HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   Smoothbeam Laser.....I did it!! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/3187-smoothbeam-laser-i-did.html)

slick32 05-17-2003 06:33 PM

More info:

Great news for those seeking lasting relief from breakouts without side effects.
According to studies at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the University of California, San Diego, the same new lasers being used to tone sagging skin can curb overactive oil-producing glands, preventing acne flare-ups. Two of these lasers, the Clearlight and the SmoothBeam, were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in late 2002 to treat acne. "They bypass the epidermis and shrink the specific glands that cause overproduction of oil, which leads to acne," says Harold Brody, M.D., professor of dermatology at Emory University and communications director for the American Academy of Dermatology. "This is a real change from the old pulsed-light treatments that destroyed acne-causing bacteria but did nothing to control oil production." Because the improved technology targets the deeper layers of skin, there is no oozing, redness, or recovery time, nor is there any of the dryness, itching, flaking, or increased light sensitivity associated with most topical remedies (such as lotions and creams). Early research shows that a series of three to six sessions spaced over the course of a month or two typically keeps acne sufferers blemish-free for years (exactly how many years is yet to be determined, though). "But these treatments are being looked at as having the potential to be a permanent or nearly permanent solution to breakouts," Brody says.

GirlGirl 05-17-2003 06:50 PM

Thanks Slick!! THis Smoothbeam is so exciting! I really feel that this will finally curb my oily skin and hopefully unclog most of my pores.

Keep us posted on your progress please!!

Hmmm, maybe next time I will pop a vicodin...!

slick32 05-17-2003 06:57 PM

I'm just happy that there is another alternative to treating this horrible disease. I've been on accutane 3 times and everytime my acne came back. The nice thing about this is that there is no long term risk of harming your organs. I only wish this technology was around 15 years ago.

GirlGirl 05-17-2003 07:02 PM

Well, we get to smooth out some of those wrinkles too! Smoothbeam NEEDS to be covered by insurance.

I think from your post that you are doing 4 week treatments? I will be going every three weeks and I think she will increase the intensity each time.

slick32 05-17-2003 07:06 PM

Girlgirl, yes I'm going in every 3 to 4 weeks. I wanted to go in after 3 weeks, but I'll be out of town next week so I had to wait an extra week this time. I think I'll have them bump it up to an 11 next time and then depending on the reaction, 12 and then 13 the last time. Depending on how I look after 4 treatments, I'm thinking about doing a maintenance session every 6 months or so.

GirlGirl 05-19-2003 09:25 AM

Just wanted to bump this because it may help others...

Tummy 05-19-2003 09:32 AM

It's great news, but I know SmoothBeam is just starting to get popular. Its not going to be in most towns, but major cities. It's a little expensive and needs to be covered by insurance. If insurance covers Accutane which can cost over $900 a box/month then they should consider treatments like this. Will be a great day when that happens.

GirlGirl 05-19-2003 09:38 AM

And now I have heard of another laser treatment called "N-lite". I don't know much about it but it also will shrink sebaceous glands and help with scarring without melting off your top layer of skin (like those other lasers do)

*Angela* 05-20-2003 10:19 AM

Sounds very promising. Please keep us updated with your progress! :)

omega47 10-01-2005 09:08 AM

Re: Smoothbeam Laser.....I did it!!

this laser treatment was very painful even with the anestetic cream. i had tears in my eyes thats how painful it was.