It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• starting accutane- journal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #166
    kdogg
    (male)

kdogg HB User
    Re: starting accutane- journal

hey lex!! i would recommend the cetaphil moisture cream for your body....i really like it and havent broken out from it, i use it everywhere even on chest and shoulders where i was affraid becuz of breakouts before...but yes the dryness sucks!! lemme know what you use and how things go cuz im in the same boat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 06:08 AM   #167
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Rubee- glad things are going well for you so fast! that does seem high to me to be honest, you weigh about 10lbs less than me ( im 119) and the highest he would put me on was 40, and he hesitated when he thought of 60 then decided no. I would talk to your derm about it, usually 80 mg is for a 135+ lbs. Who knows, lol it could be just fine though. good luck!!

Kdogg...yeah the dryness is soo annoying. I would be pretty much happier than ihave been in a long time if it would just not be so dry!! I am trying the eucerin around my mouth which is the worst ... my arms seem better and i used that on them for a few days, so i hope it works on the part people actually see in the winter lol. I will let you know in the next few days if it works

Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #168
    nervousrivoldo
    (male)

nervousrivoldo HB User

Hi

I've been on Accutane for nearly 2 months - around my mouth corners /lips is bad for soreness and dryness - is this what you are experiencing?? I'm at the derm in over a week but wanted to see if i can improve this by then.

Cheers

Old 02-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #169
    hmmr
    (female)

hmmr HB User

First I want to say that reading these journals is very helpful.
    I'm new here - a mom to a 16 year old boy who just started
    accutane last week. He has suffered from bad nodular acne
    on back for quite some time. Last summer it started on his
    face. He was on minocycline for 2 years. Our family doc
    didn't know what to do - told me to birng him for a "facial".
    Finally I asked for a derm referral. We had to wait 3 months
    for an initial appt but once she saw him and read about his
    history, she didn't hesitate to prescribe the accutane after
    he had his blood tests.

We also have cetaphil cream and facial wash. Both seem good.
    The derm did recommend Purpose moisturizer because it comes
    with an SPF of 15 or 30 and accutane has sun sensitivity as a
    side affect.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #170
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Yepp that's what i mean....its basically like if you follow the corners of your mouth down to your chin...thats where I am really dry. I hope it gets better soon. too! Good luck on accutane

Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #171
    NJpeg
    (female)

NJpeg HB User

All these accutane journals are also helpful to me too - as my 18 year old son started Accutane end of November - he has suffered for almost 6 years with bad back & chest acne and has tried everything - finally convinced the derm. to give the accutane a try. He has been doing good - a little bit of chapped lips, but that's really the worst symptom so far - his back is drying out - hopefully he will be able to go to the beach this summer (without a shirt).

Old 02-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #172
    kdogg
    (male)

kdogg HB User

yeah they are really helpful....

lex i had the same problems but more at the beggining of my course what i did was just makesure to keep my mouth moist but free from water like when i would drink, or brush teeth of anything i would jus be extra careful and i would apply cetaphil cream 3 times a day but only a thin layer....lemme know how things work for you though.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #173
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Thank you NJpeg and Kdogg! I am glad the journals help. They also help me relieve stress and ask questions, so i love them and am glad to help anytime. The dryness seems to be getting better, I have been using the eucerin. My arms are pretty much 100% better...well about as good as you can get for someone on a med that drys you out lol. I will keep u posted on how it goes.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #174
    kdogg
    (male)

kdogg HB User

sorry what did u use on your arms again lol???

Old 02-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #175
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Eucerin too, I use it everywhere because it's been really good at quick relief and it hasnt broken me out. I love that stuff lol.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #176
    kdogg
    (male)

kdogg HB User

lol ok ok last reply w/in the 2 minutes lol.......so you used the eucerin with spf 30 all over your body?? back and shoulders too?? and where do u get it?? lol sorry?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #177
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

lol np, you can ask as many ?'s as you want , i dont mind at all. i do use the spf 30 one, it is smaller MUCH harder to find moisturizer, with a pinkish look to it, and has a pink top. I find it in drug stores rather than grocery stores, they seem to have it in stock more often. it is the same as the rest, $10. I dont think I can say specific stores, im not sure, but keep trying the drug stores or call them and see if they have it. Good luck, it is out there! lol

Old 02-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #178
    wilmapug
    (female)

wilmapug HB User

Well today is about day 105, I think..lol. My derm just put me on taking 1 pill one day and 2 pills the next day, and so on. My acne doesn't seem all that better, I mean it is better then before, but it hasen't done much in the lst couple months, now that my dose was doubled I am hoping that it is going to get better! Lets Pray! I want to be clear for the summer!Has anyone else experienced thinning hair? I have and I'm A Hairstylist too, it's horrible!Also very sensitive to the sun!!

Old 02-16-2006, 04:03 AM   #179
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Hey! What dosage were you on? I have heard it is normal to be upped to see if it works better, so hang in there. I didnt really notice results until about where you are now. Im on day 123, and last week i was clear, this week I have had 2 pimples on my cheek and one cyst on my chin. It goes up and down. So hang in there! It will get better!! Let us know how you do

Day 123

Well maybe I did jinx myself. Lol. Last week ( exactly 1 week ago) I had no active pimples and most red marks were freckle looking. So that lasted a while.... lol. This week has been different, I had one good size pimple on my right cheek that is gone now, but am pretty sure it left a red mark ( of course, right? ) and currently I have a small pimple near my eye on my left cheek that wouldnt be so bad if it didnt leave a red mark, which i can tell already it did. Oh and the one cyst on my chin. grrrrrrrrr. I knew there were 2 very small lumps under there for the past 4 months, but i never worried about them, just thinking they will go away eventually. Well I guess that means by forming into a big pimple and then going away. So right now I have the small one and the cyst ( both are going away i think so thats good ) . Not that im complaining, its better than it was for sure, but it is annoying to go from clear to have 3 in one week and 3 new red marks.

Dryness- eh. My arms and legs are better, I have been slathering on the eucerin, and my face is better too, but it is still dry.
    Redness- yep. I look flushed 24/7. lol oh well
    Active pimple- 2, going away slowely but surely. I hope.
    Red Marks- Fading, a brownish color really. Except the 3 from the new ones.

hope everyone is doing well!

Last edited by lexla; 02-16-2006 at 04:06 AM.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #180
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Doing well! those 3 i had are pretty much gone now, and everything is much nicer. Again, only big thing is dryness everywhere, moisturizer helps a lot, but it doesnt go away so i will just wait that out. Otherwise I am very happy! I start month 6 around march 11...time flies!!!!

Closed Thread