It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• INFLAMED LIPS & ACCUTANE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User
    Question INFLAMED LIPS & ACCUTANE

Its day 5 and last night my lips were incredibly itchy! And now its like swollen!! its inflamed and is realli red and itchy!!!

What can i use?? can i go see a general doctor and get a cream or something? If i go to my dermotologist i have to pay so much money which i am short in that department at the moment!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User
    Re: INFLAMED LIPS & ACCUTANE

aquaphor is really good for dry lips and stuff like that...you dont need a doctor to get it

Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

yes, use aquaphor everytime you remember and maybe a good lip balm to carry in your purse (aquaphor is hard to apply in public because you have to use your fingers to apply it). The most important thing is how often you use it. Aquaphor is rather cheap between $6-8 dollars for a 1.75 oz tube that will probably last you for the lengh of the treatment.

Last edited by lolitazz; 11-29-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

Thanks for your replies!

I don't know if aquaphor is here in Australia, however i am using vaseline.. But my lips are still very itchy and inflamed!! Does it go away or is it going to be like that for the whole course of accutane ?? Thanks!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
    wilmapug
    (female)

wilmapug HB User

I am on day 9 of accutane, and my lips to are also inflamed but not itchy, I just look like I have angelina jolie lips..no complaints there.lol. Canada doesn't seel Aquaphor, but I have been using Blistex Medicated lip conditioner, I slather it on and it does the trick pretty well Hope this helps you!

Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

hehehe! mine look like angelina jolies too!! lol! but mine gets really itchy when i start thinking about it haha! If i look carefully theres like little micro bumps on my lips!! do you have these too?

Old 11-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

today i woke up and my lips have like blisters on them!! its itchy and red and quite dry. I don't know if accutane is responsible.. the thing is since i started using accutane i've been loading my lips with lots of vaseline and sleeping with it on because i was scared my lips were gona go dry very quickly! and i don't normally put on that much.. so do you guys think maybe that could be why? what do you think i should do?.. if i can't use vaseline and my lips go dry.. i'm stuffed -.-

please help...

*VERY LOST*

Last edited by *pig_tails*; 11-30-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
    wilmapug
    (female)

wilmapug HB User

Im on day 16 and I woke up on day 13 and I noticed I had a blister on my bottom lip, I thought it was just a zit, but no..it's a gross nasty ol blister, and also they are peeling like crazy!It hurts! Vaseling doesn't work at all, they dry out in likt 2 mins, I've bought like 5-10 lip chaps in the last week and I swear by the Blistex medicated Lip conditioner with spf 15, it is the only thing that works..although it doesn't cure them I usually apply about twice an hour and they feel good! I hope this helps you pigtails!

Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #9
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)

wiredqs HB User

I think you are having an allergic reaction to the accutane. Rash, hives and swelling of the lips are signs. Give the derm a call....

Old 12-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User

Day 5 seems a little early to be even experiencing dry lips. I would say close to 2 weeks, but I guess everyone is different. I doubt it's the Vaseline causing it, unless of course you are sensitive to Vaseline. Try using something else; Blistex Lip Medex is very good. My suggestion is to call your derm which I'm sure won't cost you any money. Or go show your pharmacist and have them recommend the next step.

Since, we're on this topic, does anyone notice that sometimes there is a white residue on their lips? Hard to explain, but think about on a hot humid day..and white residue can appear on your lips, especially at the corners. I didn't get it my 1st 4 treatments of Accutane. But the last 2 I get this residue daily. Anyone know why this is?

Old 12-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
    wilmapug
    (female)

wilmapug HB User

no im sure its not an allergic reaction, My lips are usually dry as it is, the blister is gone, it only lasted a few days..whew! Thanks god for that! My skin is amazing! It is only day 22, but my face looks great! The redness is not so red and my face is no longer oily, so it looks pretty good! yah! I dont have a white residue on my lips though,maybe it's the humidity where you live, sorry im no help

Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

i used carmex which seemed to do the trick. Lip Balm and Accutane just go hand in hand. Expect to be applying it every 20 mins

Old 12-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wiredqs
    I think you are having an allergic reaction to the accutane. Rash, hives and swelling of the lips are signs. Give the derm a call....
    I strongly disagree with this post. Your just getting the suvere dryness of the lips that is almost guaranteed with accutane. Once you find a good lip balm you will be much better. And before you go to bed really LOAD it on and keep it right beside you at night if you wake up during the night.

One thing I used at night was nivea cream. I LOADED it on at night, and i mean loaded it on and it seem to even still be white when i woke up in teh morning I put so much on loll. However it did get me through the nights then carmex got me though the days.

If i ever forgot my carmex though or ran out of it during the day you can bet i was feeling it FAST.

Closed Thread