It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Getting off Clear & Smooth. On Duac and Differin.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User
    Re: Getting off Clear & Smooth. On Duac and Differin.

earthdayapril22, that's encouraging to hear !

As promised, here is my update for week 1 of using differin:

First, a little background: I have mild/moderate acne. I have a bunch of small bumps over most of my face and ~10 medium sized zits sprinkled here and there at any given time.
    Day 1-3: Skin is the same as when I started
    Day 4: The sensitive areas of my nose are burning a little bit because I accidentally applied differin there. Skin is breaking out a little bit more.
    Day 5: Most of my skin now feels irritated. Acne looks the same as the day before.
    Day 6: Skin feels itchy. I'm trying to resist the temptation to scratch. I started to break out a bit more on my right cheek (like 3-4 more zits than normal).
    Day 7: Skin feels and looks the same as yesterday, but my nose no longer burns. Yay!

I love the Cetaphil cleanser because it is so soothing when i use it. Overall my skin isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Knock on wood. We'll see how week #2 goes... I'm bracing myself for the bad breakout that people talk about.

jack27514, I just read your post that you wrote about being depressed. I totally know what you mean! When my skin gets really bad I don't want to leave my apartment. Going to work seems like a daunting task and worst of all is looking at myself in the mirror. There is a certain subset of my friends that I probably won't be hanging out with for the next 12 weeks because I feel too ugly to see them until my skin starts to look better. On the other hand, there are certain people in my life that are incredibly supportive and I feel better just being around them b/c of how they make me feel. They keep telling me how I'm crazy and its not as bad as I think it is .

I hope your treatment is going well so far; best of luck to you too!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #17
    jack27514
    (male)

jack27514 HB User

Update 2:
    I've been applying Differin one day and Duac the next for a
    week now. Thus far, a week later I've seen no improvement.
    In fact, I've developed a few more pimples here and there.

Earlier today, I checked the sides of my face
    and what I saw disgusted me! Just last Xmas, I had clear skin. Six months
    later, I'm hideous! Why the crap is this happening to me? And to think that
    I might suffer an initial breakout with Differin for the next two months, I dont
    know if I keep it all together if my complexion worsens for that long. I've been so down lately, and I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel so fragile like now. If anything else goes haywire in my life, it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I visited the derm the other day, and he felt comfortable prescribing me Accutane, although I "only" have moderate and persistent acne.
    But I opted out, as I fear the potentially severe side effects. My plan is to try Differin, Duac, and Doxycycline for the next two months, and if my face isn't clear by the beginning of August, I'm jumping on the Accuatane bandwagon.

I guess one reason for this rant is, hopefully, two months from now, I can look back with clear skin, and laugh this off.

Last edited by jack27514; 06-04-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #18
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Hi jack27514, if you have a few more pimples that probably means the medicine is working. I think the insert says something about bringing the pimples to the surface. (This morning I woke up with a megazit on my left cheek and tried to tell myself that this is a good sign ) .

I think people that suffer from acne amplify their own perception of it. A few weeks ago was really bad and I thought I looked like a monster. My mom kept saying that she really couldn't see any difference, and my boyfriend was like "its not really that bad". Then I would rant about how "no, it really is horrible and I HATE myself". Recently, I looked at some pictures of myself from that week and it actually didn't look as bad as I perceived it at the time! So the point I'm trying to get at is, I'm sure you aren't hideous at all and its probably not as bad as you think. I have some friends that have acne and I really don't think about it when I see them. So, stay strong . *HUG*.

I used doxycycline at one point and it worked pretty well. I think that should help keep your initial breakout under control.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #19
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Week 2 update:
    Day 8: Chin is really breaking out.
    Day 9: One zit on chin is turning into a huge zit. Even though I'm breaking out more, the zits seem to have a shorter lifecycle. They seem to pop up and disappear quicker than before I started using differin
    Day 10: MEGAzit on left cheek. Overall my skin seems worse than last week.
    Day 11: Skin looks *slightly* better. Skin is a little less itchy. New zit on right cheek.
    Day 12: A few new pimples. The cheek area below my eyes looks really smooth!
    Day 13: Same as yesterday. Chin is clearing up. Starting to get more zits on right cheek now.
    Day 14: A little better than yesterday. Along my right jawline is where I have the most zits right now.

Overall my skin is no longer itchy/irritated as it was last week. I think my skin is getting used to differin . My acne has calmed down towards the end of week 2 and looks somewhat like it did last week which I'm very relieved about.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #20
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Week 3 has NOT been fun....here is my update:

Day 15: Large zit on chin and upperlip. A few more zits on forehead.
    Day 16: Large zit on chin burst.
    Day 17: No change.
    Day 18: Forehead has lots of zits now . Jawline is healing and looks better (it was breaking out a lot last week).
    Day 19: Forehead is a getting worse. Texture is *so* bumpy that when I wash that area, it feels foreign to me. Rest of face is slightly worse, although my jawline is now completely clear except the discoloration the zits left behind.
    Day 20: Ugh. Its like WWIII on my forehead. Not pretty. Rest of face has a bit more zits. My forehead is now in the "severe acne" category of acne while the rest of my face is still in the "moderate acne" category. I am really worried that the rest of my face will start looking as bad as my forehead.
    Day 21: No improvement

So I think its safe to say that my forehead is DEFINITELY in the initial breakout stage now. Seems like around the 3rd week mark of trying a new product all hell breaks loose on my face. It was the same way with Carley's Clear & Smooth...although the main difference was that my skin was getting SO itchy on the 3rd week of using C&S that I think I was starting to have an allergic reaction to it. Thankfully Differin is not making my skin itch on the third week.

The posting by kHan artist gives me some hope and has encouraged me to stick with it:
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=400507&page=1&pp=5[/url]

Jack, I hope the differin + duac is working out for you! Hang in there

Last edited by meruru; 06-16-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Can't get that url to show as a link.. oh well.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #21
    esteveney
    (female)

esteveney HB User
    Exclamation Re: Getting off Clear & Smooth. On Duac and Differin.

I just purchased Clear and Smooth bar soaps. I do not have any skin problems. After reading some of the quotes I have trepitations about using the product. Does anyone know where it is manufactured? I couldn't find any Federal Health and Safety stamp on the product. :

Old 06-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #22
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

esteveney, no idea where clear and smooth products are manufactured. Although the scrub made my face very itchy, the soap bars seemed fine. I have pretty sensitive skin and I didn't have any adverse reaction to the bar of soap.

Here is my update for Week 4 of using Differin:
    Day 22: Forehead feels very bumpy still and now it is getting really crusty. Large zit on right jawline.
    Day 23: No new zits on forehead. More pimples on left cheek.
    Day 24: Another day with no new zits on forehead...Yay! A few new ones on the rest of my face.
    Day 25: Forehead is *really* crusty now from all the pimples healing. I decided to use Origin's Swept Away (a skin slougher...I wouldn't categorize it as an exfoliator b/c it is much more gentle) to remove the dead skin. After using swept away, my forehead was so much softer! Overall skin looks better.
    Day 26: Couple new pimples on forehead.
    Day 27: No more large zits on my forehead! Only a bunch of small ones remain.
    Day 28: Forehead looks very improved from yesterday.

Overall week 4 was MUCH better than week 3 . Still worse than before I started the Differin treatment, but I can tolerate this. Jack, haven't heard from you in a while... hope things are going well for you. Let me know how its working out for or if you decided to stop the treatment (which I totally understand if you had another bad reaction to it).

Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #23
    jack27514
    (male)

jack27514 HB User

Hi Meruru,

The last two weeks has been one of the toughest periods of my life...and it's all thanks to stupid acne. At times, I wished that I could just fall asleep for two months straight and wake up in August with clear skin. This has been the worst summer yet, and the light at the end of the tunnel is fairly dim.

After four weeks of Differin one night and Duac the next, my skin hasn't improved from when I first started. (Recently, I started using both Differin and Duac once a day.) Although my face has calmed down a bit after the initial breakout, there's still a lot of red marks. I'm just praying that I've passed the IB stage and that it'll be smooth sailing henceforth.

I have an appointment with my derm late July, and if my complexion hasnt noticeably improved by then, then I'm prolly gonna jump on the Accutane train. Let's just hope I dont have to resort to that.

Thanks for the updates and good luck!

P.S. I'm sorry if my last few posts have been rather depressing. I just wish that I could be more positive, but it's hard right now. Let's hope my next update will bring better news.

Last edited by jack27514; 06-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #24
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Hi Jack, glad to hear you stuck it thru those 2 difficult weeks and stayed on the medication . If your skin has calmed down a bit, the medicine is working. Because if it wasn't it would only get worse. I have a lot of redmarks on my forehead and jawline from the initial breakout. That's probably why they say it takes a long time for medicines like this to work: first you have your initial breakout which can take a few weeks or even longer, then you have to wait for the red marks to fade, and finally you will be able to see clear skin.

Have you seen the before and after pictures for people that use Differin? I found them promising and realistic: the people don't have makeup in their "After" pictures (which Proactiv ALWAYS does in their infomercials). So you get the sense that what you see there is really how it is. Anyway, if you google Differin and do a bit of poking around you should be able to find their before and after pics. (I would include the link, but its not allowed :P). You can see that for some people it works after 4 weeks and others it takes 8 weeks or more. Its worth sticking through in my opinion b/c the results look fantastic.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #25
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Update for Week 5 using Differin:
    Day 29: Breaking out on the bridge of my nose.
    Day 30: 4 big zits on my chin . Big zit right between my eyes.
    Day 31: I see a bunch of small red bumps on my right cheek. These look like they are going to turn into a battlezone.
    Day 32: Left jaw has 3 big zits. Bumps on right cheek are bigger. 10 zits broke out on the right side of forehead.
    Day 33: Skin feels a lot smoother today.
    Day 34: Skin looks good today! No new zits
    Day 35: Forehead getting more bumpy again. 4 new zits on my right cheek. Definitely getting worse today.

I compared a picture of myself from last week and my skin looks better than Week 4. But its still worse than when I started... <sigh> . When I look at the photos before I started Differin, I kind of wonder why I decided to try a new treatment... I had a bunch of zits before I started, but compared to now it looked clear!

I'm kind of surprised I stuck with it for 5 weeks. Well, I'm going to keep going...and if doesn't seem to be improving after the 12 week mark, I'll probably throw in the towel.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #26
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Well, its been 6 weeks that I've been on Differin and I really cannot see any improvement. . To summarize, my acne flared up on my forehead and chin for a few days. Then I had a meltdown b/c of it, and then my acne calmed down. (Luckily the flare up on my forehead wasn't quite as bad as the one during week 3).

The last few weeks seems like I've hit some sort of plateau where there isn't much change. When I compare my skin to last week, I have a few more zits compared to the last week (and a ton of red marks which are lingering).

<SIGH>.... I hate my skin!!! I don't understand why I have acne when I am 26 years old! My brother grew out of it already and my parents didn't have acne beyond their teenage years. I have the same diet as my family because my mom raised us to be healthconscious. My life is much more laid back now that I have a fun job, supportive boyfriend and barely any stress... What is going on??

Old 07-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #27
    philfan
    (male)

philfan HB User

im on retin-a micro and doxy so i can't really speak on behalf of differin...however the only thing i can tell you is that with any topical or oral medication that is going to work - u must give it time....keep applying the differin...u should begin to clear up nicely...if not i would try retin -a ...its really good

Old 07-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #28
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

philfan, thanks for your encouragement. I will add retin-A to my list of "things to try" if Differin doesn't work out.

Week 7 update:
    My skin has gotten a little worse this week . So when you compare the starting photo with how I look today, it looks pretty bad. I have a TON of blackheads right now and I'm not sure if its from the Differin, or the lack of using a scrub (like Proactiv or Clear & Smooth). Feeling tempted to go back proactiv...but I've stayed on it for so long that I may as well try to the end of 12 weeks.

I think I need something with beads to help get rid of the blackheads. Can anybody recommend a scrub to use that won't have any negative interactions with Differin?

Old 07-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #29
    jack27514
    (male)

jack27514 HB User

Meruru,

Sorry to hear that your skin isnt improving with Differin yet. I didnt enjoy
    any success either.

After 6 wks, I finally lost all patience, went to the derm, and now
    I'm on Accutane--60 mg/ day.

Good luck with your current regimen. Hope things clear up for you.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #30
    jpmadrid
    (female)

jpmadrid HB User

C&S has been a nightmare for me. I thought it was working the first few days but now at the end of the 4th week my entire face is hideously broken out. I read on another thread someone who had this problem and then went down to 1 or 2x a week w/ the scrub, but at this point I am ready to scrap it altogether. I have no insurance and no topicals have ever worked long term for me so I'll be looking in to PDT w/ ALA as my next option. Having acne this bad at age 26 is just not fair!

Closed Thread