It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Desogen Birth Control pills?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    Desogen Birth Control pills?

Has anyone tried this pill? If so, did it improve your acne? Right now I'm on Ortho Tr-Cyclen (generic version) and it's not helping at all (I've also tried Yasmin, and that hasn't helped either). Thanks

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 10-04-2005 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
    yahgler

yahgler HB User
    Re: Desogen Birth Control pills?

I've been on Desogen for just over a year (started on Desogen and now I'm taking Apri, the generic). I absolutely love it. I think it just really agrees with me. I started out on Alesse, which didn't do anything for my skin one way or the other, so I switched to Ortho Tri-cyclen to see if it would help stop my break-outs, and it actually made things worse. I switched to Desogen and it's been great. My skin hasn't been this clear for this long in years. I think it took about 3 months before I started seeing an improvement, but things steadily improved after that until I've been 99% clear (with the occasional itty bitty zit, nothing to write home about). My periods are also really light and Apri is covered by my insurance, so I pay $8 for a three month supply (yay!). My experience has definitely been positive, so I hope it works for you if you decide to try it

Old 10-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
    portrgirl
    (female)

portrgirl HB User

Desogen was WONDERFUL for me.

Unfortunately, a few months after I switched to the generic (Apri), my acne came back and I started spotting (sorry if TMI). I have no idea if that has to do with my taking the generic (while the active ingredients are the same, the inactive doesn't have to be and the generic only has to be within 20% of the brand's absorbtion rate) or my body just not liking the pill after 1.5 years.

The same thing happened when I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen...

Old 10-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yahgler
    I've been on Desogen for just over a year (started on Desogen and now I'm taking Apri, the generic). I absolutely love it. I think it just really agrees with me. I started out on Alesse, which didn't do anything for my skin one way or the other, so I switched to Ortho Tri-cyclen to see if it would help stop my break-outs, and it actually made things worse. I switched to Desogen and it's been great. My skin hasn't been this clear for this long in years. I think it took about 3 months before I started seeing an improvement, but things steadily improved after that until I've been 99% clear (with the occasional itty bitty zit, nothing to write home about). My periods are also really light and Apri is covered by my insurance, so I pay $8 for a three month supply (yay!). My experience has definitely been positive, so I hope it works for you if you decide to try it

Did it make you break out at first?

Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I plan to take the generic version...hopefully it will work well (nothing else has)! Thanks for the feedback

Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
    yahgler

yahgler HB User

I didn't have an initial break out with it, but then I was pretty broken out when I first started it so I may not have noticed. Anyway, in my case any initial breakout I may have had was definitely worth it. Now, if only my stupid redmarks would fade quicker

Closed Thread