It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Three courses of Accutane?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
    Gael Alias

Gael Alias HB User
    Question Three courses of Accutane?

Here is my question. About two years ago I finished two courses of Accutane. It was very successful, but after a while it came back. Although it is not nearly as bad as before, I would like to be able to stop using creams, etc. I am currently using tazorac, and tea tree oil and it is keeping it under control. However, I would like to be 100% clear. Has anyone ever done three or more courses of Accutane? If so what were the results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
    Killjoy

Killjoy HB User
    Yeah, I was wondering the same. I've taken accutane twice before but I still break out constantly with large cysts (mostly just on my cheeks) and its totally ruining my life. Gael, just wondering, did you take 2 full courses of accutane for your body weight? I'm asking because my last course wasn't a full course (maybe like 3.5 mo's out of 5) and I don't even think I made it all the way till the end my first time (it was a long time ago - I'm 25 and took my first course when I was about 18, second course finished about a year ago). My derm says that the chance of relapse is far greater if you don't finish the full course. So now I have to seriously consider going on this crazy drug for a third time - this time i'm going all the way to the bitter end if I do.

Old 04-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
    Cav

Cav HB User
    I also went on Accutane twice...both times for 9 months, and I am still having issues 3 years later. From what I know, no doctor will put you on Accutane more than twice because it is too toxic for your body. Two runs of it is the limit.

Old 04-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
    ironjam
    (male)

ironjam HB User
    hey, just a few questions for ya. How long did accutane clear your skin for,b4 it came back? Also, although it came back, it's not as bad as it was before you started accutane, right?
    Have you heard of any1 who accutane cured permantly?

Old 04-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #5
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User
    2 courses of Accutane is NOT the limit. I've done a lot of research on and have never read anything about limiting the amount of vitamins a person can have in the course of their lifetime. I am currently on my third course (in the last 3 years) of Accutane. Both of my previous 2 courses were finished completely, and the 2nd one went longer than normal. The results at this very moment (4months) are the exact same as the first two courses. I am at a dosage of 120mg/day. My body tolerates Accutane very well (minimal side-effects)....which I'm starting to believe is why my acne never goes away. Accutane has only worked for me when I'm on it and the 2 months afterwards. So, in my lifetime, I assume I'll take Accutane probably 4, 5 times. I hope you have better luck me...

[This message has been edited by Andrew29 (edited 04-14-2003).]

Old 04-14-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
    Cav

Cav HB User
    Note to Andrew...Accutane is Not a vitamin. If it were anything near a vitamin, it would not have so many toxic side effects. But, I suppose you are correct in stating that someone can in fact take more than 2 doses of it, since you are speaking from personal experience. But please be careful! Two of my doctors said that I could NOT go on it again because two is the limit. I did not have any negative responses to it either, but they said 3 was not conceivable. Why are you putting yourself through that again if it hasn't worked the first two times anyway?

Old 04-14-2003, 10:48 PM   #7
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User
    Well, it's not an actual vitamin, but technically, Accutane is a derived from vitamin A. The reason there are so many side-effects from Accutane is because of the high doses. You'd get similar (but not exact) results/side-effects if you take high doses of vitamin A. Now, you all will probably wonder, why don't people just take vitmain A? Because people need proper supervision from a doctor (dosages,blood tests, etc.)

Old 05-11-2003, 12:46 AM   #8
    HiMyNameIs

HiMyNameIs HB User
    Question

How much blood do they take out of you for the blood tests?

Old 05-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #9
    slick32

slick32 HB User
    I've been on Accutane 3 times and my acne still came back. I'm trying the Smoothbeam now.

Old 05-11-2003, 01:47 PM   #10
    Jonesy
    (male)

Jonesy HB User
    It's strange that some people who tak extreme doses (ie. well over 100mg a day) seem to say they breeze through it and dont get many side-effects etc. Maybe taking this much creates an immunity really quickly as the body just can't take it, hence the lack of side effects.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:04 PM   #11
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Cav,

Taking mega doses of vitamin A have almost identical "toxic"/side effects as accutane. Just because it is a vitamin does not make it any less toxic (or more) than conventional pharmacological drugs. Furthermore, it is very interesting because Roche doesn't believe a correlation between Accutane and depression; however, there is absolutely no doubt of hypervitaminosis A and it's cause of depression and other neurological effects. The logic behind it is ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:53 PM   #12
    acnesucks

acnesucks HB User
    First, To All: Accutane is a form of retinoic acid. Retinol/retinal (vitamin A) converts to retinoic acid in the body. So Accutane is basically an altered vitamin. Regardless of this fact, don't ever think that vitamins are ok for you in large doses. Infact MOST vitamins and minerals have toxicity levels and can even KILL you. Consult a registered dietician (not a derm of regular doc who know nothing about nutrition) and they can tell you all about it.

Second, for those contemplating many cycles of Accutane. I've used Accutane 4 times in about 8 years. All were high dose and short term (5 to 6 mos). Most remission of acne occurred within 2 years to 1 month after cessation of Accutane. My skin became great while on Accutane though.

My skin still sucks and my derm will no longer prescribe high dose Accutane. HOWEVER, he did just prescribe a low-dose/long-term regimen (40mg on Monday and Thursday X indefinetly). There's no research on this and not many have tried it. I just started it so I can't vouch for it yet.

I will say that I calculated the total mg out and if I stay on this regimen for ~2.5 years I will approx. equal the amount I took in my last high dose regimen. Honestly, this sounds like what I should've done years ago, providing that it works at this low dose. You all may want to ask your derms about this. Mine assures me that Accutane will work at ANY dosage (depending on how you tolerate it and your acne severity); the main reason for the high dose is to hopefully eliminate the acne totally.

This low-dose regimen is supposed to have basically no side effects and, think about it, there's no acute exposure to severe high doses...which sounds safer...10,400mg over 6 mos or 2.5years????

Anyone interested can email me and I'll keep them up to date. I will not be keeping a journal here or posting etc. I'm only here to help others with facts and exact personal results etc., not my "personal opinions".

It's only my first week on this regimen so I will not have anything to report for probably a month or so. My email should be available from this site, if not I'll check back (there are a couple others here in my boat that I'm looking for info from) and post my email address.

Best of luck to all!

Old 05-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #13
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User
    Someone above mentioned how some people who take really high doses of Accutane sometimes have no side-effects. I asked my dermatologist if there is a connection between side-effects and Accutane effectiveness. He did not have a definate answer, but does believe that it is possible. Certain people [probably people with faster metabolisms (like myself)] break down the drug much faster than others. This yields less effectiveness + less side-effects, which = higher doses for those people. I'm on 120mg/day and only suffer from dry eyes + lips. So, my own opinion is that the LESS side-effects you have, the GREATER the chances of acne returning. Any comments?

Old 06-01-2003, 07:25 PM   #14
    Cav

Cav HB User
    Hey...I haven't posted anything for a while...but I thought I'd let you guys know I just invested the ridiculous $1400 in Clear Light. I've had my first two treatments...6 to go.

Closed Thread