It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Lush products, Neem oil and Magnoplasm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
    DDC21
    (female)

DDC21 HB User
    Lush products, Neem oil and Magnoplasm

Hello all. Long time reader, first-time poster.

I have had acne for about 12 years now (I'm 23) and thought I'd share a few things that keep it in check:

Five years ago I went for broke and started using a cleanser bar from Lush called Fresh Farmacy. It's packed with all sorts of yummy stuff like calamine, chamomile and elderflower. As soon as I started using it, I noticed a huge difference. My skin was nowhere near as red and it got rid of a lot of the flakiness on my nose. My mother (age 51) also swears by this soap to help soothe her severe rosacea and my husband loves to use this as a shaving soap and to keep his sebhorroic dermatitis in check. One 120g bar lasts me about 4 months.

Lush also make a really great shower smoothie (a cross between shower gel and soap) called Dreamwash which is similar to Fresh Farmacy, but a little more potent. Great for chest acne and backne. Their stuff is a little bit pricier than the old Johnson & Johnson, but I've found it to be well worth the additional cost.

As for Neem oil: I haven't seen it discussed here, and thought it warranted a mention. My acne tends to get really nasty and scabby (no thanks to my compulsive picking - gotta watch that!), but I have found that applying a bit to acne and covering it overnight with a sticking-plaster dramatically speeds up healing. And although this stuff is an oil, I've found it's the only moisturiser that keeps my oily face in check. Neem oil is available at Indian supermarkets (and some health food stores may sell it).

Last but not least: In the past couple of months, I have discovered Magnoplasm is really useful for breaking down small to medium-sized cysts. It's a drawing agent (containing magnesium sulfate-glycerol) which is used to treat boils and to remove difficult-to-grab splinters. Put a thick coating on cysts, cover with a band-aid and leave overnight. Repeat for a couple of days and you will find that nasty, itchy, swollen lumps will just about disappear (or at the very least become bearable).

Hope someone finds these hints useful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
    Skylo

Skylo HB User
    Re: Lush products, Neem oil and Magnoplasm

so its a soap??? and it brings redness down thts wat i really need, i cant stand the red ness can u plz give a link or any stores i can buy it at??

Old 08-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
    jazmella
    (female)

jazmella HB User

Hmm. The thing is, though, that it (Fresh Farmacy) contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate...That's one thing I'm staying away from.

Last edited by jazmella; 08-14-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
    DDC21
    (female)

DDC21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skylo
    so its a soap??? and it brings redness down thts wat i really need, i cant stand the red ness can u plz give a link or any stores i can buy it at??
    Yes, it's a soap. Retails for AU$12.95/100g or CA$7.75/100g. Lush stores are in many countries (UK, Canada, NZ, Australia, but not the US). People from the US should be able to buy from their online store. Just do a web search and you'll find them easily enough (I'd give you a direct link, but board rules...you know.)

As for the SLS issue: if you're avoiding this particular substance, then pretty much any commercially-available cleanser isn't suitable. All I know is that Fresh Farmacy has made my skin a whole lot more manageable over the past few years.

Closed Thread