It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Need to STOP PICKING!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
    lemondrop
    (female)

lemondrop HB User
    Need to STOP PICKING!!!

I guess I have what is considered mild acne where 9 times out of 10, it's in the form of a painful underground zit on my chin (rarely do I ever get one anywhere else). I'll get one and as it's fading out, another one comes, and as that goes, another one appears. It's a vicious cycle but what's worse is that I have a terrible time keeping my hands away. I just KNOW that if I didn't try to squeeze them, I wouldn't look nearly as bad and I know I make them worse then they are (sometime I make something out of nothing). I recently read that picking/ squeezing is a psychological thing (self-destructive behavior, you were picked on as a kid, yadda yadda). But all that aside, has anyone got tips on how you avoid touching your face? I seem to be my own worst enemy! THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User
    Re: Need to STOP PICKING!!!

I don't think picking/squeezing is necessarily a psychological issue. I think it's perfectly normal to want to touch or pick at something you don't feel belongs there. The hardest thing to do is to do nothing. I know everytime I get a pimple, I can't just leave it alone. But experience has taught that picking at it or popping it makes things worse. When the pimple heals, I get a dark patch in the area and it takes weeks of exfoliating and shaving to get rid of it. I don't have any tips for you except to say that when you find yourself thinking about popping it, remind yourself of what a mess it'll make and how the aftermath will look just as bad.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

keep lotion on your hands when you think you might be tempted to pick - that helped me a lot, plus it made my hands soft and pretty

Old 04-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
    Divation
    Veteran
    (female)

Divation HB User

Cutting my nails really, really short helped with the picking. As far as popping goes, I only pop the ones that have whiteheads. Anything else, blemishes, cysts....They need to heal.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
    K_Angel

K_Angel HB User

sit on your hands when you want to pick...just like avoiding biting your nails or doing some other bad habit. takes some work, but it ends up helping

Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User

I used to pick obsessively too. Now I use aspirin mask or Queen Helene Mint Julep mask which helps to dry up the zits very fast, so there is nothing much left for me to pick at.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
    shlindz
    (female)

shlindz HB User

I am an obsessive picker too. I just go crazy in front of the mirror. I beg myself to stop but it just doesn't happen. I have fairly good skin. I get a regular "monthly" breakout of 3 or 4 zits, that would probably go away on their own in a couple days. But I seek and destroy, leaving this ugly scars and scabs that last so much longer. I'm glad I found this thread. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Infact, there are medical names for it. Its called phsycogenic excoriation (compulsive skin picking- CSP) or another being BDD (body dismporphic disorder). Here's how to distinguish them: if its to better your appearance (smooth out the skin) then its probably BDD. If its out of habit such as when someone scratches their arms or legs, then its more than likely CSP. either condition is treatable. CSP (a form of OCD- Obsessive compulsive Disorder) and BDD are both treatable with medication.
    I actually just found out all this today from another thread on this message board from 2003. I never thought I had an actual mental problem when it came to picking, I just thought I was crazy for making things worse. However, it does make sense to me why it's like some big stress release. I'v been picking since I was in early highschool and it just hasn't got better. Sometimes I'd have good weeks and then I'd just have horrible weeks after that. I don't know why I do this to myself and it just makes me want to cry when I look in a mirror. I know how great I feel on those good weeks with clear skin so why don't I allow my self to have good weeks. If anyone knows how to make this cycle stop I wanna be the first to know. Good luck y'all!

The Following User Says Thank You to shlindz For This Useful Post:
    ashamed picker (09-21-2012)
    Closed Thread