It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• So I started Accutane a month ago... Lots of Questions Plz help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
    LynX21
    Inactive
    (male)

LynX21 HB User
    So I started Accutane a month ago... Lots of Questions Plz help...

Basically I started Accutane a month ago. I started it on 40 mg( I'm 19) and it sucks to have acne when I just started college. Anyways I got it about a year and a half ago 2 years ago and progresively got worse. Proactiv didn't work and benzaclin and adoxa also didn't. Anyways back to the story. I started Accutane a month ago I stopped washing my face except letting water run on it when I am in the shower. I am not sure if I am supposed to use creams or moisturizers (if so plz recomend)
    I have bad acne and it looks okay sometimes and worse others and better/worse in different lights. Anyways I only was able to start a month ago becaus eI had high cholesterol and had to lower it so it's been a long time fight to get the accutane. Now I am on it and just am switching over to 60 mgs a day.
    It's weird at first it didn't feel itchy when I started now it is getting very red and seems to be worse. My face seems to be much worse now and irritated but I am hearing from lots of other posts that its normal and will progressively get better (and sometimes all of a sudden . Now I have been on it for 34 days. I tried washing my face but its too dried out so I dont. Another question I swim a lot and am not sure if it is good for me to go into the pool and expose my face to prolonged exposure of the water.
    Also my dermatologist gave me 60 mgs a day (1 40 and 1 20 mg cap) And I am unsure of whether or not to take them all at same time or to do one in morning and one in evening. Basically I took them separate a couple days and now am taking all together because I called and the nurse said it didnt matter it just matters that u take it and u do it during the day and doesn't matter when.
    Anyways 34 days and its worse I really want to get it better soon because it's hard to shave. I have some post acne marks and a couple of the worse ones seem to start to fade but the overal face now is seeming to be very red and its weird cuz at first it got better it seemed and now its just getting worse and on the forehead even though I dont normally get them there.
    Anyways I hope you guys can respond to my thread and i really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
    Revis311
    (male)

Revis311 HB User
    Re: So I started Accutane a month ago... Lots of Questions Plz help...

you should still wash your face once a day, you should use lotion-not cream, proalonged exposure to chlorine, not water will irratate that heck outta your skin and especially ur face

Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

You should be aware that for most acne products you use ,your face will usually get worse before it gets better.Thats because you have acne under the skin that has not yet made an appearance .Most products force the acne underneath the skin to the surface.Accutane shrinks the oil glands and stops them from over producing oil.34 days is way to early to be worried about wether accutane is working or not.It can sometimes take up to a full course before you notice any difference.Try and be patient,and remember when you have to be in the sun use use heavy duty sunscreen.Take care

Old 08-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
    nicnac8383
    (female)

nicnac8383 HB User

hang in there- i cleared up after my second month and now im on my third and only have red marks and scars left- its just one thing after another wiht this acne mess!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
    LynX21
    Inactive
    (male)

LynX21 HB User

The only time I wash my face is when I let water in the shower hit my face. I see what you sayh about the chlorine it makes a lot of sense. Okay but I tried to use a face wash and my skinw as true dry to even move my hands around I am not doing tha tagain. The doctor didnt say anything about lotions or moisturizers, are they really necessary, I'm not sure they are...

Closed Thread