It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My accutane Journal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User
    My accutane Journal

Day 1

Last night I took my first pill. I was so excited the derm prescribed this pill that I couldn't wait. I went to the derms office as soon as I could to pick up the description and picked up the medication same day and took it.

I have a lot of faith in this medication and I hope I will not be dissapointed. I hope I'm not part of the small percentage that accutane does not improve their acne. I know it's not gonna be overnight and that is why I opened this journal. I know it can take months or even the acne can be improved but not cured, but to be honest, that will be enough for me.

I have read online about the side effects and the only one that concerns me a little is hair loss (it's never been a problem for me before, I have a lot of hair) but hopefully it is not a very common side effect or the hair will grow up (or I'll wear a wig). I'm willing to take any side effect because even thought I have suffered from acne for 15 years, it has never been as awful as now. I don't even want to leave my house anymore. When I think about the scars I will get (I already have enough) I get very deppressed.

If anybody wants to comment on this post, they are more than welcomed but please DO NOT POST ANYTHING AGAINST ACCUTANE because I'm not gonna listen. I am willing to go to extremes to get rid of this acne.

Let's see what the future holds...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
    hybridelements
    (female)

hybridelements HB User
    Re: My accutane Journal

HI! i've just started it 2 days ago! i'm just like u,willing to do anything to get rid of acne.. i'm facing the same torture too,scared to even leave my house or look at anyone in the eye..

argh..i think my eyes are starting to get dry.. have u prepare for the side effects? like getting the lip balm and eye drops?

keep updating this journal =)

Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
    realsad
    (female)

realsad HB User

welcome, i am a 24 yo female in accutane month 3! auqaphor is great for your chapped lips. also, i take biotin daily to help with the hairloss issue, mine was falling out a little, not anything near going bald though, but enough to notice a wad of hair in the shower and i think the biotin has helped accutane is working well for me so far! and i didn't have an initial breakout i wish you two the very best!!!! keep us updated

Old 10-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

Day 5

So far I have no side effects but I guess it's too early (still day 5). My derm put me on 40 grams (maybe it's too low or I just need more time to feel the side effects)

My lips are not dryer than usual but I have been using the aquaphor almost since day 1 (I've been forewarn) The acne I feel it's pretty much the same.

I'm really glad to hear from other Accutane users. I hope we all get great results in the end.

REALSAD: I'm glad you did not get an initial breakout (I hope the same happens to Me ). I will reasearch on the Biotin. Thanks for the tip.

Hybridelements: I hope to hear from you too, since we almost started the same day.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
    california1
    (male)

california1 HB User

hey, goodluck with your accutane journey. ive completed 1 month so far. i also have a journal, check it out!

Old 10-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

Thank you California1, actually I had already visited your journal before I created mine.

Week 1

Well actually today is my 10th day. I started to feel the side effects of the medicine since day 6 (the day after the previous post) My face itches a lot, a lot, it's very dry. My eyes are dry too. My lips also are dry(a lot of itching too). Unfortunately this morning I woke up with several zits that came from nowhere (like 7 more) I had a bunch in my forehead.

It's really hard not to get discouraged when your face itches so much and you still get breakouts. But I'll still give it my best. I'm sure if accutane's rate of sucess was lower, I'd probably would have quit today. This medicine is very powerful, after six days I felt the side effects, I can only imagine a higher dose.

Last edited by lolitazz; 10-09-2005 at 12:03 AM.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #7
    hybridelements
    (female)

hybridelements HB User

yo.. i'm feeling the side effects too.. the dry lips.. but my skin isnt very dry,except when after i wash my face, the areas around my lips.. my eyes are doing well, hope it stays this way..

Old 10-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

week 2

Tomorrow I'll start officially my third week. Yes!!!!! Fortunetely I haven't had a major breakout since day 10 (that breakout was pretty bad )

Also my skin is not as dry as before, but it is a little dry. My lips and eyes haven't been a problem either. In general the side effects are minimal.

My skin is looking clearer, specially my right cheek. I do get new zits but not as many or as big. My left side is still pretty messy (but better though)

I hope everything continues this way.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
    whitesox123
    (male)

whitesox123 HB User

well good luck to all of you i am on my 2nd month and am almost all clear not a pimple on me i just have to get rid of these red marks and i am good i am using apple cider vigear toner its working pretty good for them

Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
    Wmoon24

Wmoon24 HB User

[QUOTE=lolitazz]Day 1
    I'm willing to take any side effect because even thought I have suffered from acne for 15 years, it has never been as awful as now. I don't even want to leave my house anymore. When I think about the scars I will get (I already have enough) I get very deppressed.
    QUOTE]

I'm dealing with this same issue right now. My skin has been breaking out since 12, but right now it's worse than it's been in years. I'm looking forward to reading your accutane journal because although I never have been too fond of the idea of this med, I am almost willing to try it now. Anything to help this horrible acne. My cheeks have scars already and my face is so bad right now I won't leave the house unless I absolutely HAVE to. My daughter wanted me to go on a field trip with her class last week and I wouldn't go because I am so embarrassed and self conscious about people looking at me. It's affecting everyone in my family
    Good luck with the Accutane, I hope it works for you!

Old 10-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

Wmoon24

I think if you are still breaking out, you should give it a try. I wish I would have done this earlier. Even though i have not seen a lot of results yet, I still have a lot of faith because I do know a lot of people that have taken this medicine and it has worked.

To be honest with you, I always had acne, but I had the worst breakout in July and I haven't recovered. I don't know where it came from, maybe from stress, hormones, lack of exercise, who knows. Before I was more worried about my scars but with this breakout I'm just trying to control my acne.

I do plan eventually to treat my scars. I've heard dermabrasion it's the most effective still (not microdermabrasion) but you can end up worse, and when you take accutane, you have to wait a year before you can have one. Of course there are less drastic options. I have a friend that had a lot of scars,and she is always having chemical peels and treatements and her skin looks much better, (I can not even keep up with all the stuff she does) but I noticed that when she stops, her scars get deeper (but not as deep as before).

Update Day 18

I always try to update my journal once a week on Thursdays but I needed to update it today. Yesterday I cut my hair and by accident the hairdresser scratched my face (or my zits I should say) with the brush. She was like "oh poor thing" It was horrible. I felt so humilated I started crying (And it was not the physical pain that made me cry, trust me). Thank God that no one else noticed.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
    hybridelements
    (female)

hybridelements HB User

oh damn. that hairdresser sucks. if i'm u,i would have told her to learn hair-cutting all over again before she cuts hair for another person again..lol.. cheer up =)

Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #13
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

week 3

Today is the end of week 3. Still feeling very thirsty. My lips and skin a little dry. No pain though.

My skin is lookin clearer but I still get some zits now and then, but they are not as bumpy as before. It's definetely getting better. I do have a lot of red spots from zits that are healing. I'm not used to the red spots lasting that long because before accutane, I used to apply Hydriquinone 3% or 5%(a bleaching agent) and I'm dying to use it, but my derm told me not to apply anything else. I might ask her in my next visit if I can use it, but I think I know the answer. (NOO!!)

So far I'm happy with the results, and I think the side effects are really minimal. My skins does peel a lot though. I think I'm gonna ran out of skin!! I just wished my red marks faded quicker. I think the texture of my skin is way better, even though I never had oily skin.

Next week I should go to the derm (I'm in Florida, so hopefully they will not close the doctor's office b/c of Wilma) I hope I can go because I'm running really low in medicine. She is going to increase my dosage, probably to 60 or 80 mgs (I"m at 40 mgs, but it's quite strong b/c of my weight). Let's see what happens, I will update this journal, next Thursday.

Last edited by lolitazz; 10-20-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
    california1
    (male)

california1 HB User

good to see you are gettin better... try out neosporin for those red spots to heal quicker!

Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #15
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

A month later

Well the most aweful thing just happened: Hurricane Wilma came and South Florida is out of power. Well I do have power since Wednesday (and thank God because I was without power for a week during Katrina and being without air conditioner in South Florida is not that easy) but my doctor's office doesn't. So my appointment was cancelled and I ran out of Accutane. In other words, my treatement has stopped.

Well it really sucks to say the least. They called me from the office today. Maybe their power is back, but I will probably get the prescription by Friday. That's a whole week without medicine. Oh well, some things are inevitable.

Closed Thread