It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spironolactone for Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #31
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User
    Re: Spironolactone for Acne

Is it safe to take saw palmetto for oily skin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 01:03 AM   #32
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User

Is it a bad thing in the first place to have a horomone that creates too much of something? Why does this happen?

Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 AM   #33
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kesae
    Is it safe to take saw palmetto for oily skin?
    Yes. There are many people on this board taking it. I've been taking 450 mgs for over a year.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 AM   #34
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Is it a bad thing in the first place to have a horomone that creates too much of something? Why does this happen?
    Diet is one reason. All the sugar we eat stimulates the production of testosterone.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:32 AM   #35
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

I always suspected I had too much testosterone (and my mom used to laugh at me!) When I started to have 12 day periods I went to the doctor and that is one of the hormones she tested. I took the results to my awesome dermatologist and she referred me to an endocrinologist for further evaluation and if possible to prescribe spiro for me. Turns out I have a pituitary tumor and they aren't ruling out a mild case of PCOS. Never would have known without my dermo

Old 05-19-2006, 07:24 AM   #36
    lady346
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lady346 HB User

Ok I have another strange question for you all-
    Im going to start taking Spiro in a few weeks. A few years ago, I took doxycycline for my first bad breakout, and it was a miracle for me. However, Ive been taking mino recently and it does nothing. Why would doxy work so well if it really is hormonal and there is hope for Spiro (which I really want there to be!) Im just really having a hard time targeting where my problem lies, and I woke up today with two deep painful cysts that are on matching, yet opposite sides of my chin- I break out symmetrically!!
    Im really hoping this works for me...you all are giving me hope. I also have some samples of Yaz, a lower-dose Yasmin and I dont know if it will make a difference...? Anyone know anything on that? Im going to combine either Yasmin or Yaz with at least 100 mg of Spiro and see what happens...

Old 05-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #37
    1824FreeMe
    (female)

1824FreeMe HB User

About a year ago I ordered Spiro online for my extremely, horrible oily skin. I do not have any insurance and this is why I took my chances and oredered it online. I noticed that it helped control the oil, but anytime I had even two alcohlic drinks I would get violently ill. I am not sure if this is a side effect of taking spiro or it is because it is a bad drug from some strange place. I would love to take it again, but was curious to see if anyone has experienced anything like this while on sprio? Thank you so much!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #38
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by citygirl23
    Why would doxy work so well if it really is hormonal ...
    Because it's treating the symptoms.

Last edited by lindanm; 05-19-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #39
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User

With the saw palmetto, is it okay for women to take because it seems to be geared towards men?

Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #40
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    With the saw palmetto, is it okay for women to take because it seems to be geared towards men?
    I've heard it's one of the herbs in those breast enlargement herbal pills. Anyway, I've been taking 450mgs for over a year and have read discussions here in which many women take it.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #41
    Peaches26
    (female)

Peaches26 HB User

I have a question. I'm almost 30 and have mild hormonal acne, I break out once a month with about 4-5 pimples and I may get 2 throughout the month as well. I use BP and it works ok, but doesn't prevent breakouts before my period.
    I have normal to dry skin...I've heard relativley good things about Saw Palmetto, would it work for me?
    I also read that SP and Nettle have been used for a long to help boost women's sex drive. Hey, if that's true...SCORE. Something that helps acne and boost sex drive, I'm game. Anyone know?

Old 06-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #42
    citybythelake
    (female)

citybythelake HB User

My taking Spiro resulted in cirrosis of the liver. After taking 25 mg. two times per day for 6 months, I began to get really sick. None of my previous blood tests revealed any liver enzyme elevations, and I never failed to have my bloodwork done every 8 weeks as required by my derm. So, three weeks after having a "clear" bloodtest, I began to experience symptoms of extreme muscle weakness, fatigue, nausea, and a 10 lb. drop in weight. My general practioner ordered more bloodwork, and my liver enzymes were found to be 1000 points higher than normal. Over the next few weeks, and after many a hospital visit, I was diagnosed with cirrosis - luckily it was caught in the earliest stages. Now, I am almost fully recovered, but I have to take two different drugs every day just to prevent my liver from failing, and ironically Prednisone is one of them - and it causes ACNE.

Anyway, be careful with Spiro. When I was able to take it, my skin was clear, but now I may end up needing a liver transplant. Not good.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #43
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User

Thats scary to hear city-I feel bad for you. I hope your doing better.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #44
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User

How old were you when you were taking it city?

Old 07-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #45
    meow_doldol
    (female)

meow_doldol HB User

I just started Spiro a week and a half ago and I am having worse acne (white heads and cysts) than before and in more places than I normally do. I also have more oily face and my hair is more rough. I am not sure how long its suppose to take before seeing improvements, have you guys noticed acne worsening in the first month or two before you started to see improvement? I am thinking I should discontinue, but I am not sure how long I should wait. I am taking 50mg twice a day. Thanks.

Closed Thread