It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My Fraxel Updates ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 AM   #16
    turbonamja
    Veteran

turbonamja HB User
    Re: My Fraxel Updates ...

Westlake dermatology is where I go and I have seen an improvement on my skin texture. I don't know how severe your scars were but mine were not bad and I had some skin pigmentation issues where big cystic acne used to be back in the day. This has definitely been helping a lot but I believe that getting a cool touch treatment in b/w my fraxels has increased the effects. I go in for my fourth cool touch this next week b/c I just got my third fraxel yesterday. My gf has told me that she could tell that my pores shrunk and that my texture of the skin looked more refined and less oily. See how many kilojoules they are using on your face, they have used 8kj the last two times I believe. Whatever it was, IT HURT. No pain no gain though. If you want a referral, I can tell you who to contact. Does your insurance cover Fraxels?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #17
    turbonamja
    Veteran

turbonamja HB User

It's day 4 since my third Fraxel and my face is peeling like crazy. Must be working but I got a couple of new pimples but that was caused by shaving prior to the treatment. My face is still red but hopefully that will go away after today. One bad thing about Fraxels is that it leaves you red like you just got sunburned from skiing or something ..

Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #18
    suecarlson
    (female)

suecarlson HB User

Turbonamja--I'll be at Westlake Dermatology for my first Fraxel tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10 a.m. for the numbing creme--wish me luck! I'm going to ask about joule strength. Your posts have been very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by suecarlson; 01-31-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
    suecarlson
    (female)

suecarlson HB User

I had my first Fraxel last Wednesday. The pain was bad during the procedure and for about an hour after, but after that no pain. However, I don't remember reading or hearing about the swelling. I went to work directly after the procedure because my face was merely (very) red. It started swelling toward that afternoon and by Thursday morning was as swollen as my skin would allow. It stayed like that through Friday. I didn't go to work on Thursday or Friday. On Saturday the swelling started to go down. Now (Monday) it is only slightly swollen. My face is still blotchy/red, however. I don't expect it to be normal-looking for another several days--probably not until just before my next treatment on Feb. 16. Turbonamja--I asked about joules. The technician said he was setting up the machine to be 20 millijoules. I forgot to follow through and ask the doctor if that is what he used. A millijoule is 1/1000th of a joule. A kilojoule is 1000 joules. Are you sure you had 8 KILOjoules? I'll post the results of my Feb. 16 session.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
    suecarlson
    (female)

suecarlson HB User

Second fraxel update but not much to tell. Less swelling this time, but I had a different person do it this time. The first time I asked for the doctor. This time a technician did it. The technician didn't seem to go over where he had gone before as much as the doctor did. Also, there was less pain during the procedure. I don't know if that's because I started with numbing creme at home or because the technician went over my face fewer times. I'm still slightly swollen and so can't tell if the scars on my cheeks have gotten better. I don't when I'll be able to tell if I've gotten the results I want--maybe not until a while after the fourth treatment. If there's anything interesting about my third treatment around the first of March I'll post it. Turbonamja--have you got more to post about your results?

Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 AM   #21
    turbonamja
    Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suecarlson
    Second fraxel update but not much to tell. Less swelling this time, but I had a different person do it this time. The first time I asked for the doctor. This time a technician did it. The technician didn't seem to go over where he had gone before as much as the doctor did. Also, there was less pain during the procedure. I don't know if that's because I started with numbing creme at home or because the technician went over my face fewer times. I'm still slightly swollen and so can't tell if the scars on my cheeks have gotten better. I don't when I'll be able to tell if I've gotten the results I want--maybe not until a while after the fourth treatment. If there's anything interesting about my third treatment around the first of March I'll post it. Turbonamja--have you got more to post about your results?
    Hey Suecarlson,
    Good to have a person from Austin getting the Fraxels done too. I will ask the next time around about how strong my procedures were done at, but right now I forget exactly. I went through all 4 and I am currently off the Fraxels now. I am up for one more cool touch, probably in two weeks. The results have been really pleasing to me. I am happy I did it and I have seen results. The Dr. told me that I will continue to have increased collagen growth for up to 5 months which is great. I just had it done about a week and a half ago and you can barely see where it was done by the outlines from my face. The scars have diminished, pores are smaller, pigmentation issues are almost extinct ... good stuff. I might start doing some vitalize peels to keep up the regiment so I can have flawless skin, I think I am getting addicted haha. It's probably because I haven't had this great of skin in a long time.

I am very surprised you went back to work. I swelled up almost an hour after and my face was severly red. You must have a better threshold for pain than I do haha. Keep us updated on your progress and I wish you the best!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #22
    suecarlson
    (female)

suecarlson HB User

Hey Turbonamja. I got the scoop on millijoules vs. kilojoules. They set the machine to deliver so many millijoules in (I guess) each laser pulse, but they measure the total amount of energy delivered in kilojoules. The doctor I had this time said they shoot for between 6 and 7 kilojoules, so if you got 8 kilojoules, you go guy. This last time I asked her to max out what she thinks I should have on my face, and I wouldn't have wanted her to deliver any more energy. My "score" was 6.something kilojoules. I was as red and swollen after this third one as I was the first one and wasn't fit for public view for 3 days afterward. I was OK to go out on the 4th day. I still can't say I see a lot of improvement, but I see my face every day and didn't have anything dramatic that needed fixing. As I said before, I'll have to see my before and after photos to compare. I'm still red, but I think the brownish sun damage marks on my forehead might be pretty much gone. I'm sure my 4th treatment in mid-March will not be interesting enough to report, so I'll wait until my before and after photos in May or June.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 AM   #23
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Turbonamja,
    How much does the cooltouch cost? Also, is it supposed to help you get rid of future acne or just help the appearance of your skin? Thanks

Old 03-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #24
    suecarlson
    (female)

suecarlson HB User

johnsmith007: I have the price list and cool touch brochure in front of me. I'm in Austin, Texas. My clinic charges $1000 for 4 treatments (my price card is about 6 weeks old). The brochure says "You will notice significant reduction of acne and improvement in appearance of acne scars...through a series of treatments, and follow-up visits may be required to prolong your improvements." It also says this: "Typically, it takes more than one treatment to achieve the optimum level of improvement. On average, patients receive 3-6 treatments at monthly intervals." Maybe this is not too helpful. I hope someone who has received cooltouch treatments responds. I'd like to be able to recommend them to someone where I work. (Turbonamja also had Fraxel treatments along with cooltouch, but maybe he has the info you need.)

Old 03-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #25
    curiousP
    Veteran
    (female)

curiousP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbonamja
    Hey everyone,

A few of the board members have found my posts on this laser treatment insightful, so I will start up a new one since the last one has gone pretty far.

So far I have gotten 2 of them done. Yesterday was number 2 and they up'd the kilo joules on the intensity. It hurt. Hahaha. Man did it hurt. My face is still swollen but the pain has subsided. After the first treatment my skin was looking really good. I was on accutane the previous year and it left me with some slight scarring. This was the best option on getting rid of that according to my dermatologist. I will post more results when the redness and swelling go down.

I am also getting cool touches done in b/w my fraxels to help out with breakouts. I have had one new (just one!) pimple and that went away after one day. I have had 2 cool touches so far as well. Seems the treatments are working good. I'll keep everyone updated.
    so you still break out after the accutane? is it as bad as it used to be? So is the cool touch still keeping it at bay if you are?

Old 06-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #26
    suecarlson
    (female)

suecarlson HB User

I had my last of 4 Fraxel treatments in mid-March. I was told that I would improve for several months following the last treatment. This is my last update. I had this done because of slight scarring on my cheeks and to look 10 years younger (as the ad said). I still have slight scarring, and I don't know if I look 10 years younger. However, I'm told by others that there is a difference. I believe I look as if I've been "photoshopped," as another ad says. My skin is slightly smoother. Other than that, I still have some brownish sun damage patches on my forehead, and, as I mentioned, the minor acne scarring on my cheeks. I didn't have any other procedure along with the Fraxels. The ad said this is the best treatment for acne scarring, but there must be something better than this. I wouldn't do it again for that. I would do it again if only so I will never regret having done it and because I do believe my face looks a little better. But no great improvement, and I probably don't look 10 years younger (I'm 59). If someone asked me for my advice about getting rid of acne scarring and looking 10 years younger, I'd say find a better way. Sue

Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #27
    Passions
    (male)

Passions HB User

Great. Thanks for the updates. I'm looking to get Fraxel done myself.

Last edited by Passions; 07-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #28
    dixiepeep
    (female)

dixiepeep HB User

getting fraxel done tomorrow. first treatment. I am really nervous!!

Closed Thread