It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 5th month on accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User
    5th month on accutane

hey everyone!

.... im almost done with my 5th month and am very happy! no pimples *knock on wood lol* and just a few red marks left over that are fading. Dryness is crazzzzzy though!! everywhere - arms, legs, hips, hands...my face isnt even that bad lol. But as long as it keeps improving i wont complain. How is everyones course doing!?

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
    VGN
    (male)

VGN HB User
    Re: 5th month on accutane

Hey lexla, you're on accutane for more than 5 months if I remember correctly, right? How much longer are they keeping you on it? I'm really glad that you're seeing results, every bit of reassurance helps the rest of us

My course is still in the bumpy (literally) first month, still getting a few more spots than usual, and my blackheads are coming out of their cubbyholes, but I'm coping. I'm certainly happier on roaccutane than I was on the other, ineffective treatments, especially when I read other people's success stories!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Hey! Well im not sure how much longer I have on it lol. I know Im going at least 6 months but becaue finals will be coming up and whatnot I am going to ask for 7... i dont think my derm will mind. Don't worry about if you see more things coming out the 1st month- i can't tell you how many times i called my derm saying it was getting worse and why and what do i do...lol. Now i realize its just getting it all out and thats goooood. Btw i like the comparison to cubbyholes lol. But yeah, hang in there, all those will go away!! I didnt see a great improvment til my 4th month, but everyone is different, so it may be next month for you. keep us updated

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
    HappyOdyssey
    (male)

HappyOdyssey HB User

Lovely Lexla - can I ask, did you get any tiny spots on your cheeks during Accutant treatment? I have NEVER had them there before and now I now two very small little bumps there which are quite red, they look like red pin heads actually. This is a new thing for me. Would you say it's normal? I'm taking Accutane for body acne as my face has always been ok and I'm freaking out that the drug is inducing acne on my face too!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
    meredith100
    (female)

meredith100 HB User

Very good to hear of your results. I am on the beginning of month 4 and while i am pleased that my active pimples have almost all gone down, I was starting to panic that it wouldnt be getting any better than this, and i still have these red bumps and these sort of "holes" in my skin...Do you know how derms decide when to stop accutane? Mine says my skin looks so great(!) but for me its far from where Id like it to be...but I guess it could get better in this 4th month still, right?

Old 03-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

hey! yes i get those red ''pinhead'' looking things...mine are flat but sometimes theres like 4 or 5 of them all close together and red. They are weird, I am going to ask my derm when i see him next but im guessing maybe they were clogged pores that were there a long time and stubborn and finally came out? I will let u know when i ask him! As far as getting some on your face don't worry about it....its just getting out whatever wasnt seen and then it will be gone! Hang in there im sure it will be gone soon.
    Meredith- dont worry about it not getting better in month 4, mine really didnt show a good improvement until month 4! Im not sure when derms decide to take a patient off, probably when things seem to be evening out and stable and no major flarups everyonce in awhile.

Hope everything continues to go well for you 2 and everyone else!

Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
    RuBee
    (female)

RuBee HB User

Glad to hear things are going so well for you! Things are also wonderful for me, I really only have two right now, under my eye (this particular area, kindof off the side of my nose seems to being getting all the crap out right now in particular). I just wanted to thank you soooo much for all the help! So, for the usual round of questions... what kind of chapstick do you use? I didn't have trouble with my lips till my derm upped my dose (60 mg a day), and now there cracking in the corners. Also, how long did it take for the red marks, and overall texture of your skin to improve? Did the course thus far leave you with any light scarring, or anything along those lines? It's kind of hard to explain, but on my face most of the pimples are gone, its just the tiny bumps (or overall non-smoothness), and the redmarks/hyperpigmentation that are left. My derm talked about doing a laser after i'm done, but it would of course me lovely if it all cleared up on its own. Thanks again!

Old 03-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #8
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

heya! well i use whatever chapstick i have available, but mostly burtsbees, its really nice. As far as the red marks...they are mostly gone now ( !) but some are still going away and are brownish. They started to go away mostly in my 4th month and have continued to diminish nicely. i dont have much uneveness actually, most of my face is very smooth, maybe one or 2 spots that will be evened out more with laser after the treatment. if only we didnt have to wait 6 months I havent done anything to speed up the process, I dont want to try something that will put me back a step!

Glad that you are doing well!

Old 03-08-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

Hey lexla,

I'm going into my 4th month on accutane and my skin was realli clear (except my chest area.. i still have a couple that just won't go away!!) But then school started and i've been stressing everyday as its my final year and have to do really well.. arghh!!.. Did you get more pimples when you were stressed etc?? I started getting like little red dots too but they have like white little things in them..?? lol.. argh.. its stressing me out too lol! i went the derm 2 days ago and was perfect and so he said he'll put me on for 6 weeks and finish then perhaps.. but now its like little bumps -.-. I also work with MDF wood and perspex for my printmaking as I am an art student.. and i think the dust has something to do with it too maybe... arghhh!!! STRESSED -.-

Old 03-08-2006, 04:36 AM   #10
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

hey *pig_tails*!, Yes stress can make things worse, I had midterms awhile back and did get a few because of the stress, but they go away! Just relax and I do yoga now once every day or every other day and it helps a lot. Im not sure about the printing dust, as long as you wash afterwards you should be fine. Hope it continues to go well for you, seems like your derm is very impressed!

Old 03-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #11
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Not sure what day it is! sorry!! ive got about 3 days left in my 5th month

Going well!! No active spots, and my red marks look like freckles or are gone i love this feeling of confidence again, its much needed. Dryness is still there but better somehow, eucerin really helps me out. No other side effects still, just nervous to go off this stuff! Only 1-2 months left, hopefully forever!

hope everyone well, keep me posted on how your courses are going!

Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

Start of 6th month of a probable 7 month course:

Went to the derm- all is going well, except i swear the man was beet red from working the IPledge stuff...he hates that lol

No active pimples
    Red
    DRYYYYYY
    HAPPY!!!!! lol

I dont mind the dryness, i just blame it on the weather, which is partially true anyways. Still using cetaphil & eucerin and love them, and bare essentials for makeup= great stuff!! Hows everyone on accutane doing?!

Last edited by lexla; 03-17-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
    kdogg
    (male)

kdogg HB User

hey hey lex!!! glad all is going well. I WAS doing awsome, then i decided for some reason i would switch cleansers and i would finish off that neutrogena oil free acne wash...BIG MISTAKE....my face is all blotchy and i broke out in a bunch of little white heads....back to cetaphil it is!!! other than that and hopefully it wont take long to get back im all great...no dryness what so ever...except the eyes..

Good luck and i pray for us both that after our course we are done FOR GOOD!!!!

Old 03-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
    kdogg
    (male)

kdogg HB User

oh ya and i wanted to ask you...do you ever exfoliate while ur on accutane like even once a week or anything at all??

Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #15
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

hey! im sorry to hear about the facial wash mishap! I tried that a long time ago and it did the same thing - cetaphil does seem the way to go while on accutane! Im glad its still been going well for you, im still doing great! I hope it stays that way for us too, i dont think i could go through another breakout without a mental breakdown lol. No I dont exfoliate on accutane, my derm said it is too harsh to do and it would just be scraping off the new skin that has been formed.

Good luck on the rest of your course, i hope its the only/last time for us too!

Closed Thread