HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   My Fraxel Updates ... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/356501-my-fraxel-updates.html)

turbonamja 01-12-2006 02:16 PM

My Fraxel Updates ...

Hey everyone,

A few of the board members have found my posts on this laser treatment insightful, so I will start up a new one since the last one has gone pretty far.

So far I have gotten 2 of them done. Yesterday was number 2 and they up'd the kilo joules on the intensity. It hurt. Hahaha. Man did it hurt. My face is still swollen but the pain has subsided. After the first treatment my skin was looking really good. I was on accutane the previous year and it left me with some slight scarring. This was the best option on getting rid of that according to my dermatologist. I will post more results when the redness and swelling go down.

I am also getting cool touches done in b/w my fraxels to help out with breakouts. I have had one new (just one!) pimple and that went away after one day. I have had 2 cool touches so far as well. Seems the treatments are working good. I'll keep everyone updated.

plainbagel 01-12-2006 04:33 PM

Re: My Fraxel Updates ...

did you scars improve after having 2 fraxels? what kind of scars do/did you have?

turbonamja 01-12-2006 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=plainbagel]did you scars improve after having 2 fraxels? what kind of scars do/did you have?[/QUOTE]

I had small scars and pigmentation issues around the jawline where I broke out back in the good ol' days really bad. I just got my 2nd fraxel yesterday so my face is still red and I can't see anything but RED haha. I will let you know how it is. Usually, they say 4-5 treatments will give you tremendous results. Do a search on google or yahoo for before and after pics.

anachron 01-13-2006 07:35 AM

How long does the blue dye stay on your face? Can you go out the next day?

turbonamja 01-13-2006 11:32 AM

Man honestly, I didn't want to go out the next day. Hahaha. It is pretty much day 3 and all the blue dye has finally gone away and it looks like I just came back from a skiing trip to tell you the truth. I will probably go out later on today and do some errands but you are supposed to stay out of the sun anyways. It doesn't matter to me because there are so many pro's vs. con's to fraxel such as wrinkle reduction, skin radiance, acne scar reducer, on and on. So it's worth it to me.

anachron 01-15-2006 03:02 AM

Realistically how much time should you spend indoors after the procedure? Is it very blue? Like do people look at you when you are leaving the clinic???????????

plainbagel 01-15-2006 06:19 PM

turbonamja, do you know if the results of fraxel are permanent (meaning the scars won't come back slowly)? thanks.

turbonamja 01-16-2006 03:38 PM

anachron, the reason why the blue tint is still on the face after the procedure, is because you pretty much took off a part of your skin it feels like so the skin is verrrry sensitive to the touch. so you can't wash your face and scrub to get it off. you have to gently wash off, so in effect, the blue tint will not come off easily. you have to keep washing gently until it starts to feel better and then eventually the blue tint will come off. took several days for me for the blue to completely go away. there was not too many people there at the clinic so not a lot looked at me but i didnt care because it hurt too much hahahhaha ... so i just kept walking with an ice pack on my face to calm the swelling caused by it. my face is looking real good right now and you can still see where it was done on but the redness fades well and looks like a bronze tint like you tanned after a week or so... hope that helps.

plainbagel, they told me they are permanent. of course over time, wrinkles and age spots will probably come with age, but the acne scars should not come back. my scars are noticably getting better and getting smaller. hopefully it gets better on my last two fraxel appointments.

suecarlson 01-16-2006 04:06 PM

turbonamja: Thanks so much for your posts. I'm in Austin as well and will have my first Fraxel on Feb. 1 and then three more every two weeks thereafter. I sure hope that I can go to work the same or next day--I was planning on it. I didn't know that the blue would still be there, though. Rats. Do you have another treatment before February 1?

anachron 01-16-2006 07:02 PM

Turbo: I see what you mean but I guess I cannot go to the mall or do my groceries right after then? I am trying to guess how bad the blue tint is on the face...like is it you-look-ill-blue or smurf blue?

amy07 01-16-2006 08:32 PM

Hey all, I know I've been lagging on the fraxel updates....so I'll get y'all up to date with my situation. I have had 3 fraxels so far. Honestly, I can't see a HUGE difference in my skin. I have scarring on my cheeks...some areas deeper than others. About the blue dye thing....I get most of it off before I leave the doctor's office. The nurses give me dawn soap and some gauze to wash it off, which works pretty well. Of course its hard to get all of it off right then, but i've never had it still on my face the next day. However, the redness does last about 5 days for me. After this past treatment, I actually went out the next day, to my surprise, since i get so self conscious about it. I don't know when I'll be able to get another treatment though, as I've been getting them done in Houston, and I live in Austin.

anachron 01-17-2006 11:27 PM

What level are you doing? maybe you are not doing it high enough? Overall, I have heard people get good results from fraxel after the 3rd.....next time go higher and see if you see a difference. Good luck

anachron 01-22-2006 10:38 AM

Just wondering how you guys are doing

turbonamja 01-22-2006 11:53 PM

Hey Amy, I live in Austin as well, any reason why you go to Houston? My skin has not looked any better in years. I am really happy with the results and I am going in for my 3rd Fraxel this upcoming Wed. The second one really hurt ... they turned it up to about 8 kilojoules. Hurt like hell. I will keep you guys posted

amy07 01-23-2006 02:20 PM

I get it done in Houston bc of a referral. I don't ever know what levels they are doing the Fraxel treatments on, I'll have to ask next time. But this will be my 4th treatment, and I can't say thus far its been worth it. Do you know if the skin is supposed to get better progessively, like throughout the year or are you supposed to see results within the first few days after? It is kind of a pain to find time on my schedule to go back to Houston to get them done though.

turbonamja 01-26-2006 02:50 AM

Westlake dermatology is where I go and I have seen an improvement on my skin texture. I don't know how severe your scars were but mine were not bad and I had some skin pigmentation issues where big cystic acne used to be back in the day. This has definitely been helping a lot but I believe that getting a cool touch treatment in b/w my fraxels has increased the effects. I go in for my fourth cool touch this next week b/c I just got my third fraxel yesterday. My gf has told me that she could tell that my pores shrunk and that my texture of the skin looked more refined and less oily. See how many kilojoules they are using on your face, they have used 8kj the last two times I believe. Whatever it was, IT HURT. No pain no gain though. If you want a referral, I can tell you who to contact. Does your insurance cover Fraxels?

turbonamja 01-28-2006 09:53 AM

It's day 4 since my third Fraxel and my face is peeling like crazy. Must be working but I got a couple of new pimples but that was caused by shaving prior to the treatment. My face is still red but hopefully that will go away after today. One bad thing about Fraxels is that it leaves you red like you just got sunburned from skiing or something .. :rolleyes:

suecarlson 01-31-2006 08:15 AM

Turbonamja--I'll be at Westlake Dermatology for my first Fraxel tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10 a.m. for the numbing creme--wish me luck! I'm going to ask about joule strength. Your posts have been very helpful. Thanks.

suecarlson 02-06-2006 10:33 AM

I had my first Fraxel last Wednesday. The pain was bad during the procedure and for about an hour after, but after that no pain. However, I don't remember reading or hearing about the swelling. I went to work directly after the procedure because my face was merely (very) red. It started swelling toward that afternoon and by Thursday morning was as swollen as my skin would allow. It stayed like that through Friday. I didn't go to work on Thursday or Friday. On Saturday the swelling started to go down. Now (Monday) it is only slightly swollen. My face is still blotchy/red, however. I don't expect it to be normal-looking for another several days--probably not until just before my next treatment on Feb. 16. Turbonamja--I asked about joules. The technician said he was setting up the machine to be 20 millijoules. I forgot to follow through and ask the doctor if that is what he used. A millijoule is 1/1000th of a joule. A kilojoule is 1000 joules. Are you sure you had 8 KILOjoules? I'll post the results of my Feb. 16 session.

suecarlson 02-21-2006 10:10 AM

Second fraxel update but not much to tell. Less swelling this time, but I had a different person do it this time. The first time I asked for the doctor. This time a technician did it. The technician didn't seem to go over where he had gone before as much as the doctor did. Also, there was less pain during the procedure. I don't know if that's because I started with numbing creme at home or because the technician went over my face fewer times. I'm still slightly swollen and so can't tell if the scars on my cheeks have gotten better. I don't when I'll be able to tell if I've gotten the results I want--maybe not until a while after the fourth treatment. If there's anything interesting about my third treatment around the first of March I'll post it. Turbonamja--have you got more to post about your results?