It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Nizoral

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User
    Nizoral

Hi, a while ago my derm gave me Nizoral (ketocanoazole? sp) shampoo for seborric (sp?) dermatitis. She said this helps control yeast (which I think I have a lot of from taking antibiotics). She also mentioned that she tells her acne patients they can use it on their skin as a facewash.

Well, has anyone else done this? I do not use it every day on my face, but when I do the next day my skin does seem to be better. I'm wondering if it's the Nizoral or just a coincedence.

Also, I recently found out that Nizoral also comes in tablets and was wondering if anyone has been given this for acne. (I looked it up on the net, though, and what I saw said it's used to treat fungal infections...not yeast...so I dunno).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
    macro
    Inactive
    (male)

macro HB User
    Re: Nizoral

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steffers2318
    Hi, a while ago my derm gave me Nizoral (ketocanoazole? sp) shampoo for seborric (sp?) dermatitis. She said this helps control yeast (which I think I have a lot of from taking antibiotics). She also mentioned that she tells her acne patients they can use it on their skin as a facewash.

Well, has anyone else done this? I do not use it every day on my face, but when I do the next day my skin does seem to be better. I'm wondering if it's the Nizoral or just a coincedence.

Also, I recently found out that Nizoral also comes in tablets and was wondering if anyone has been given this for acne. (I looked it up on the net, though, and what I saw said it's used to treat fungal infections...not yeast...so I dunno).
    the reason that it can help with acne is its an anti-androgen-- you dont want to take tablets (unless you are undergoing a sex change or have a severe internal fungal infection)

Old 05-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
    Dee74
    (female)

Dee74 HB User
    Re: Nizoral

Well, first off, let me say that fungal infections and yeast infections of the body are pretty much the same thing..

I've had issues with Seborrheic Dermatitis for a few years and because of some medical issues I've had, I ended up with Pityrosporum Folliculitis (fungus) on my upper torso for close to a year.. it was misdiagnosed by 2 different doctors and was told it was just a heat rash (grrr). It's commonly associated with SD. Because of the SD on my scalp, I was plagued with tiny little pimple looking things around my hairline and just under my jaw.. which, apparently alot of people have with SD. Once it was all ACCURATELY diagnosed (yes this still irks me), I was prescribed Nizoral cream to use for 2 weeks (to start off with) and advised to start using Nizoral shampoo every other day. Since I'd had it for so long, it was pretty difficult to clear it up.. I ended up using the cream for just over 3 weeks.

Now, since I tend to have night sweats (fungus/yeast loves sweat), I still need to shampoo with Nizoral every other day and I've also been advised to use it on my body as well to keep it from coming back. Every other day, when I'm going to shampoo with Nizoral, I apply it to my chest, upper back, neck, and the sides of my face while my skin is dry.. I let that set for 10 minutes, then shower as usual. Works wonders for me. So far, the fungus hasn't gone on me since

There is a pill form of the Nizoral, and this summer, it's possible I will need it since eventually since I sweat ALOT. So far, this is definately working though.

Bottom line, it shouldn't hurt you to use the Nizoral shampoo on your face a couple days a week

Last edited by Dee74; 05-05-2006 at 07:03 AM.

Closed Thread