It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• The results of Microdermabrasion...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
    plainbagel
    (female)

plainbagel HB User
    The results of Microdermabrasion...

does anyone know if they are permanent? i have a few scars (ice picks, i think) that are very, very light and small that i would like to get rid of in a year. they're not noticeable , but they are there. i just got them recently. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
    Re: The results of Microdermabrasion...

Microdermabrasion is the biggest waste of money! In fact, my dermatologist told me straight up that it is a waste of time and money and that he doesn't even offer it b/c of that fact.

Wish I would have known that sooner - I got microdermabrasion done by a plastic surgeon in my area for some very, very, light scarring. I spent about $500 on 10 treatments, something like that, and there was NO DIFFERENCE in my scars by the 10th treatment. They had taken a before picture of me and on my last day wanted to take an after picture, and I refused b/c I told them I knew I looked the exact same and I felt ripped off. In fact, I think microdermabrasion made my skin look worse - irritated and dry. SUCH a waste of money, I can't go on enough. I felt so badly, b/c my mom spent her own Christmas money for me to get it done and it didn't even do anything.

Of course, this was just my experience... however, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having drastic, eye popping turn arounds from professional microdermabrasion.

I had a bad experience with professional microdermabrasion, but I DID find success (ironically enough - I prob. sound like a hypocrite now!) with Epiderm microdermabrasion CREAM, and Epiderm Camellia Oil. It took about 6 months, but my scars DID noticably improve.. in fact, they are nearly gone. Plus, the Epiderm products are MUCH, MUCH, cheaper than the treatments at a derm office.

I don't mean to plug Epiderm all the time, but their products truly are amazing, for acne and scarring. I have never had so much with success with a skin line in my life! (and trust me, I've tried about every skin care line there is and more!).

Good luck~!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User

I agree with Cassie. All of my 5 deep indents on the forehead are almost 100% filled in after using Silkia camellia oil and Epidermx, though those immediately above my upper lip are not filled in significantly yet - but they do look much better and smoother, I only need a little concealer there. I think you would see faster results since your scars are very small.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

I'm wondering if you think micro-dermabrasion has any effect on acne control? My daughter is going for skin treatments now and they do chemical peel and microdermabrasion. Do you think she should just get the peels?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom
    I'm wondering if you think micro-dermabrasion has any effect on acne control? My daughter is going for skin treatments now and they do chemical peel and microdermabrasion. Do you think she should just get the peels?
    Yikes, I wouldn't recommend it. I was getting chemical peels (at first) along with my microdermabrasion and I did have some active acne. The aestician performing on me said it would help the acne - later on, after getting many second opinions, I learned that is about the worst thing you can do for acne!!!

The chemical peels left me with red, scaly "burn" patches on various parts of my face. I looked in the mirror after my second treatment and just started crying and told the woman NO MORE CHEMICAL PEELS! I did go on with the microdermabrasion, however, which didn't make my skin worse but also didn't make it any better. Mind you, I was getting these procedures done at the office of one of the most well-known plastic surgeon's in the entire midwest. Written up in many, many, medical and plastic surgery journals, so this wasn't b/c of an untrained staff that I had the bad experience that I did.

Everyone is different, however, my experience was pretty bad and I wouldn't ever recommend it.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

i got microdermabrasion done for about a year last year and loved it....it was good on my stubborn skin. I always left smoother and any acne i had when i went would go away quicker. i dont think it is significant in acne control, but for afterwards for like scarring etc it is good. Each person is different with treatments, and in my case i loved it and will use it again

Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
    anachron
    (male)

anachron HB User

It is not permanent. If you get it weekly for months it does help with skin tone and etc but if you stop you go back to your old skin.

Closed Thread