It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne scars!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
    at101
    Inactive
    (male)

at101 HB User
    Acne scars!

My problem is not Acne anymore. But I have scaring left from my acne on my cheeks. Some suggested laser, dermibrasion or micro-dermibrasion etc. But I am not sure what to do as all these treatment cost lots of money. Anyone else went through this and did something that helped? please help because the scaring can be just as discouraging as acne.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
    Stacey02
    (female)

Stacey02 HB User
    Re: Acne scars!

on a different post someone suggested using neosporin cream.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
    kHan artist
    (male)

kHan artist HB User

i won't recommend neosporin. it may cause you to breakout and it will thin your skin. Its meant to be used for wounds to promote healing not for scars. Consider researching some essential oils - ppl on this board swear by camellia, jojoba, and tamanu oil. I'm trying out camellia right now. Don't expect a quick fix (obviously). It may be 6months to a year before you notice results with these oils (or so i've been told, not firsthand experience).

If you want more immediate results consult a derm. A bunch of people here have used at home microderm kits (e.g. epidermx) or peels. While they might work some, the professional treatments (lasers, collagen injections etc.) will get you better results. And plus, why risk making your skin worse. leave it to the professionals. Also look into Chemical peels - depending on its strength- they can certainly smooth out scars.

Last edited by kHan artist; 04-06-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Neosporin won't thin your skin. It won't help old acne scars, but will help a zit that's popped to heal faster with less of a chance of scarring.

My advice is work your way up from the least invasive to the most invasive procedure/treatment to see if you get any improvements anywhere on the ladder.

Start with at home microdermabrasion like Epidermx. They're like $30 per container, and mine has lasted 4 months already. You can apply the camellia oil they sell, too. They recommend it.

Try that for 3-6 months; if you aren't satisifed with the results move up to medical microdermabrasion. Don't go to a spa for this; go to a dermatologist who can be more aggressive with the microdermabrasion. It won't do "much" for deep scars, but "can" be effective for shallow rolling scars. This is anywhere from $65-150 per treatment depending upon where you live. You need a series of 5-10. It's gotten mixed reviews. Only your dermatologist will be able to tell you if he thinks it can help your skin.

You can also do peels. Again, go to a dermatologist and not a day spa. The derms can be more aggressive and use higher strength peels. These range in price as well. You often need a series of 4-6 spaced 2-4 weeks apart. I've seen them priced similar to microdermbrasion treatments.

Some dermatologists will recommend the patient using a Retin-A topical product as a pre/post-treatment during the microdermabrasion or chemical peel stages. They "can" help with scars over time, too. My dermatologist recommends using a Retin-A for the scarring even without doing anything else.

Lastly, I would consider dermabrasion. It's a lot more expensive. I've seen people say it cost them $3,000 for the procedure. That's a lot of money, and there's a lot of down time. This procedure has the best chance of improving your scars, but it comes with more risks and is obviously more costly. I would wait until you've exhausted your other options before you consider this.

I forgot to say you could do "self-needling" techniques at home. If you search around for it, I'm sure you'll find more information on how to do it.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 04-07-2006 at 02:53 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User

I agree Neosporin/Polysporin only helps to facilitate healing and minimize scarring when you apply it over newly popped zits, but it won't do anything once the pitted scars become permanent.

If you are patient enough to give it 6 to 12 months, I'd recommend Silkia camellia oil and Epidermx microdermabrasion. They're inexpensive and really work, at least for me. I had a few pretty deep and old pits on my forehead and after using these 2 products they have either totally disppeared or 99% filled in. I have another couple of pits immediately above my upper lip and they are more than half filled in. These stuff don't work overnight. I didn't see any big difference until about 5 or 6 months into it and I have been using them for over a year now. They take quite a while to see results but cost far less and are painless.

The last poster mentioned Retin-A and I agree it may also help. But again it will take time to see results.

I really don't believe a series of 12 or more professional microdermation will do anything big for deep scars. Neither do peels. Scars take a long time to heal.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #6
    kHan artist
    (male)

kHan artist HB User

yes, i was incorrect about neosporin thinning out your skin. I was actually thinking about hydrocortisone/cortisone.

Neosporin does have a specific scar solution. Has anyone tried that?

Old 04-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Neosporin cream is something I use. The ointment and cream's inactive ingredients are different. The ointment contains pore-clogging substances; whereas, the cream does not.

I would say it definitely helps them heal. Make sure when you use the neosporin not to let it sit on the skin without rubbing it in. It will harden on the skin and has lead to some scabs for some people. Make sure to rub it in fully.

Polysporin cream is another option.

The microdermabrasion and peels won't cure scars by any stretch of the imagination...Medical microdermabrasion performed by a dermatologist has a chance of helping the scars a lot more than spas could. I would think the logic would be flawed if someone were to say at home Epidermx is effective (or can be) and medical microdermabrasion doesn't help at all. Obviously, if a less invasive at home procedure is going to help a scar, the more aggressive treatment in a doctors office is going to help the scar. If the at home product helps, the medical version has to help. The doctor can be more aggressive with the treatment and even make the skin "bleed" which some people with deep scarring actually request. I've seen people's skin tremendously helped with medical microdermabrasion. I've also seen it not do anything other than reduce red marks and help give the skin a more healthy glow, not really helping too much with scars.

Certain peels can do wonders for acne scars. Research the TCA peels. They can be highly effective. Never perform any high strength peel by yourself. Make sure you have a Dr. skilled in that area performing the peel.

Often a combination of things can be tried.

Like I mentioned the Retin-A topical creams are used as a pre/post treatment for peels and microdermabrasion.

None of these things are guaranteed to help eliminate the problem, but they can greatly help if you stick with the regimen and be healthy!

Drink plenty of water (adding a lemon can benefit some). Take a multivitamin. Take a B-Complex Vitamin. Take a Vitamin C supplement. Take a Vitamin E supplement. You can even rotate in a seperate zinc supplement every other week. You want to make sure you have all the nutrients on the inside, to help you heal things on the outside. <---These are all suggestions, not saying you have to do any of them!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulletinboard25
    I would think the logic would be flawed if someone were to say at home Epidermx is effective (or can be) and medical microdermabrasion doesn't help at all.
    What I mean is people usually only do a series of 6 to 12 professional microdermabrasion and if they expect that is going to do anything big for their deep scars, let alone completely eliminate them, it's not going to happen. It's possible only if they are going to do it continuously month after month. But at what cost? If the scars are very shallow, it's possible they can be significantly reduced by just a couple of medical microderm treatments. There are some members here who have said that this kind of treatments didn't do anything signicant for their scars. Search on the Internet and you will see tons of people who say that microdermabrasion doesn't do anything for pitted scars. The reason? Because they only do 6 to 12 treatments.

What I am saying is not that a home kit like Epidermx is more effective, but that it works because you use it consistently over a period of time. I didn't see results after 12 applications, I only saw a noticeable difference after 5-6 months, and that's together with the use Silkia camellia oil which is said to have scar healing properties. I didn't see my pits totally or almost totally filled in until after one year.

Last edited by waterlily; 04-08-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
    desireegx
    (female)

desireegx HB User

I use Epidermx and Silkia camellia oil too and I actually think the oil is helping with my indentations more than the microderm scrub. I used Epidermx followed by another moisturizer for some time and didn't really see any big improvements. But they are looking much better after I introduced the oil, and my pores are smaller also.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I understand what you're saying about the costs of the medical version and them only getting 6-12 procedures.

It really depends on the severity of the scarring... I guess I'm talking about the mild to slightly moderate acne scarring. Then, I believe the 4-10 treatments would really help a person. Maybe not all the way, but definitely some.

I think it would be in a persons best interest to use an at home microdermabrasion, like Epidermx, in between their medical microdermabrasions, and continue using the at home one after they have completed all their medical sessions. Would you agree that would probably be wise?

I would think that someone with VERY severe scarring shouldn't even bother with peels or microdermabrasion. They should go straight to excisions, punch floats, skin grafting, fillers, laser resurfacing, and dermabrasion. A person with severe, deep acne scarring isn't going to benefit from peels and microdermabrasion.

I guess I should have been a little bit more specific with the kind of scars I was referring to, since mild-moderate is what I've been battling.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
    redlygirl
    (female)

redlygirl HB User

I agree with bulletinboard 25 there are so many things you can have done.

Last edited by redlygirl; 04-09-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
    allibear
    (female)

allibear HB User

Hello all! Please someone tell me if I can use Epidermx and Silkia Camellia Oil while I'm taking Accutane. I want to help get rid of the dark spots and old acne marks while I'm healing my face. I'm almost finished with Accutane. Thank you all in advance.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User

You can use the Silkia camellia oil while on Accutane but for Epidermx maybe wait until you are done with Accutane.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulletinboard25
    I think it would be in a persons best interest to use an at home microdermabrasion, like Epidermx, in between their medical microdermabrasions, and continue using the at home one after they have completed all their medical sessions. Would you agree that would probably be wise?
    I agree that would be the best course of action. Many don't get that pitted scars take a LOOOONG time to recover and they expect rapid results. The truth is unless the scars are very shallow, doing just a couple of professional microdermabrasion treatments will simply be money down the drain.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

I would not recommend anybody to use Epidermx while on accutane. Only use moisturizer during accutane. Accutane should not be used w/ any other product.

I used Epidermx like for a month in the past and it can be rough with the skin (I can't say much about the results b/c I didn't use it long enough) I did like my skin texture when I used epidermx and will probably use it in the future.

As far as the original topic. Sorry I'm still trying to work w/ my own scars. I'm following my derm instructions to leave my face alone for two months after my course. I will have a microdermabrasion next monday. I have seen very mixed comments, and a lot of people say it's a waste of money. I still want to give it a try, in case it works.

Closed Thread