It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (Apri)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (Apri)

Just wondering what people think the best generic BC pill for acne is. I've tried a bunch of different ones (for the past 14 months I've been using generic Ortho Tri-Cyclen "Tri-Sprintec") but need to try something new. My acne is mostly on my chin/jawline. I was thinking about asking for Desogen (the generic equivalent is called "Apri" I think). Has anyone tried this? Also, does anyone know if Yasmin comes in a generic form? Thanks

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 09-30-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User
    Re: Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (Apri)

Diane-35 or Dianette is also approved for acne.

I am on Yasmin and love it. I went to see my dermatologist today and asked him for an alternative because I want to get off the pill. The hormone in yasmin is similar to spironolactone and asked him about it. he gave me a prescription.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    Re: Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (Apri)

I tried Yasmin a few years ago, and it didn't help me. Do you know if Diane is available in the U.S.? I could be wrong, but I thought it was only available in Canada. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to Diane available in the U.S.? Thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
    willowb
    (female)

willowb HB User

im wondering the same thing about diane 35...i went to their website (just google it) and you can purchase it from the website (with no perscription)...but i would rather get perscription from my doctor if it is available. if anyone knows about diane 35 id love to hear back from you!! thanks!

W

Old 09-30-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Is Mircette the Diane-35 equivalent?

Old 10-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
    VEE143
    (female)

VEE143 HB User
    Smile Re: Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (Apri)

Hi, peachy I used to be on Estrostep for a good year and that worked for my acne but my Gyno told me that its not the best for acne so she put me on Apri the generic of desogen and ive been on it for a month and i can tell already its working for my skin and i didnt get the nausea i got whjen i was on other birth controls .

Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    Is Mircette the Diane-35 equivalent?

No, they aren't chemically equivalent.

Diane-35 has 2mg of cyproterone acetate and 0.035mg ethinyl estradiol
    Mircette has 0.150mg desogestrel and 0.020mg ethinyl estradiol.

They each have a different progestin, and Diane has a higher amount of estradiol.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
    bahamagirl
    (female)

bahamagirl HB User
    Re: Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (A

The US diane-35 is called Dianette.....they're both identical. It didnt help with my skin and turned me into a moody cow...im on yasmin now and im not sure if its the proactiv, the suppliments i take or that but my skin is a million times better than it used to be...i get about 2 pimples a month (maybe a little of those tiny surface ones bu they dont count-hehe) and thats just when im due on my period.
    No side effects either, i dont get period pains and im on my period really light for 2 or 3 days!
    P.s, only pill that hasnt made my boobs grow but oh well, cant have everything

Old 10-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Thanks for the replies ladies Well, I made the switch from generic Ortho Tri Cyclen (Tri-Sprintec) to generic Desogen (Apri) last week, so hopefully things will run smoothly. As long as things don't get worse, I'll be a happy camper Anymore replies with Desogen/Apri experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #10
    luv2bug
    (female)

luv2bug HB User
    Wink Re: Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (Apri)

verdana
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cremebrulee
    Diane-35 or Dianette is also approved for acne.

I am on Yasmin and love it. I went to see my dermatologist today and asked him for an alternative because I want to get off the pill. The hormone in yasmin is similar to spironolactone and asked him about it. he gave me a prescription.
    I agree !!! I've heard goodthing about it!

Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 AM   #11
    yahgler

yahgler HB User
    Re: Best Birth Control Pill for Acne? I've been using OTC, thinking about Desogen (A

I've been taking Desogen or Apri for over a year now and my skin has never been clearer. I started out on Alesse but had problems with breakthrough bleeding, so I switched to Ortho-Tri Cyclen, which made my skin worse. I switched to Desogen for a few months and then switched to Apri after my free sample packs of Desogen ran out. It's been my holy grail, woohoo!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:13 PM   #12
    teen101
    (female)

teen101 HB User

I went on Diane-35 for 6 months, but had to stop because my doc would only prescribe me that many to prevent the clotting its known for. I LOVED it as far as acne goes! .....I'll list my positives and negatives I found from Diane....

Positives:
    -Period always on time
    -The odd bad cramps still, but HUGE improvement
    -Face and body cleared RIGHT up
    -Hair thickened/looked healthy
    -Boobs got like a cup n a half size bigger (kinda nice, haha)

Negatives:
    -Gained like 20 pounds! Huge food cravings!
    -Crazy mood swings
    -Lower sex drive
    All in all, i Guess it's up to you.. In this case, I guess acne is the biggest concern, and let me tell you it was a god send. I'd love to be back on, but in fear of the clotting my doctor speaks of, or bascially the weight I'm evennttualllyy losing again, I doubt I will. I'm on Ortho Tricyclen and I hate it!! Acne is out of control!!! back, chest, allllll over my face. Back to how highschool was again!

Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 AM   #13
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

Hey all,
    I am a month and a half into Yasmin, and my skin hasn't cleared yet. Not even close, and I think I may be experiencing the month 2 breakout that I've heard people talk about (with Yasmin). But, it has worked for me in the past, and people have raved about it for acne. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    I am still dealing with some nausea, but not as bad as the first month.
    Anyone else taking Yasmin?

Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #14
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

i've been using estrostep for over a year and though i still get acne regularly, it is GREATLY reduced by being on this b.c. pill.

i've been on other b.c. pills in the past, and none of them cleared up my face as much as estrostep.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
    midblue_alone
    (female)

midblue_alone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    I tried Yasmin a few years ago, and it didn't help me. Do you know if Diane is available in the U.S.? I could be wrong, but I thought it was only available in Canada. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to Diane available in the U.S.? Thanks
    Hi peachy ! I just want to ask u & our friends here if diane 35 has no side effects? I was taking it for 3 -4 yrs. on and off & i like it...my boobs got a lil bigger when i was taking it,good skin meaning i hardly had pimples unlike b4.
    I didnt took it for pimples/skin prob.. i took it coz i dont want to get pregnant.
    Anyway, i stopped using it coz they said diane is only good for those women who already had a child.I have never been pregnant & im confuse if its all true.My co-workers said i would have a problem in the future if i already decided to have a child coz i was taking it.I started taking diane when i was 21 & they said thats too young for me to be taking diane 35.
    Somebody said my liver would also be damaged.I dont believe it that much though coz why would they sell it here w/o prescription...

I want to know any info about diane 35 & dya think its alright 4 me to continue taking it eventhough im not having sex??.Just want to have a good skin & big boobs
    thanks in advance

Closed Thread