It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• For Those Who Use Retin-a/tretinoin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
    jamilcp
    (female)

jamilcp HB User
    For Those Who Use Retin-a/tretinoin

I Just Thought I Would Share Some Information About Retin-a For Those Of You Using It. I Used Tretinoin (retin-a) A Few Years Ago With No Luck Whatsoever. It Only Made My Face Turn Red And Peel But The Acne Never Cleared Up. Well I Have Recently Found Out That If You Are Using Retin-a That Is In A Cream Base (what I Was Using) (vs. A Gel Base) Then Chances Are It Contains Isopropyl Myristate. This Is An Extremely Irritating Ingredient To The Skin And Could Quite Possibly Be Why The Retin-a Doesn't Work. I Believe If You Use A Gel Based Retin-a It Is Ok But Just A Thought That If You Are Using It Check Your Ingredients For Isopropyl Myristate And Stop Using If It Has That Ingredient. It Will Counteract Any Good The Vitamin A Does.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    Re: For Those Who Use Retin-a/tretinoin

My generic retin-a cream (avita) has that ingredient and my face is doing great. I've been using it for about 13 months and I'm 99% clear. Perhaps you didn't use the retin-a long enough to reap the benefits (it took me about 3-4 months before my face started improving).

Old 08-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
    health15
    (female)

health15 HB User

I am using retin-a micro and it does not have that ingredient in it. Today is the first day that i had any reddness because i just increased my applications to every other night. It is actually working very well.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
    almostclear7
    (male)

almostclear7 HB User

I wish I wouldn't have stopped using it after six months the way I did. (the cream) I started using it again a few months ago (I've been seeing a dermatologist and using tretinoin cream for about the same amount of time) and my face started clearing up. I no longer have much redness at all, but she changed my cream to a gel to stop the oiliness I had. I broke out the first two days on the tretinoin gel. She also had me on clindamycin(sp) phosphate gel for the day time, but changed that as well. I don't know why she did because looking at pictures from last year to a few weeks ago that I took on my digital camera there is no comparison. My face is all but clear with the exception of a few zits on the inner left and right cheeks. There are slight scars only noticeable in the right light and you'd have to be right inches from my face to notice them. She also changed this and added a sulfur mask called Plexion SCT. Needless to say I'm going back to my old regimen. Started back today. I'd rather have slightly oily skin and have a good chance at 3 more months of progress than have a setback like the one I probably was being set up for.

I like the tretinoin cream vs. the gel. I didn't really experience much breaking out with the cream initially. I had a lot oil and redness though.

One quick question though...would it be dumb to put on the tretinoin gel when i go out for a drink or a party since it didn't appear to cause redness or oiliness? I'm thinking it would be a mistake to do it because I'd just switch back the next day to the cream. Don't know what to do.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User

try differin gel

Closed Thread