium lactis 2 billion cfu.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I have been on Doxy for about 5 months and I try to eat yogurt every day. I haven't been getting any yeast infections ever since I started doing this so I think it is really good to eat alot of yogurt. But I think yogurt is GROSS so I kinda force myself to eat it. haha.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
    omega47
    (male)

omega47 HB User

i brake out more when i drink milk, eat cheese. i do not know why. any1 know?

Closed Thread