It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Im Sick Of This Dam Skin, Please Help Me As It Has Ruined My Life.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
    Apache2
    (male)

Apache2 HB User
    Im Sick Of This Dam Skin, Please Help Me As It Has Ruined My Life.

Hey all, first of can I just say ive been scanning these forums for useful information on how to clear up my skin condition for a few weeks now. I have taken great comfort knowing im not alone and have learned a few tips and tracks concerning skin care.

Im 17 and am living a Straight Edge lifestyle, which practically means no Alcohol , No Drugs of any sort. However ive been living for the past 2 years in a state of depression due to my skin condition. I went from being an incredible good looking child/teen ( I used to do forms of modelling ) , to pretty much an average horrible facial skin young adult

This is entirely due to my skin having broken out in my final years of high school. I lost the girl of my dreams to some greased up macho man with an over inflated ego as well as my self confidence dropping to the point were I no longer look at people in the eyes while speaking to them. Ive dropped to the point were im afraid I have become suicidal.

My skin consists of open pores , minor black heads among the nose and upper cheeks , pimples have ravaged my cheeks , nose and forehead. And have now sadly have adopted skin so sensitive to the point were it will turn bright red once the thought of somebody looking or talking about me runs through my mind.

My daily wash routine consists of a shower day and night , cleansing the skin with some Garnier products both before and after a shower (donít ask why ) to leaving home made masks consisting of things such as tomato pulp and banana mush on for hours on end. As well as spraying my face nightly with liquids containing such things in them such as Aloe Vera.

I have found an excellent method for removing black heads via opening and cleansings my pores with the use of steamed towels however, my pimples and red skin still remain.

I have used countless products from Garnier and Clearasil toners and cleansers to home made remedies such as applying lemon juice.

Please, any advice to restore my skin to the condition it was years ago would be incredible helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User
    Re: Im Sick Of This Dam Skin, Please Help Me As It Has Ruined My Life.

Im so sorry, i know how you feel. Have you considered accutane at all? It really got a bad rap a few years back but that has been taken away - i am almost half way through accutane and it is wonderful! I had broken out for hormonal reasons ( i am a girl ) but i have had acne since i was about 10 yrs old on and off. I too have been to a point where ending my life was a reality, but i saw a counselor and waited it out and now its all looking up. Try to go to a dermatologist and ask him about accutane or any other meds that could help if you are not comfortable on taking accutane...but it really is a great medicine. Also, i noticed when i used garnier products i broke out more, this may just be me, but once i stopped after a few weeks i noticed it wasnt breaking out so much around where my hair touched. As for the steam towels....they are good and bad. Yes they open your pores and can be easier to get your blackheads to come out, but I have heard and learned it can make sebaceous glands more active and can make your acne itself more prominent and irritated. Steam is not really good for sensitive skin beacuse it can make it red and even more active....which is why i gave up steaming with a hot cloth ( even though it feels good! ) and it got better. Cool water after a shower is good too because it closes the pores. Lastly, dont use so many products!! Your skin is probably confused if you use masks and leave them on for hours....they work for maybe 5-15 mins but after that its just clogging your pores...not good. Also, try to stick with one cleanser ( clearisil is probably fine ) and a moisturizer....thats it. It will be hard for the first few weeks ( again i was like you i did the masks/countless products ) but trust me, once the skin gets into a normal routine without being confused it will get better. good luck and sry for the long post

as far as the girl issue... that was wrong of her, and im sorry to hear that. That was mean of her, but you will find someone even better and more trustworthy soon enough! She didnt deserve you

Last edited by lexla; 01-05-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
    karen t.

karen t. HB User

I know what you are going through, although, I am older then you, trust me, this too shall pass. You may want to change products,and like the last post, less is more. Purpose bar soap, and a fragrance and oil free moisturizer, and bp is what works for many.
    About the girl, if she left you for a jerk, well, perhaps she wasn't all that great to begin with. For some girls it's all about looks, but in the end the looks go away and they end up with a jerk. Keep your head up and good luck.
    If this doesn't work, accutane has worked wonders for many people.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-05-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
    CaliGirl19
    (female)

CaliGirl19 HB User

Hey,
    I also know what you're going through and it bites I know!! I'm a 19 yr old girl who is finally getting some relief from breakouts and acne. When I was about 14 all the way to 17 I had the best looking skin and it stayed clear, it was awesome. But when I turned 18 I started breaking out constantly, it was horrible. I went through a lil over a year like this. I tried everything you can think of and nothing even seemed to help a little bit. I got depressed and tired of it and finally went to the dermatologist about 5 months ago, he prescribed me to a pill called Backtrim, some face cream called Duac Topical gel that you put on every night, and I use Proactiv Acne Solution every morning & night. I've been doing this for 5 months and my face has finally cleared up, i haven't got a breakout in awhile. The only thing I'm trying to get rid of now is a few scars that I have. The Bactrim takes about a month before it really starts working but after a month it's like a miracle. All this has taken away the redness that I had to. Maybe you should try one of these or try using all of them together. I don't know if you like tanning but I'm going to the tanning bed about 2-3 times a week also to make my skin more tan, because being more tan can make flaws less noticable, such as acne or acne scars. Hope I could be of some help, Good Luck!

Last edited by CaliGirl19; 01-06-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
    xNinox
    (male)

xNinox HB User

Quote:
    As well as spraying my face nightly with liquids containing such things in them such as Aloe Vera.

Never put Aloe Vera on your face, it doesnt do ANYTHING positive for acne. It actually can make it worst, with excessive use.

First thing you should do is go to a dermatoligist. I dont know where you live, but in Canada its free to visit one, and you just need to pay $40 for a prescriptional topical cream.

I'm probably in the same boat as you, although my acne has come and gone for 3 years.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xNinox
    go to a dermatoligist. I dont know where you live, but in Canada its free to visit one, and you just need to pay $40 for a prescriptional topical cream.

Wow, I need to go to Canadian dermatologists! lol

Last edited by Cassie4u22; 01-06-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
    thatdarrell
    (male)

thatdarrell HB User

i feel your pain!! i have been suffering with acne for over 12 years. i think that you should try to find a dermatologist so you can get something prescribed instead of over the counter.
    i really hope your acne clears up, b/c it really does rob you of your self-esteem and life.

good luck!!

Old 01-07-2006, 02:24 AM   #8
    nenaw
    (male)

nenaw HB User

I too feel your pain. I'm almost 22 years old, and I started getting moderate to severe acne when I was 15 1/2. It just hit me out of nowhere. I was a very good looking kid in my young teen years. Per the majority of the girls, I was one of the best looking boys in school. I remember I used to go roller skating every weekend, and sometimes I would get a girl that was interested literally moments after walking into the door, wanting a phone number, wanting a couples skate, etc. I was a pimp daddy in my early days. After that, it went down hill. I can't even look people strait in the eyes either when I'm talking to someone, especially a girl. It sucks so bad, and it depresses me as well. I haven't had a girlfriend in years. I had one in High School, but I was shy about my face, and sometimes if I had a gross pimple or a bad breakout, I would make up an excuse to get out of a weekend movie or just whatever. I've tried Meds from the dermatologist (Retin-A, Differin, Deoxycline I believe it was called). I've spent a good thousand + dollars on treatments. I know it sucks, ya just have to hang in there, and hopefully one day you will grow out of it. I hope for the same. Try going to a dermatologist and maybe try out Accutane. I haven't done that yet, but I just might. Right now I'm doing a daily aspirin mask and apple cidar vinegar. It's worth a try IMO, I hear good things about the both. Read up on the threads and try those methods out. Take care.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:41 AM   #9
    bigsista71
    (female)

bigsista71 HB User
    Smile Re: Im Sick Of This Dam Skin, Please Help Me As It Has Ruined My Life.

I feel your pain. A big help for my acne was dealing with 2 major points - a gluten-free diet and intestinal cleansing under a naturopaths supervision. I've dealt with acne for about 20 years and this is the best my skin has ever been. Bowel elimination is really important for removing toxins from you skin. Remeber, your skin is a filter.Also, try using all natural, sensivitive skin products like Dr. Haushka's line of skiin care. It's pricey but definitely worth it. It also really healped me to use All- free detergent and soaps ans shampoos that are dye- free, no sodium laurel sulfate, and that are labeled for allergy prone, sensitive skin. Finally, meditation and stress reducing exercises help too. The more we stress out about it the worse it gets.
    Have you been to a Dr. lately?? Dermatologists seem to treat topically and in my experience it doesn't really seem to help. The problem is internal i think. Hit it from as many angles as you can. Good luck

Old 01-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
    vintagedream
    (female)

vintagedream HB User

never ever try accutane! please! it will only make your face worse! surf the net, and read up on horror stories of accutane before you try one on yourself. there are natural cures to curing acne (although i've been suffering too, still haven't got the energy to do internal cleansing) but there are lots of other alternatives besides accutane. just don't try it.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
    jenl2881
    (female)

jenl2881 HB User
    Cool Re: Im Sick Of This Dam Skin, Please Help Me As It Has Ruined My Life.

I use Acne Complex by Murad, it helps me a lot.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
    karen t.

karen t. HB User

Try washing with Purpose Soap, applying eucerin moisturing lotion and spot treat with bp. Wash only 2 times a day, any more than that will strip your face of natural oils and will actually end up producing more oils thus making more acne. As far as the lotion I only apply it on the real dry spots, on the areas that get oily I don't put it. This seems to work the best for me.

Closed Thread