It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Tanning Salons

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
    Patriot89
    (female)

Patriot89 HB User
    Tanning Salons

I wasnt sure where to post this but since I've been on this board before (Epidermx lol) I feel most comfortable here. I wanted to start tanning because I am so unbelievably white (my boyfriend calls me glow in the dark) but I haven't started yet because I am skeptical about health-issues in the future. Can anyone inform me on tanning beds and what not? I've been wanting to do this for a while and I have a 2 plus week break coming up from school and wanted to try it then possibly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
    Re: Tanning Salons

Hey Patriot,

I'm glad to hear Epidermx is still working for you! It cleared me up like 95% but to get that to 100% I went on Accutane.. I plan on using the Epidermx again after I am off Accutane to hopefully keep things at bay!

OKay, I am a pretty much a tanning veteran! lol! I love to go tanning, and as far as health concerns go - now a days, EVERYTHING is potentially harmful to your health, heck, even breathing the air outside is supposedly bad for our lungs so you can't live your life in a bubble as far as I am concerned. I would so say go for it.

However, I do take the following supplements to keep my skin healthy while I tan and also for their anti-aging and anti-cancer benefits:

Turmeric (Has anti-inflammatory agents and is specifically used to prevent skin cancer - this is an important one, in my opinion)
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (Good for anti-aging, a really good antioxidant)
    Selenium (One of the best antioxidants you can take - after four years of use, your overall cancer risk for a lifetime reduces by 50%!!)
    Fish Oil (Great for skin health)

You don't HAVE to take supplements while tanning, but like you, I used to worry about the affects of it on my skin and overall health, and so I have found that taking these supplements really eases my mind and at the same time makes me feel healthy.

At a tanning salon, they usually have different "levels" of beds you can use, typically the highest level is the best bed, with the least UVA rays so you have a very slim chance of burning in these beds. Unfortunately, they are usually the most expensive as well. I think that it is worth the investment to at least buy a package within the "mid-level" beds (say the scale is from level 1-4, I would usually go with the 2 or 3... occassionally I would upgrade on a one-time basis to a 4). You'll get a better tan this way, in less time, and with fewer burns (which is the healthy way to go!)

I hope I'm not rambling here... oh and one more thing, make sure to buy a lotion!! Ask one of the sales representatives at the tanning salon to suggest one that is good for your skin type. Lotions keep your skin moist and help you achieve a darker tan that lasts longer! I have found really not a HUGE difference between the expensive ones and not so expensive ones... personally I favor the ones with a "bronzer" in them - they make you look tanner instantly, and it doesn't get on your clothes... also makes your skin have a very pretty shimmer.

Okay well yikes I have written a novel here! haha. Good luck with tanning and I am so happy you are doing well with the Epidermx!

Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
    karen t.

karen t. HB User

Hey, just thought I'd add my two cents, while a tan looks really good and seems to help the acne some by drying up, just be aware how dangerous it is. Like the sun, the tanning beds are just as dangerous, there are rays being penetrated into your body at an intense rate of speed, my 18 year old daughter also thought it looked great, until she got that first mole on her chest that now has to be cut out!!! I was 20 once too, and loved the sun and how that glow looked wonderful, just remember you will be 40 one day with a body full of spots from the sun!!! Sorry, to be downer, just a heads up. With all the medical advances my hope is for one day to find a cure for acne, but then that would put derms out of business wouldn't it????

Old 12-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
    FusionAmber
    (female)

FusionAmber HB User

Just remember, it takes 20 years for the sun spots to show up. I know MANY 40 year olds who wish they could go back in time and not tan because now they have gross brown marks all over their bodies, including their face. Not to mention the cancer risk... Oh and the fact that it thickens the skin, giving it that leathery look and making it harder for pores to stay clear.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Yup I think there was a HUGE thread before on all this "debate" about tanning... like I said, EVERYTHING is bad for you these days..some reports say eating dairy causes cancer, breathing in pollution causes cancer (am I supposed to hold my breath when I go outside now?!), drinking soda causes cancer, I mean, the list goes on and on. I think everyone should just do what they want, what makes them feel good.

You can live your life in a complete bubble, sticking to all the "rules" on good health, and then get struck down by lightning or killed in an automobile accident. I believe that fate is fate, nothing you can really do about it.

I don't drink nor do I smoke.. I exercise, eat a strict diet. I am healthier than 95% of people my age, and tanning I would say is my only vice. Oh well, is what I say!

Thanks for the concern though, it is important for people who don't know the risks to at least know what they are "possibly" getting themselves into.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
    karen t.

karen t. HB User

Cassie, sounds like you're around 22, you will probably be preaching what we are when you are 40. Until then, live life to the fullest and laugh often.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karen t.
    Cassie, sounds like you're around 22, you will probably be preaching what we are when you are 40. Until then, live life to the fullest and laugh often.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
    Abby214
    (female)

Abby214 HB User

I agree with Cassie...everything is bad for you now days!
    I too, am an avid tanner.
    Once you develop a base tan (which you usually have after about 5 visits in a row), then you just have to go once or twice a week to maintain.
    I go twice a week, and use the bed that is "top of the Line" at my Tanning Spa. Check your tanning salon, because at mine, you can buy a basic package for like $20 for a month unlimited, but can upgrade to a higher bed for just a couple of dollars at each session.
    Also, about lotions, I personally think they are a rip off. I think they don't have benefit at all. I have bought lotions from $20 to $65 and couldn't see any difference at all.
    And found the ones with bronzers are more like self tanners, they will stain your hands.
    I suggest if you are going to use a lotion, buy a sample first before investing a big hunk of money on the full size, to see if you like it first.

I think the after tan lotions are most important, to keep your skin soft and moist after tanning and showers. You can also get these at the salon for a cheaper price.

FYI all brands of lotions can be found on a internet auction site for a fraction of Salon cost.

Anyway, this is my 2 cents worth!!
    Abby

Closed Thread