It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Differin Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
    arny7
    (male)

arny7 HB User
    Differin Questions

ok i have a couple questions here.. I use differin cream and i am just wondering waht the difference is between gel and cream and which works better if there is a difference?

I have been using the cream for about 12 days and i apply it on at night time before i go to bed.. The first week i used the cream my acne got pretty bad which i understand it was supposed to because your acne is just getting used to the cream and stuff. At the 10th day my acne around the top of my mouth had went away and some of the acne around the other places of my mouth were slowly going away. The thing i dont get is differin is supposed to unclog poors or soemthing and i just dont get why this morning i got 4 pimples right on the top of my mouth where it had gone away? I meen i put cream on that spot every night and i jsut dont understand why i had this break out? I also see some incoming ones that look like they will form in a couple of days. So my question is- Did any of you other poeple using differin have this same problem? and if so can u please reply and tell me.

The other question i have for differin users is what kind of combo do you use with the differin cream because i don't use anything else other than my cetaphil gentle cleanser in the morning and night. Im just wondering if there is a good combo that someone is using and is helping them while using differin. Please reply and tell me some of the stuff you use. Thanks alot.

Last edited by arny7; 02-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
    yinyang

yinyang HB User
    Re: Differin Questions

I've been using Differin cream & Duac (differin at night & duac in morning). I also use Cetaphil face wash. This combo has been really helpful for me b/c i think the differin unclogs your pores & the duac kills the bacteria. Before i started the Duac I was using differin & cetaphil by itself & it didn't work all that great until I switched the cetaphil for an acne wash. maybe you should try that if your skin isn't too sensitive.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
    arny7
    (male)

arny7 HB User

I have never heard of duac before.. is it a washer or is it a pad or what? and where can you get it?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
    yinyang

yinyang HB User

Hi Arny,

You have to go to the derm to get a prescrip for it. It's another topical gel that you put on your face in the morning & it has really helped my oily skin. My face got really red @first, but has calmed down quite a bit since. Using it along with the differin i would definately recommend. I still get breakouts, but not nearly as bad as before.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
    skin is my life
    (female)

skin is my life HB User

One of the big problems with differin is that it drys out the surface without taking care of the underlying problem. If true acne (cystic) than you might need need something like accutane but I have found that so many of my clients are suffering from blackheads and surface acne and Dermotologists are not reccomending extractions. No drug will eliminate blackheads, they need to be extracted carefully. skincare has been my life for years and I have 3 teenagers so I have lots of experience in this area.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
    arny7
    (male)

arny7 HB User

Skin is My life... Have you prescribed differin for any of your mild acne patients and if so did there acne get better after 4-8weeks or so?

Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
    CreditQueen
    (female)

CreditQueen HB User

To answer your initial question, the gel form is stronger than the cream form in the Differin, and if you have never been on anything before this, maybe your derm prescribed the weaker one for you. As with any of this stuff, it will take several weeks(12) for you to see any results. New blemishes coming out were there to begin with and the medication is bringing them out.

I used Differin gel for about 10 weeks along with Clindamycin topical in the morning. It was not strong enough for me and my cystic acne. I have recently changed to a plan of oral antibiotic, Duac(which I really think is helping alot) in the morning and Tazorac cream at night. The first few days I did get the redness and drying but I am applying a light moisturizer called Complex 15 if I feel dry. I know people here do not like bar soaps but I am using Basis for sensitive skin and I like it alot. It is mild and my therapy is strong so I need a mild cleanser.

Good luck with the Differin. Be patient and give it time to work.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
    arny7
    (male)

arny7 HB User

Credit Queen i am currently using differin cream at night and in the morning i use cetaphil gentle cleanser and at night before i put the differin cream on.. Now do you think that is enough or do i need to add something else in like another cream or some type of pad in the morning? please tell me some over the counter products that would be good for me in the morning and work good with differin.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

When i was on differin gel the derm recommended i use a soap like cetaphil in the morning that was all.Since the differin didnt work for me,she put me on retin-a micro whick did the trick for me.Apparently the differin wasnt strong enough for me.Now ive been on retin-a micro for bout a yr,and i rarely get a pimple and if i do it disappears in a day or two.Good luck with the differin cos the retin-a micro is more expensive.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
    CreditQueen
    (female)

CreditQueen HB User

Hi arny,

No, I don't think you shold be going to the drugstore and adding anything on your own to your therapy plan. Beleive me, I am always searching the aisles for new stuff, and I have to stay out of there! Look, use your Cetaphil, or any other mild cleanser of your choice( and it really is your choice as long as it is mild). Personally, Cetaphil will not cleanse my face well enough because I am a female who wears make up.
    Don't start adding other drugstore products that may contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, alpha hydroxy acids, or anything else while you are on your prescription Differin. These products may just increase your chance of potential adverse effects like dryness and peeling. Your acne was assessed by your doctor, Im sure you go back for a follow up soon. It sounds like if the Differin was all that was prescribed, your acne may be on the mild to moderate side?? It sounds like it's only been roughly 3 weeks, so you need some time on it as I said before. The only thing I ever really play around with (switching sometimes) is my cleanser due to change in seasons in the northeast and assessing how my skin feels at the time. Anyhow, I wish you luck and hang in there!

Old 02-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
    arny7
    (male)

arny7 HB User

thx alto credit queen.. you answered my question and yes i have been on the differin cream for 2 weeks and i just had another break out but i guess i just have to stay calm and see if it will work in 4 or mroe weeks. Good thing im on a school break right now 5 more days left on break before sschool starts up again and i hope my pimples go down by then. oh yeah credit queen.. one mroe question.. if this differin cream isnt working should i go see my doctor and ask for accutane or a different thing because i want a back up plan. I also have really bad acne on my forehead but people cant see it cuz i have a shag

Last edited by arny7; 02-15-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #12
    kwitter
    (female)

kwitter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arny7
    I have never heard of duac before.. is it a washer or is it a pad or what? and where can you get it?
    it's bp and clyndamicin combined in a cream...or spot treatment. Very expensive too.

Last edited by kwitter; 02-16-2006 at 06:25 AM.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #13
    kwitter
    (female)

kwitter HB User

Oh and I have also hear the gel is for oilier skin and the cream is for dry/normal skins.....if that helps.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
    CreditQueen
    (female)

CreditQueen HB User

Hey arny,

I'm sorry you are seeing new erruptions pop up b4 school gets back in. It's so frustrating and quite depressing for all of us and you just want it to STOP already! You have taken the first steps in seeing a doctor and having them evaluate your acne. When is your follow up? If it is not for a while, you can always call in your concerns by phone and see what they say.

Accutane next??? That is a VERY strong medication for VERY severe cases and along with it comes many side effects. There are SO many other lesser effective prescriptions out there and you and your derm won't know what's right for you until you try them. I was always told that accutane was kinda a last resort medication. Stuff out there works if people give them the time they need to work. Your situation may be one where an oral antibiotic may be needed along with your Differin.

My suggestion is to continue with what you are using and when you have a chance read, read, read, what people have said on these boards. You get alot of insight here. Take what you read with a grain of salt.....we are all not doctors here , just people sharing information on a problem we all have. Take care!

Old 02-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
    arny7
    (male)

arny7 HB User

hey credit queen.. yeah i just went to my family doctor and he just gave me differin but he didnt say a follow up i dont think? i guess i just will call in if my acne isnt getting better but yeah i dont think i will need accutane ever unless is get very bad which i dont think it will.. but can you recommend some other creams to try if this one doesnt work.. lol and yeah im pretty much obsessed right now with reading stuff on the web cuz thats all ive been thinking about but why not? eveeryone wants to get rid of there acne and get there confidence back into them so they can face people will clear skin!

Oh yeah and credit queen i have another question here.. K i have 3 older brothers... i am the youngest of them all at 15.. second youngest is 17 i believe, then 20 i think, then 23.. when i look in pictures of them when they were in teenage years they didnt have acne and my second youngest bro doesnt have any acne accept a couple of pimples.. i guess i have had it the worst but i was thinking.. should my acne be going away soon here? they didnt have it so should that meen i shouldnt have it? i thought acne runs in the family?

Last edited by arny7; 02-16-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Closed Thread