It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, made it through another day without spiro....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2003, 07:29 AM   #1
    laur
    Veteran

laur HB User
    Post Well, made it through another day without spiro....

I sure hope I'm doing the right thing. After all these years, I don't even have confidence in what product to trash and when to do it. Seems like such a big thing. I have been on this stupid computer for days now researching and reading etc. ... My breakouts on my chin seem to be like a surface thing rather than any kind of acne. I can have 5 or 25 at a time and the area can be clear for awhile and healing only to all of a sudden wake up to a new breakout......only oil filled "bubbles" . If I open them with a tweezers they either IMMEDIATELY scab over and start the dry scaly healing process, or they fill back up and I repeat the process. I know I am not supposed to be picking, but I promise If I don't they really do hang round getting bigger for a couple weeks. I can't stand them. I get them also in "groups"....they are all in the same small area which makes me wonder if it is a surface thing like perioral dermatitis ....They are red including all of the skin in that area. Don't usually have any pus in them etc. Does anyone else out there have this. ??? I ended up with probably 30 or so on the one side of my chin. Looks similar to a rash but does NOT itch. This is what I originally started treating 5 years ago. It has never seemed like acne to me and I have never understood why the accutane especially wont permanently get rid of it. I do get white heads and some cysts though too, but usually they are maore spread out.....the ones on the chin are always very much in groups and only oil filled. Is THIS REALLY ACNE??? Am I grasping at straws??? The finacea samples that he gave me are used to treat rosacea but he said since it was azeleic acid 15% and in a moisturizing cream it could help acne. I asked him 3 times....ARE YOU SURE THIS IS TYPICAL ACNE and NOT SOME RASH OR LUPUS???? He insists no, but when I see the new derm next week, I will see what he says. .....I hate starting over with another derm.

On another note: I am still trying to figure out the jojoba oil thing. IF it were causing the breakouts...I have used it for almost 6 months and the breakouts on my chin I've had for 5 years. ....I will stop it as a trial completely after the flakiness subsides a bit from going off spiro.
    Another note:.......This last bad breakout COULD be from cutting back AGAIN on accutane. I went from 3 pills per week to 2 about a month ago......BUT if it is that then I will NEVER be able to go off of the accutane. I am very sad and sick of dealing with this. I almost hope the new derm does a biopsy and finds out its from the lupus and tries a different treatment. Thinking its acne and that nothing helps keep it away except taking accutane 3 or 4 days per week is really depressing. I'm 38, and it doesn't look like its going away anytime soon.

IF this new guy is an idiot.....I WILL go back to taking the stupid accutane 3 or 4 days a week.....May not be the best, but at least it helps and would give me back some of my life. I Can't go through this trial and error for another 20 years.

L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
    cherilyn

cherilyn HB User
    Laur, I feel so bad with your situation. I was curious what lupus is and this is what came up for some treatments. Have you tried these? Hope everything goes better for you soon.

Corticosteroids (steroids) are hormones that have anti-inflammatory and immunoregulatory properties. They are normally produced in small quantities by the adrenal gland. This hormone controls a variety of metabolic functions in the body. Synthetically produced corticosteroids are used to reduce inflammation and suppress activity of the immune system. The most commonly prescribed drug of this type is Prednisone.
    Because steroids have a variety of side effects, the dose has to be regulated to maximize the beneficial anti-immune/anti-inflammatory effects and minimize the negative side effects. Side effects occur more frequently when steroids are taken over long periods of time at high doses (for example, 60 milligrams of Prednisone taken daily for periods of more than one month). Such side effects include weight gain, a round face, acne, easy bruising, "thinning" of the bones (osteoporosis), high blood pressure, cataracts, onset of diabetes, increased risk of infection and stomach ulcers.

Anti-malarials

Chloroquine (Aralen) or hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), commonly used in the treatment of malaria, may also be very useful in some individuals with lupus. They are most often prescribed for skin and joint symptoms of lupus. It may take months before these drugs demonstrate a beneficial effect. Side effects are rare, and consist of occasional diarrhea or rashes. Some anti-malarial drugs, such as quinine and chloroquine, can affect the eyes. Therefore, it is important to see an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) regularly. The manufacturer suggests an eye exam before starting the drug and one exam every six months thereafter. However your physician might suggest a yearly exam is sufficient.

Cytotoxic Drugs

Azathioprine (Imuran) and cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) are in a group of agents known as cytotoxic or immunosuppressive drugs. These drugs act in a similar manner to the corticosteroid drugs in that they suppress inflammation and tend to suppress the immune system. The side effects of these drugs include anemia, low white blood cell count, and increased risk of infection. Their use may also predispose an individual to developing cancer.
    People with lupus should learn to recognize early symptoms of disease activity. In that way they can help the physician know when a change in therapy is needed. Regular monitoring of the disease by laboratory tests can be valuable because noticeable symptoms may occur only after the disease has significantly flared. Changes in blood test results may indicate the disease is becoming active even before the patient develops symptoms of a flare. Generally, it seems that the earlier such flares are detected, the more easily they can be controlled. Also, early treatment may decrease the chance of permanent tissue or organ damage and reduce the time one must remain on high doses of drugs. Robert G. Lahita, M.D., Ph.D.

Old 05-23-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
    laur
    Veteran

laur HB User
    Cherilyn, THANK YOU sooo much for taking the time to look that up. I really appreciate it !! It has been a hard road for me the last few years I guess and I'm still standing......but I just don't know how much more I can try. I don't take the steroids, fortunately, and I'm glad because they cause acne themselves......solve one problem and start another. I am on other meds, and anti imflammatories as well. Maybe I've just been feeling sorry for myself I guess, but I just can't stand thinking about it anymore. I really thought i would be somewhat clear by now. Don't get me wrong....I'm not a lunatic or anything, I mean I could handle one here and there, but this has been awful. And the ups and downs of thinking I am getting better only to breakout again and again, well, its just too much. I wish so much that this didn't bother me, but I can't help it. I'm not sure when it got to this point. I remember back in highschool I didn't breakout, but I did in my early 20's, and I'm not sure at what point it became bad enough for me to worry about it. I went through a lot of creams and pills and stuff back then and then I found spiro. It never occured to me that this could happen all over again. and surely not at this age, after menopause and this bad. ....
    Well, I thank you from the bottom of my heart....really. It takes a special person to do that for someone they don't know. Funny thing is, when I was diagnosed with lupus, even my family didn't look anything up....or support me very well. Thanks for thinking of me.
    Laur

Old 05-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
    scudboy

scudboy HB User
    laur, ur posts lately have been bothering me. perhaps u should just take it easy and give ur mind a little break. all that thinking and worrying has to be bad for ur body physically. its funny how i sometimes just go out and hang with my friends and at the end of the day, my skin looks better despite it looking like an oil slick by the 8th hour without washing my face.

u said u're not a lunatic. i agree. u seem in control so far. but i doubt it would take long before u let yourself go overboard and engulf ur life. I'm not really sure on ur condition, but if u get crappy skin on ONE side of your chin, please just stop being so anal to yourself. one bloody side of your chin (1 inch X 0.5 inch area, whoopdee do!) Many people have a face full of scars or cysts. Yes, that small area of non-itchy, non-red patch of acne (so small u even suspect its a rash) on ur chin is going to determine if u're hot or not. I mean if I saw u in a bar and thought u were hot and came up close, I would completely reject u cause of that small patch. give me and yourself a break and live a little. And I mean live in the outside world, not your derm's office or this site where it only makes u think even more.

sorry for acting so harsh on u. Just trying to give a little sense of perspective on u. I know lupus sucks, but i'm wondering how much it really sucks when u can complain a whole week on a small patch of skin.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #5
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User
    Hey Laur, I know how frustrating this acne can get,I've been there but I'm sure not as bad as you have had it.Anyway,if you ever feel like just comming here and SCREAMING just do it, lol.I know it always use to help me.It can be too hard to keep all those bottled up frustrating emotions inside you.They will just keep eating at you.So please feel free to cry,yell,and stomp your feet anytime.We are here for you.

Old 11-22-2003, 02:25 AM   #6
    amed

amed HB User
    Smile Re: Well, made it through another day without spiro....

I know you posted awhile ago, but I thought I'* reply anyway. It sounds like you have perioral dermatitis. I had the same thing, the little blister zit things that would scab/dry/crust up and peel away, only to reveal wonderful new bright red skin, and then yet even more little blisters later on. It's such a great condition to have! NOT!

Try SpectroJel. It's an antibacterial soapless facial cleanser. I don't have POD anymore because of this stuff. And it isn't hard on your body like antibiotics and other things that dermatologists prescribe. Try it for a week - and NO PICKING It's worth a try...

Old 12-07-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
    micheguns
    Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
    Re: Well, made it through another day without spiro....

hey laur,
    long time huh....
    anyway, i just wanted to know if you still post to these boards, and to see how you are doing,
    i have thought about you and have always hoped that your face and lupus got better.......please reply if you get this, as i would like to catch you up on my microdermabrasions and face stuff.....
    -m

Old 12-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

i have 8 people in my family.my oldest sister has always had weight problems while everyone in my family does not.she still has oily skin and sometimes get breakouts and shes 55.she said she has tried to lose weight and cant.i was wandering if she has PECOS.my next to the oldest sister had terrible acne and now has lupus.im 42 and have had acne right up til i went on this spiro/prem thing 14 months ago and my skin cleared up unbelievely and i havnt gotten not even one pimple of any kind since.i also bit my fingernails right up til the time i went on this then i just like didnt need to anymore.and it is more than the calming effect of spiro.plus my body was always more girl like than guy like.thats the reason my body never adjusted to its hormones.im wondering if we all have adrenal glands that are not working properly?there has to be a connection here with the acne/lupus.maybe your not producing enough estrogen or too much testosterone.i know my sister with lupus has terrible looking skin and looks like she needs to be on hormone replacement therapy and my skin looks great and i look a lot younger than 42.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:25 AM   #9
    laur
    Veteran

laur HB User

Hi all,
    Yes I'm still visiting but haven't felt like I've had much to contribute. For me it seems this will never end. I've been off the accutane.....my OWN decision.....for 5 months. I just got fed up and quit one day during my trip. I have had a round of facial hair to contiend with in addition to the acne now. I got rid of my old derm who was useless and decided to start "over". I went to a woman derm here in town and she started me on glycolic lotion to sort of continue exfoliating everything to bring things to the surface. That was 4 months ago. I am still pretty broken out. She took me off yasmin (said for me in contributed to facial hair) and put me on a 50 mg dose of spiro again. I also went on strictly estrogen to combat the menopause symptoms and help with acne. This treatment hasn't helped and today when I see her again, I'm sure I'll have to change or add something. I still believe in my heart and soul that this is a result of lupus. But without proof, I'm on my own. She says it could be, but still has to be treated as acne. I think today she will prescribe the retin a micro that she mentioned 5 weeks ago. You would all be proud of me that I've stuck with everything she's said to do. I'm not quite as dry now after being off the accutane for so long. but now that the oil is returning, I'm breaking out even on my forehead where I've never had 1 pimple. Very depressing after 5 years on tane. That stuff sure wasn't a miracle for me. Truthfully, I'm still pretty depressed and yet I still keep trying. I am going to ask her about the spectrogel cleanser, but she usually only changes 1 thing every 2 months. I was using the cream glycolic due to severe dryness, but am now switched to the lotion which is lighter. Hopefully this will help. I have about 100 clogged pores and still get the tiny oil things that just seem to appear overnight. I've thought about all of you and have watched your progress. I just didn't feel like I had anything to offer. Also, I gave up the jojoba in July....tried something else with no results and started it again about a month ago. The breakouts don't seem any worse than when I didn't use it. Surprised to see this old post come up. Nice to know I'm still thought of.
    M, I hope your happier this Holiday than you were last year. I'll try to post a bit more often.
    L

Closed Thread