It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• May go off of Diane-35, want advice to prevent withdrawl breakout..ideas?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
    blurr

blurr HB User
    Question May go off of Diane-35, want advice to prevent withdrawl breakout..ideas?

Heya...

I have been on Diane-35 for a few years. Due to the studies focussing on Diane's health risks (i.e. blood clots), I am seriously considering going off of this BCP. I love this stuff...I believe it is the only thing that has cleared my skin...although I am not 100% certain. In any case, I went off of Diane-35 about a year and a half ago, to take a break from it. To my harsh dismay, I broke out horribly and only when i went back on it did my acne dimish again (however, in the past, when had been using Diane-35 in combination with minocycline, and when I went off of the mino. every once in awhile, my acne would return. In the past 8 months or so, i have weaned myself off of the antibiotic and have clear skin, so my acne clearing could be due to age and other factors). In any case, I have tried everything out there...Accutane twice, and every other medication under the sun. I have not decided 100% that I am going to go off of this BCP, but if I do, what are some things I can do to minimize the breakout period (assuming that it happens)? I am extremely, 100% clear now, but I am worried that going off of Diane-35 will cause me to break out. Do you think that my derm would allow me to take Accutane again as a measure against preventing a possible breakout, even if I am clear at the time?

Anyone been in similar situations? What did you do? Please help!

[This message has been edited by blurr (edited 05-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
    Jamie McCabe

Jamie McCabe HB User
    I don't have the answer, but I am wondering the EXACT same thing! :-)
    I have been on Diane 35 for about a year and a half, and also believe I have cleared up because of it. Never have any breakouts anymore. I'm not or ever have been on any other heavy medication tho. I also hope it's age, but I've had skin problems forever, so I figure it's the BCP. Is it proven that if you go off the pill your acne will return? I HOPE NOT!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #3
    smileyface

smileyface HB User
    what is Diane-35? I have never heard of it before.

------------------
    thanks a bunch,
    Smiley

Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
    smileyface

smileyface HB User
    What is Diane-35? I have never heard of it before.

------------------
    thanks a bunch,
    Smiley

Old 05-20-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
    blurr

blurr HB User
    Diane-35 is a birth control pill that is actually marketed for severe acne. In essense, it is acne treatment with birth control properties. There are now studies coming out on it that say that this particular BCP actually causes an increased risk of blood clots, four times that of the regular risk of blood clots...or something like that. I can't remember the exact statistics (1/2500??), but it is scary stuff. This pill is not available in the States, from what I know. I live in Canada, where it is approved as acne control only. You can also get it in New Zealand, Australia, and the UK...as well as online.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:33 PM   #6
    TimDream
    Veteran

TimDream HB User
    Smile

You are right. Diane-35 is not approved for use in the US. I really wouldn't get it off the internet...bypassing a consultation with a doctor could be disasterous!

You could try taking Evening Primrose Oil supplements. This may help to regulate hormones a little. The suggested dosage is 1g 3x a day (one with each meal). However, this doesn't work for everyone.

I'm not sure if there's any sure-fire way to ward off that type of outbreak, unfortunately! Good luck!

Old 05-20-2003, 11:43 PM   #7
    just_imagine

just_imagine HB User
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the increased risk of blood clotting a possible side effect of every birth control pill? I'm not on any BCP right now, but I was in high school, Ortho Tricyclen...and that was the main risk the nurse warned me off, and even showed me how to check for blood clots in my legs. I don't think it's specific to Diane-35...just thought you'd like to know!

Old 05-21-2003, 05:41 AM   #8
    OhMyFace
    Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
    I am on Yasmin and I love it. It has taken me from VERY bad acne to completely clear in 5 months. However, someday I would like to get off of it and start a family and my plan is to go to an endocrinologist and have my hormone levels checked and hopefully find another medication that I can take to help me while I am off the pill....maybe you could go and see your primary care physician and ask for a referral?

Old 05-21-2003, 08:41 AM   #9
    blurr

blurr HB User
    just_imagine:

From what I have been told and have read lately, the risk of blood clots for users of Diane-35 (as I think it is a 3rd generation BCP) is at a risk of 4 to 8 times higher than users of other birth control pills. You can check the internet or ask your doc. Health Canada has issued a warning about this recently, and my doctor brought it to my attention at my last visit (the increased risks of this particular birth control pill). I am torn as to what to do.

[This message has been edited by blurr (edited 05-21-2003).]

Old 05-21-2003, 08:49 AM   #10
    blurr

blurr HB User
    OhMyFace,

Good idea...I will think about doing this in the future. I have had my hormone levels checked in the past, and they were always "normal", but I can't help thinking that the GP's may be missing something. I have always had a problem with irregular periods... maybe there is somethign else there. In the meantime, I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't encounter any health problems and that I will someday get through this. I, too, would like to start a family someday, and I don't want acne to be a concern AT ALL!

Old 05-26-2003, 10:13 PM   #11
    strawberry2003

strawberry2003 HB User
    hello
    i went to one doctor and he would not perscribe it for me. my other doctor said it was not a problem and that there are risks for everything. i guess if you do not have any health problems then you should be safe to take it. for me personally i feel that it is worth the risk and i have had absolutley no side affects from it at all.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:13 PM   #12
    strawberry2003

strawberry2003 HB User
    hello
    i went to one doctor and he would not perscribe it for me. my other doctor said it was not a problem and that there are risks for everything. i guess if you do not have any health problems then you should be safe to take it. for me personally i feel that it is worth the risk and i have had absolutley no side affects from it at all.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:49 PM   #13
    tariel

tariel HB User
    Just wondering... how long did it take for Diane-35 to show some really noticeable effects?
    I've been on it for a month and half, and the last 2 weeks, my skin was looking better, but lately I've broken out again (jawline breakout, so I configure it's mostly hormonal caused)... I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with Diane-35 or simply cuz I'm under extreme exam stress at the mo.

Pls gimme your 2cents' worth, thanks!

Closed Thread