It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Smoothbeam Laser.....I did it!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
    GirlGirl

GirlGirl HB User
    Post Smoothbeam Laser.....I did it!!

Ok, I just had my first treatment today...I know I said in other posts that I would wait to see what Tazorac will do for me. BUt then I was thinking....why wait. If it doesn't work, it will get rid of my wrinkles and scarring that I have from acne.

It didn't hurt at all -as long as you put on the topical ansthetic you will be fine. Right now my face looks and feels sunburned-just like getting microdermabrasion done. I will go back in 3 weeks and then 2 more treatments after that. I won't be able to see the full results for a few months. Remember, this is NON-ablative-it zaps the dermis layer so your top layers are unaffected. So, you have to wait until that new skin layer grows and reaches the surface which takes at least a month. She told me that I might have to do one maintenance treatment every 6 to 12 months or not at all. It depends on the individual and how your skin reacts.
    I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
    mouseee

mouseee HB User
    how much did it cost you?

Old 05-16-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
    GirlGirl

GirlGirl HB User
    The Laser center was running a special-50% off of four treatments. So, normally, to do 4 treatments of the whole face, it costs 2000. I paid only 1000. I know some people can get it less expensive but at the same time, I am also paying for someone who is very experienced-she has been doing laser treatments for a long time. And, believe it or not, the cost of living in the Detroit Metro area is pretty high so services will be a bit more expensive. She was even go to zap my lips to plump them but I didn't think to put numbing cream on...I will do them the next three sessions. My main concern is to control the oil and I really think this will work. I will post about my progress but again, that will take a few months.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:12 AM   #4
    franann
    (female)

franann HB User
    I have had photo facial treatments done and I was wondering how similar to smoothbeam laser it is.
    I did not use numbing cream. The apparatus is put on a spot of your face and the technician "shoots" that spot. It feels like a rubber band sting. This process is continued on all parts of the face. One time, I had red stipes across the side of my face where it had been treated. Makeup didn't cover it that time. These treatments did make my skin look alot better. The cost was $300. for each treatment and I went 5 times. I went again about six months later for maintenance. That was six months ago and I feel that I need to go again. I wish the results would be permanent. Does this sound similar to what you did?

Old 05-16-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
    GirlGirl

GirlGirl HB User
    I don't think it is the same. Did the apparatus have the alternating blast of cryogen (super cold liquid)and then the zap? Also, did you have any effect on the top layer of your skin? Smoothbeam only targets the dermis layer-it is non-ablative but you will still get some erythema (this is the red/sunburn effect)My redness is gone and it was really no big deal. Makeup covered it up. And, without numbing, it hurts. I could feel it when she was doing my hairline area that didn't get as much (or none)of the numbing cream. There is NO WAY I would do a treatment without the topical anesthetic. Give your place a call and ask if it is the same thing...

Ok, I was just looking this up on line and it is different. PHotofacial is used to resolve redness and conditions like roseacea.

"An intense light is emitted in a series of gentle pulses over the entire face at intervals of approximately three weeks for a series of five treatments. This special light which is different than laser treatments emits light over many wavelengths allowing the light to penetrate to all the levels of the skin where abnormal easily dilated vessels can be found. Lasers produce only a single wavelength of light and are limited in depth of penetration and what they can treat"

[This message has been edited by GirlGirl (edited 05-16-2003).]

Old 05-16-2003, 11:16 AM   #6
    newgirl

newgirl HB User
    What exactly do you mean "zap my lips to plump them"?

Old 05-16-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
    GirlGirl

GirlGirl HB User
    The Smoothbeam laser not only affects sebaceous glands in your dermis, it also promotes collagen production. So, running the laser over the lips (which need to numbed up first with the topical anesthetic)will plump them a bit, but it won't be the same as getting injections. The Smoothbeam can take care of minor wrinkling around the eyes and mouth but can't do deep grooves.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    There was article about this in our local paper in March. Doctors were experimenting with it. Said it is four procedures and costs about $1600. Mentioned acne scars, but actually mentioned more about losing your acne period. Said it was great for back acne and just regular acne. Not covered by insurance so for those who the topicals and antibiotics and Accutane didn't work for, this should be good alternative. Only thing I ready Girl, was that results can be seen immediately and by the time you go for next treatment you should have lost 20% of your acne. Let me know if this is true.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:45 PM   #9
    chucky

chucky HB User
    cool

Old 05-16-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
    slick32

slick32 HB User
    Girl, I had the smoothbeam treatment done 2 weeks ago at the setting of 10 as well (read that in your other post). It didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would either. I only used the numbing cream on my nose, around my mouth and eyes. My face is looking better and better as days go by.. not only fewer pimples, but it's plumping up the old scars. I'm going back in for my second treatment in 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure I'll do 4 treatments then maybe a maintenance treatment every 6 months or so. The good thing is that the place I get it done is pretty cheap...$150 per session.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #11
    trainboxer
    Inactive

trainboxer HB User
    Thats really good slick! I am glad you are getting good results.
    When you say it plumped up your old scars, can you go more into detail on how they look now.thanks

Old 05-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #12
    GirlGirl

GirlGirl HB User
    Hey Slick!
    I cannot believe that you only had the numbing cream in certain spots!!!! I guess I am a wimp! She treated my WHOLE face-from the hairline, in to the bottom of my chin. Did you do your whole face or just spot treat it? Because, when she passed the laser over those few spots that didn't get the numbing as good.....ouch!

So, you were seeing results right away after your first treatment?! That is great! Today is only day two for me. Are you still using any other meds (like topicals?)

Old 05-17-2003, 06:07 PM   #13
    slick32

slick32 HB User
    trainboxer - the changes to scars at this point are fairly subtle, but noticeable. I really think that after I finish 3 more sessions and as a few months go by that the benefits will be much more noticeable.

Girlgirl - Yeah, actually my secret to enduring the pain was that I took a Lortab that I had left over from another problem I had recently. I took it about 30 minutes before the procedure... cheating I know, but I have about 5 pills left and I'm saving them for the remaining sessions. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

I started using topicals again about 3 days after I had it done. I'm scared to go completely without topicals... I guess it's just a habit after over 15 years of treating acne.

Are you experiencing any side effects from Smoothbeam?

[This message has been edited by slick32 (edited 05-17-2003).]

Old 05-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #14
    GirlGirl

GirlGirl HB User
    No, I don't think I am experiencing any side effects. All the redness is gone but the weird thing is, my skin was very flakey today! I am wondering if that is from the Tazorac but I stopped using it on Tuesday to give my skin a break for THursday's Smoothbeam treatment. Did you experience any flaking from Smoothbeam? I didn't think I was supposed to so I am pretty sure it is from Tazorac. After all these flakes go away, I might start using the Taz again-I am not sure yet.

Old 05-17-2003, 06:28 PM   #15
    slick32

slick32 HB User
    For those interested here's more information on Smoothbeam:

SmoothBeam
    What is the Smoothbeam?
    The Smoothbeam laser is a new, non-invasive way to treat wrinkles, acne scarring and acne.. This laser cools the skin and then delivers a laser beam which targets and heats the collagen in the upper dermis while protecting the epidermis.

What conditions does Smoothbeam treat?
    Smoothbeam is FDA approved to treat wrinkles or fine lines around the eyes and acne. At Perfect Skin we are using this laser to treat acne, acne scars, and wrinkles around the eyes and mouth. The laser helps renew skin by stimulating a generation of new collagen formation in the skin.

What kind of acne does the Smoothbeam treat?
    Both inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions have been successfully treated. The laser has been used on the back, face and neck areas and could be used anywhere you might have acne. Acne on the back is resistant to many existing therapies.

How does Smoothbeam Acne Treatment compare to existing treatments?
    There are no unusual side-effects or adverse reaction to Smoothbeam treatments. Drug therapy for the treatment of acne has a well-publicized side-effect profile. Accutane, for instance, is known to cause birth defects if one becomes pregnant while using the drug. It has also been linked to severe emotional depression. Finally, other treatments for acne cause severe drying and irritation of the skin for many patients.

How many laser treatments are required?
    A series of 4 treatments are recommended to get maximum results. These are usually performed every 4 - 6 weeks. You will notice a gradual reduction in the number and severity of acne lesions over the next 3 weeks after your treatment. There will be a gradual improvement in fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scarring over the next 6- 12 months.

What does Smoothbeam feel like?
    Because of the Dynamic Cooling Device (DCD), many patients report a "mild" or slight snapping and tingling sensation.

How long will the results last?
    This a very new treatment, but studies have shown that acne improvement is maintained for at least 6 months to 1 year after the last laser treatment.

What precautions should I take?
    Avoid sun exposure for 4 to 6 weeks before and after any laser treatment. You should not have any chemical peels or microdermabrasion treatments for one month prior to each treatment.

How will my face look after the treatment?
    Risks are low with Smoothbeam. Immediately after the treatment, there will be mild redness and swelling in the area treated. This will subside in about two twelve hours. Rarely the redness may persist for several days. Some pigmentation changes can occur with more aggressive treatment that will resolve itself over time.

Should I continue to use my acne creams and medications?
    Most over the counter and prescription creams and medications can be continued during the treatment. You should stop using any Retin a containing products prior to laser treatments.

How much will it cost?
    Varies by location.

Is this treatment covered by insurance?
    Most insurance companies do not cover cosmetic procedures.

[This message has been edited by slick32 (edited 05-17-2003).]

Closed Thread