It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Does Proactive Solution really work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
    Kulta
    (female)

Kulta HB User
    Does Proactive Solution really work?

I heard it's great and thinking about buying some for my daughter, but it's a little pricey, so thought I'd ask here first......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
    amy2705
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

amy2705 HB User
    Re: Does Proactive Solution really work?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kulta
    I heard it's great and thinking about buying some for my daughter, but it's a little pricey, so thought I'd ask here first......
    I personally think it's a waste of money. Although some people here have said it works, I'm not one of them (and I think I'm in the majority on this). A lot of people have said not only does it not work, but it makes things worse (that was certainly the case for me).

I used it for months on end ... especially since everytime I tried to cancel the shippments the people who answered would assure me that it was a matter of time and/or I wasn't using it right (please, I can read and follow instructions!). In any case, after months and months, I stopped using it and have to say, I wouldn't wish the stuff on my worst enemy.

Try searching on the board for some of the previous threads on Proactive to see what people have been saying. Search both "proactiv" and "proactive" to see the full list.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
    dsobz
    (female)

dsobz HB User

I have been suffering from acne on and off again in my twenties. I notice that when I have tried some new product, or go off of the Proactiv for a period of time, that is when I break out. I went off of it this past year since my skin had cleared up tremendously. It was only a matter of time and I began having regular breakouts again. This last one was pretty bad, so I went back to Proactiv and my skin is looking it's best again. I do believe that there are OTC treatments that will work just the same, since Proactiv is basicly a BP treatment; however, with my busy schedule and frustration with trying different things, Proactiv works best for me. I use the toner followed by the repairing lotion religously every night. In the mornings I use Camelia Oil to moisturize then the repairing lotion on pimples under my makeup. The only reason I really stopped was because I kept hearing how it can damage your skin. Honestly, I have been using Proactiv now for about 3 years and my skin still looks young and healthy.I really just think you have to avoid your eyes, other than that I don't see any long term damage. I recently started using their sulfur mask after that big breakout and it really cleared up my skin even faster. I use it now when I feel a zit coming on and the zit never really amounts to anything. Even my red marks are fading, but that may be contributed to the Camelia Oil. The only other advice I have is to definitly use a moisturizer every day and SPF when in the sun. I'm sure there are cheaper ways, but really I only spend about $100/year on it since I don't need shipments as frequently. The stuff lasts quite a while. It's nice just to have two products to use every night and know I don't have to run around drugstores trying new things.
    Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
    lemondrop
    (female)

lemondrop HB User

I tried it and it seemed to work at first but then after about a year, it seemed to stop. But during the time I used it, I don't recall being particularly thrilled with my skin. So it made my skin better, but it wasn't perfect and evenutally, it didn't work at all.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
    FoodAddictee
    (female)

FoodAddictee HB User

waste of money. go with a cheap aspirin mask

Old 02-20-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
    Dan_Sims
    Inactive
    (male)

Dan_Sims HB User

Kulta, its a waste of money.
    Its just marketing and people being fooled by it.
    The main incredient in Proactiv is benzoyl peroxide.
    When I tried Proactiv I started breaking out like crazy.
    My face totally reacted badly to benzoyl peroxide.

The best product for acne is Doxycycline.
    You got to get this prescribed from a derm.
    Doxycycline will control the oil your body is producing and bring down your face and body acne and stop it from growing.
    There's 2 versions of doxycycline. One version costs 25 dollars and another version which is called Dorf, costs 162 dollars.
    The one thats 162 dollars is the pure form version.
    My pharmacist said there basically the same thing.
    I get the one that's 25 dollars.
    If you have health insurance, it will cost even less.
    Its 25 dollars without any health insurance.

There is no shelf product you can buy that will stop the acne from growing.
    Only an anti biotic will stop it.
    The Doxycycline is 30 pills. Get the version thats 100 mg.
    Take one pill a day.

If you have face acne.
    I would also recommend the Biore cream with 2% Salicylic Acid.
    I would definitely tell you to get a cleanser with 2% Salicylic Acid.

Then use, Dove essential nutrients Toner.
    This is a great Toner.
    It has Green Tea, Vitamin A, E, B5 and Zinc. Its a non alcohol toner and non comedogenic. Leave the toner on. Dont wash it off.

Then use, Neutrogena multi vitamin acne treatment. Its a lotion with lots of vitamins and salicylic acid. You just leave it on your face. Dont wash it off. This lotion worked great for help bringing down my acne.

But definitely get the Doxycyline.
    Its by far the best product for getting rid of acne.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
    utopia77
    (female)

utopia77 HB User

I agree. It does seem to work for a while, but as with a lot of other medications the effect tends to wear off. I suffered from acne for over 12 years and tried all types of medications and lotions but the only thing that worked for me at the end of the day was Benzoyl Peroxide. I now have lovely smooth skin that very rarely breaks out. I personally think that all these medications etc. are just a way of making money when a cure has been available all along. It's simple, she should wash her face with a mild cleanser like Neutrogena and then apply a layer of BP. Of course it's really important to moisturise and skin irritation can occur in the beginning. But stick with it and I promise you'll soon see results.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
    Deena_05
    (female)

Deena_05 HB User

Hey,

Well, I'm 19 and I've had acne for about 4 years. I don't have severe acne, in fact, they're just little pimples on my forehead...if your daughter has something like that, it will more than likely work. It worked for me amazingly. If she has severe acne, it's probably a different story. Everyone is different though, so you may want to try it for a while. If your daughter starts to look better after using up the product, then don't buy it again and try something else. It's always worth the shot.

Last edited by Deena_05; 02-20-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
    beatboxkid
    (male)

beatboxkid HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Does Proactive Solution really work?

personally I would give it a miss, that stuff seems really bad for you're skin and it made my eyes sore and blood shot....

i hear it does work for some people, but only short term.......... for most people there acne usually comes back even worse!!

personally would give it a miss

Old 02-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
    moodygirl87
    (female)

moodygirl87 HB User

I hated Proactiv as well. It didn't necessarily make my skin worse, it just didn't make it better either. I am 18 and I can probably relate to your daughter. I used to use Neutrogena acne wash because my dermatologist recommended it and it worked wonders for me. Of course different things work for different people, but that worked. Now I use the Clinque liquid soap (it's brand new) and it is amazing and makes my skin so soft. I don't think it has anything for acne in it but it has really cleared up my skin anyway so I don't think some things that are meant for acne work anyway so you might just want to go with a gentle cleanser and toner. i also use the clinique claryifying lotion as well if you don't mind spending a little extra cash.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
    lburke71
    (female)

lburke71 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Does Proactive Solution really work?

I have had fantastic results with Proactive- however, i do use it only once a day and sometimes every other day if my face feels a tad dry. I have battled cystic acne for years and it has cleared me up except for the few i get during my monthly cycle. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
    dsobz
    (female)

dsobz HB User

I agree. Had cystic acne at a younger age and then just good old acne all over as I got older. Proactiv worked for me, but I do not use the cleanser. Instead I use Cetaphil or Eucerin. I do agree that what makes it work is the exfoliant(toner) then the bp afterwards. Proactiv uses glycolic acid(AHA) which worked better for me than Saycilic(BHA) and BP. But the sulfur mask by far has cleared up existing acne for me better than anything I've used, even the aspirin mask.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
    kHan artist
    (male)

kHan artist HB User

I used proactiv for over year. It helped control the acne for me, but I NEVER was happy with my skin. It wasn't as dry as it is now for me, but my skin was always red and inflammed looking. It stopped working for me forcing me to look for a new acne fighting solution. After i stopped proactiv, I had the WORST breakout of my entire life (this seems like a trend with this product). MY FACE never looked worse and it was DURING the last month of high school before i graduated. Sigh..not fun memories. The toner is good and some like the sulfur mask. Its important to make sure the mask is sealed TIGHTLY because when it wasn't it made it IMPOSSIBLE to remove from my skin, and further irritated my skin because i had to scrub it off.

I had mild to mostly moderate acne (rarely severe), it may work for you if you have mild skin. In my opinion, its NOT worth the risk esp when the risk is having the worst breakout of your life!!!

Last edited by kHan artist; 02-21-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
    AlabamaWorley
    (female)

AlabamaWorley HB User

Proactiv made my skin worse, with the exception of the mask - I use it overnight once in a while on a really bad breakout and it helps. Like others here, I've had the best luck with Neutrogena. I also recently started using Mary Kay's 3-in-1 cleanser at night (I received it as a gift), and it seems to work really well so far.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #15
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User

What kind of moisturizer do you all use, and when (morning or night)?

Closed Thread