It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Over 21+ years old with acne, Desperate? I will lend a hand.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #106
    c0nfused
    (male)

c0nfused HB User
    Re: Over 21+ years old with acne, Desperate? I will lend a hand.

thanks soupy, i tried that with my bathroom but it didnt seem to get hot enough so i had to sign up at a local gym, hopefully its working well for you. i usually cant stay in the steam room for more than 10 minutes, but if i know that its gonna help if i stay longer, i would.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #107
    krankykid
    (female)

krankykid HB User

I am 44 years old and I still have acne! I do however chalk it up to oily skin, an unhealthy diet (but not all the time). My face has NEVER completely cleared. I simply cannot eat anything (not literally) without breaking out and quite frankly I'm tired ofit. I'm in the process of trying PROACTIV. There are many folks I know who've seen good/great results! Anyone else out there try it???

Old 09-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #108
    mikegoons
    (male)

mikegoons HB User

hey Iwillhelpyou Im on my last month of Accutane and have just started working out(running) this whole week. My question is do u use any facial cleansers when done? or is that irrelevant and just use water? and how many times a day do u actually shower? thanks. . .

Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #109
    Iwillhelpyou
    (male)

Iwillhelpyou HB User

Hi Confused,
    You don't need to go to the steam room several times a day,

I only go to the steam room once every 2 days, one time a day,

While in the steam you can sit in there for 3 minutes, come out for 1 minute, go back in , repeat 3-4 times until 15-20 minutes.

You don't have to sit in there almost choking you know )
    Bring some water, relax , steam room should be relaxing, People in finland/europe or somewhere use it as a social gathering not a torture chamber hahah

Just make sure you are SWEATING, like you feel your heart beat pulse faster, you are actually sweating and its not condensation from the steam.

15-20 minutes in the steam room is good to go. Once a day or two.

krankykid: I've used all topicals, none of them worked for me. I have oily skin. Had to stop the oily skin from the inside, such as B5 / Accutane / My current diet/exercise/steam lifestyle.

Mikegoons,

I'm glad you are working out now, hey even if our acne doesn't get that much better at least we'll have great bodies

I don't use any facial cleansers,

I use a "loofah" scrub, You should find something that is soft and ruffled so it can scrub away your dead skin, A loofah has ruffle ridges and is soft (the ones I get)

You can use a towel or something, never just splash water on your face, you need to scrub off the dead skin.

I use a scrubber and warm water,

If you are at the gym and you seem some person with a loofah scrubber and his face 1 inch next to the faucet , thats me.

Last edited by Iwillhelpyou; 09-15-2005 at 05:50 PM.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #110
    c0nfused
    (male)

c0nfused HB User

thanks for the advice... where can i get a loofah scrubber? im from the US, can i go to rite aid or longs drugs?

Old 09-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #111
    Iwillhelpyou
    (male)

Iwillhelpyou HB User

Yes, they sell it at riteaid
    don't get the one that is very hard, i don't know what its for but i don't think its for the face, more like a body scrubber find the soft one.

You can get any scrubber that is sort of soft but ridged, so it can scrub off the dead skin.

Last edited by Iwillhelpyou; 09-16-2005 at 08:19 PM.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #112
    c0nfused
    (male)

c0nfused HB User

iwillhelpyou, is there anything else in your regimen? anything in addition to diet, exercise, & sweating? ive been doing this for a while and i think ive only seen minimal results. do you recommend continuing to use retin-A? i had the really bad initial breakout from retin-A and i do not want it to make my skin worse. it seems as if i read more horror stories about retin-A rather than success stories. anymore advice for us 21+ year olds?

Old 09-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #113
    acnemom
    (female)

acnemom HB User

I have read this thread with much interest. I firmly believe that diet is a factor in acne (if only I could convince my college girls to go on Sweet Jades food recommendations!). I have a question though- had acne from age 12 to 19-then I went on BC pills and totally cleared up, but have scars. I am 50 yrs old and have extremely oily skin probably more oily than when I was a teen (also have very few wrinkles) but no acne-how can this be? I rarely get a pimple. Any answers out there?

Old 09-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #114
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Hi acnemom You just said it yourself: diet affects acne. Well, this is because diet affects sebum production. Cut down on the amount of refined carbohydrates you eat and you will produce less oil. Try it for three days and let us know what you see

Here's the science (very simplified and tongue in cheek):

Excess refined carbs (e.g. bread) = spike in blood-sugar levels = high insulin production = increase in sebum = shiny face = expensive makeup

Check it out for yourself by searching around.

By the way, I think it's great that you're supporting your daughters by doing some research on their behalf. My mum was my only source of moral support through the worst of my acne and I don't think I could have survived without her. Good on you!

Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #115
    Ihaveadream
    (male)

Ihaveadream HB User

I am new to these this healthboard and cant believe how informative it is. This is an interesting thread and it makes sense. I guess this sort of explains why athletes/ footballers etc dont get acne. I am currently on EV's digestive system cleanse and will introduce this exersize in later.

Nice one

Closed Thread