It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Retin a micro and irritation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
    cowriles

cowriles HB User
    Retin a micro and irritation

Hey all,

I have been on retin a micro for about 2.5 weeks now.. My face is soooooo red because of it.. I went back to the derm and she said that its retinoid dermatitis and told me to use this steriod lotion that will help with the irritation and to stop the retin a and also the topical clindamycin I use in the morning.. I have to stop using them for 3 days then start the retin a micro and the clindamycin rotating them.. clinda one day only then retin a micro only for that day.. any thoughts on this approach would be great.. i'm kinda skeptical if this is going to work.. and i'm tired of the flaking and redness.. makeup looks aweful on me because of the irritation.. let me know what you guys think please..

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: Retin a micro and irritation

I use retin-a micro at night and clindamycin gel in the morning also. I get some redness, but mostly peeling. I found it helps to skip the weekends, but I would think rotating as your derm suggests would work to. I have been on this combo before and the irritation does get less the longer you use it. I don't even know what the clindagel does....the irritation is probably from the retin a.

Last edited by americandancer; 03-11-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
    surfnchick
    (female)

surfnchick HB User
    Re: Retin a micro and irritation

Sorry to hear about the dermatitis. I don't know if you remember me but we corresponded when you were about to start the retin-a. I'm starting my 7th week now. I have to say it's been really tough. This has been harder to handle emotionally than the 2x I was on Accutane. My skin has improved in some ways: smoother, less clogged pores. But I'm still breaking out, mostly now around my mouth, nose and chin. I guess this is where the greatest concentration of blocked pores are. I'm pretty red also and don't seem to heal very quickly. You should probably follow your derms advice with the alternating days. I'm sure you don't want to delay your progress but patience seems to be essential to this whole treatment process. Be conservative. In my experience, you have to be really careful to only use a SMALL pea-size amount of the retin-a. It doesn't even seem to need to contact every place on your face. I don't put it on my nose, under my eyebrows or below my jawline but I'm still getting the same results in those areas. But if I use a little too much - like a larger pea-size amount- I get much more aggravated skin the next day. All I can recommend is to use the right amount for you. I find that using the aspirin mask in the morning helps reduce the redness alot. Most moisturizers irritate my skin and make it turn even redder. I've switched to Aveeno Ultra-calming moisturizing cream. Not the stuff with the sunscreen (I don't need sunscreen every day. I'm alway indoors.) When I first put it on, it makes me red, but that subsides quickly. Also the moisturizing cream helps with the flakiness. Good luck.

Closed Thread